Sign in to follow this  

what the hell happen to my cam chain

this happen after I pulled the top end off, &%$#@!! now I can't unkink it, at all. Tried two guys pulling it, one on each side with a channel lock on the kink pushing it back flat. Anyone ever see this? This is an '06 crf150f

wtfcamchain_zpsba77a044.jpg

Edited by goosey

I know since getting into this sport I have been surprised at the amount of cam chain failures I have seen here. So far no CRF but PLENTY of the Green and Blue stuff has either seized, broken or just come off often with greater damage following.

I know since getting into this sport I have been surprised at the amount of cam chain failures I have seen here. So far no CRF but PLENTY of the Green and Blue stuff has either seized, broken or just come off often with greater damage following.

It's not the brand of bike , it's more do do with lack of maintenance . The cam chain and cam chain tensioner need to be inspected .

It's not the brand of bike , it's more do do with lack of maintenance . The cam chain and cam chain tensioner need to be inspected .

You are correct, however I am simply stating what I have seen come into the shop and why.

I completely agree.. 

I replace my cam chain every time I rebuild the top end. The chain is $35.00 for my 450R and I run a MCCT. Gives me peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about the cam chain for 30 bucks.

JL

0910131910.jpg

0910131909.jpg

0914131823.jpg

• Like 1

I completely agree.. 

I replace my cam chain every time I rebuild the top end. The chain is $35.00 for my 450R and I run a MCCT. Gives me peace of mind knowing I don't have to worry about the cam chain for 30 bucks.

JL

Yeah , the MCCT is the first upgrade I do to a new bike , and record the valve clearances at the same time .

• Like 1

Those cam chains need to be replaced at least every 2 years. It's a 4-S

On a 150F? My 2003 CRF150F has the original cam chain in it. Ten years, no problems. Maybe every 2 years on a 150R / 250R / 450R, but not a 150F.

interesting...im riding an '03 with the stock chain driving a 89a cam.

I race 10 (2) hour hare scrambles each year plus pasture and trail / fun time.

no issues on this 10 year old machine.

but i am super anal on oil changes and valve clearences...

• Like 1

On a 150F? My 2003 CRF150F has the original cam chain in it. Ten years, no problems. Maybe every 2 years on a 150R / 250R / 450R, but not a 150F.

Mike,

On the 150F and 230F's the cam chain will probably last for years since those bikes were not built for racing at sustained rpm's against the rev limiter. I replace the cam chain on my 450R once a year regardless since it's so cheap. Only $30 - $35.00 bucks. No required, but certainly added insurance on the 450R's.  

JL

interesting...im riding an '03 with the stock chain driving a 89a cam.

I race 10 (2) hour hare scrambles each year plus pasture and trail / fun time.

no issues on this 10 year old machine.

but i am super anal on oil changes and valve clearences...

You're also riding a bike that doesn't turn 14k rpm.  :)

Some of us are not reading what the original poster wrote in this thread. Here, look again, then go up and read his post in full.

This is an '06 crf150f

The bike is a 2006 Honda CRF150F. F not R. The cam chain doesn’t need replaced every couple years. The cam chain doesn’t need replaced every time you do a top end job. The bike doesn’t run at 14,000 RPM. (BTW, neither does a 450R)

It’s an air cooled bullet proof play bike! Not a liquid cooled hand grenade racer.

My CRF150F is 10 years old and has the original cam chain in it. There’s no reason it can’t last another 10 years! And it gets rode hard, real hard.

I have a 1974 Honda XL350 that went 30 years with the original cam chain. The only reason I replaced it was because I just happened to be there. I went threw the entire engine and replaced everything. I’m sure the new cam chain in my XL350 is good for another 20-30 years.

Proper preventative maintenance on these air cooled Hondas really works. Take care of your equipment, and it will take care of you.

My first guess as to what happened to the chain in the OP was lack of maintenance. Sure, it could be a rare instance of sub standard quality, but that’s rare.

lol thanks Mike. Got it replaced, really now big deal at all, and wasn't lack of maintenance. After I removed the flywheel I see the guide plate that stops the chain from falling off the crank - NICE! But, I guess when I spun the crank by hand to get the rod where I needed it (to change the piston) the chain links got jammed up in the there Somehow, how, I really don't think I'll figure out. Got it overnighted to the dealership, no biggy. but in the heat of the moment when you're ready to bolt it up and hear it run and break it in, and you see that sh*t, jesus that's damn agrivating