Moving to california

In december or january I am moving to Los Angeles for a job. I was out there this summer and learned a few things, especially how different it is from my home (metro detroit) and Michigan as a whole. I'm trying to prepare for all of this, and since i'm basically bringing what I can fit in my car and won't have much, getting set up to ride asap is a top priority when I get out there.

I know there are lots of tracks in that area which is great, got to ride a few and I can't wait to see the rest. But I'm trying to think how I can make this all happen as living in the city offers so many great restrictions. I plan on getting some 1 br apartment for about $1000 a month, I'm sure i'll be entitled to 1 parking spot and thats it. I'm used to garages (and basements) here in michigan. So as far as where I'm going to store my bike and trailer, I'm thinking a storage unit nearby for easy access, but I don't know if this is feasible yet, I can only imagine they are very expensive, does anyone know? Also, do you ever see apt complexes that offer garages?

Just trying to make some plans in my head so I can get back on the bike asap (winters coming soon here, really looking forward to year round riding). If anyone has advice for things to do or not to do please post them.

find a apt complex with a garage.. i got one.. there around.

i looked into storage unit too.. its much cheaper to get a garage instead 

Awesome because last I checked too your not supposed to wrench in storage units, and thats half the fun /(and frustration) for me. Luckily I am really easy about picking a place to live, I don't have much shit and I could care less about aesthetics. Do you mind me asking what your rent is so I know what I can expect? I feel as if i'm going to pay a nice premium for a garage.

Edit: Also I'm dying to know this, I'll be working full time so I'll only be able to ride on the weekends. I remember the traffic was always lighter on the weekends, still some bad times though (holidays...), but the only thing worse than driving 2.5+ hours home from a track all burnt out here in michigan would be rotting in LA traffic all burnt out. I almost fell asleep at the wheel a scary amount of times out there. Does getting to and from the track tend to be a problem on the weekends?

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 1

not gonna find anywhere in LA garage or not for $1k...unless it real deep in the hood and you have govment assistance. good luck

x2 . . .

LA is a very big place . . . where specifically is your job as that will dictate where you need to look? Traffic controls a lot.  A 20 mile drive one way would be a breeze and take you 20-30 minutues, if you need to go the same 20 miles in a different direction, it could easily take you a couple of hours.  1K per month won't get you very far at all . . . maybe a studio, but probably not a 1 bdrm w/ a garage, unless you are out in the sticks, but then the commute will be a nightmare or in the hood.  Better pick up Rosetta Stone and get used to gun shots . . . but then again depending on where in MI, maybe you'll just need to focus on the Rosetta Stone and already be used to the gun shots. ?  I would plan on more like 1500 and up a month for a 1 bdrm w/ a garage in most areas.

Edited by schmo

x2 . . .

LA is a very big place . . . where specifically is your job as that will dictate where you need to look? Traffic controls a lot.  A 20 mile drive one way would be a breeze and take you 20-30 minutues, if you need to go the same 20 miles in a different direction, it could easily take you a couple of hours.  1K per month won't get you very far at all . . . maybe a studio, but probably not a 1 bdrm w/ a garage, unless you are out in the sticks, but then the commute will be a nightmare or in the hood.  Better pick up Rosetta Stone and get used to gun shots . . . but then again depending on where in MI, maybe you'll just need to focus on the Rosetta Stone and already be used to the gun shots. ?  I would plan on more like 1500 and up a month for a 1 bdrm w/ a garage in most areas.

Yeah getting home from work was almost twice as long when I was out there this summer. I worked in century city and stayed in palos verdes. So when I move back i'd like to be close to century city to minimize the traffic, but from what I understand the surrounding areas are all pretty damn expensive.

Also can anyone explain to me the differences in law in california? It's pretty laid back here, from what I understand your bike has to be registered, and you also need a certain type of sticker for certain access? I planned on buying an 07 or 08 yz125, but can I get a green sticker for this? I heard 2002 and earlier for 2 strokes can get an automatic green. If anyone can fill me in on how this works and what the significance is i'd appreciate it!

When I first got out here years ago I was staying with friends in valley village and Burbank. A lot of people might bitch about it but I've found west side rentals to be a decent source, CL can be good or weird, if you're a big social networker fb can work too.

I had a decent studio west of pch in el segundo, utils included with carport & storage for $850. Not allowed to wrench but the super was cool that was over 5yrs ago though. Through fb a friend was looking for someone to take a studio in a house 4blks from the beach in manhattan beach. The place was a tiny dump, no parking but was $850, super safe hood and a small back yard. The only reason I moved was the place was sold, a 1.2mil tear down.

I'm in a really nice place in south OC, 2 car carport, small front brick yard...lay some cardboard and plastic and I can work on the bike....or walk across the street to the beach, utils included and under 1400.

LA costs more than OC but there's stuff around. Deals can be found but as stated earlier move near work so you don't go crazy, just make sure you're not in a crappy hood.

Green sticker is 2002 or earlier...there were a few 2003s that slipped by that are still green stickered.

Basically you cant legally ride certain areas during summer months with a red sticker. Mostly local mountains.  If you are buying a bike and want to not get hassled riding local in summer its prob better to have one green sticker bike so you get left alone.

Deserts have the restrictions too but blm doesnt care...nor do they even go out there.

Or you can drive to Kern Sequoia NF and ride legally red sticker.

Well about the green/red sticker issue, no 4 stroke motocrosser or any 2 stroke past 2002 is going to be a green sticker. There may be exceptions to this that I'm not aware of, but I haven't seen any yet. Some 4 stroke enduros are green sticker, but this varies from year to year. For example, my 2005 wr250f is red sticker, but an 06 wr250f is green sticker, despite being pretty much the exact same bike. The only way to know for sure is to look for your bike in the following link.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6

Good info guys I appreciate it. I Think i'll get the newer yz125 still and when the time comes I'll get an old 125 or 250 for summer off road use if I really find myself dying to get to the local trails in the summer.

Also, do any tracks run night time practices? where it just might be possible to get a ride in after work?

x2 . .

X3.

A ROOM in the back of someone's house will run you $700-800 a month with shared bathroom privaleges.  PV or pretty much anything on the west side will be WAY more.

I sure hope you are making $80k a year on your new job, or welcome to poverty, aover-taxatioon, over-population, and an over-regulated governmental hell-hole with TONS of angry low life's who will gladly slit your throat for a bag of groceries, or the ability to steal your car.  And there's also a down side, but I don't want to be to negative...?

BTW, traffic is a nightmare, 24/7/365.  There are no longer ay "downtimes" where you can be assured of light to no traffic.  I consistently get stuck in traffic jambs well after midnight.  And not even downtown.

PV and the west-side are great places to live, but a nightmare to get to riding areas from.  Plan on 3 hours each way.  Seriously.  From PV to pasadena, it can easily take 2 hours for a 40 minute drive.  If I lived in PV, I'd be outlaw riding the hills on the SW side, ?

Edited by Bill_P

X3.

A ROOM in the back of someone's house will run you $700-800 a month with shared bathroom privaleges.  PV or pretty much anything on the west side will be WAY more.

I sure hope you are making $80k a year on your new job, or welcome to poverty, aover-taxatioon, over-population, and an over-regulated governmental hell-hole with TONS of angry low life's who will gladly slit your throat for a bag of groceries, or the ability to steal your car.  And there's also a down side, but I don't want to be to negative...?

BTW, traffic is a nightmare, 24/7/365.  There are no longer ay "downtimes" where you can be assured of light to no traffic.  I consistently get stuck in traffic jambs well after midnight.  And not even downtown.

PV and the west-side are great places to live, but a nightmare to get to riding areas from.  Plan on 3 hours each way.  Seriously.  From PV to pasadena, it can easily take 2 hours for a 40 minute drive.  If I lived in PV, I'd be outlaw riding the hills on the SW side, ?

I was just staying with friends in PV this summer, and I'll be staying with them again while I look for an apt when I start working. It was hell to get anywhere from there, I want to live far from the coast, but my office will be in century city and I will go nuts if I have to spend 2 hours driving home again. The good news is I have a free place to stay that is comfortable until I can find just the right place, so that helps my case quite a bit. I would be willing to shell out a little over $1k a month for the garage luxury, would mean a lot to me and be worth it. I'm curious though how my budgets going to work out with all the expenses...Somethings telling me...not that good haha!

Good info guys I appreciate it. I Think i'll get the newer yz125 still and when the time comes I'll get an old 125 or 250 for summer off road use if I really find myself dying to get to the local trails in the summer.

Save your self the regret you'll have if you get the 125. You Will find that here in SoCal. you will run out of bike WAY before you run out of ground!

Save your self the regret you'll have if you get the 125. You Will find that here in SoCal. you will run out of bike WAY before you run out of ground!

I will get a 250 eventually, but I mainly ride track and the 125 suits me a lot better at this point. I spent some time on a 250 and it just wears me out too quick, it would be perfect for off road riding though. Plus I have so much fun on the little weenie 125.

X3.

X3.

Damn, that sounds like an awesome place to live. But, what do I know? My little town just got it's second stop light operating last week. 

But really. Why do people live like that? I don't get it.

X3.

I sure hope you are making $80k a year on your new job, or welcome to poverty, aover-taxatioon, over-population, and an over-regulated governmental hell-hole...

Pffff...better be double that to live in a decent hood..have savings and be able to do stuff.

I love my hometown of Long Beach but I could never go back. Once you settle in in Nor Cal you see that everything you want is right here. I love to visit but just the thought of this thread would make me pist. Good luck and enjoy the food, happenings and weather. The problem is your goin to pay for it and I cannot see living well for under a 100 K a year. Buy a house in a decent

Place and plan on 3500+ for house payments

I love my hometown of Long Beach but I could never go back. Once you settle in in Nor Cal you see that everything you want is right here. I love to visit but just the thought of this thread would make me pist. Good luck and enjoy the food, happenings and weather. The problem is your goin to pay for it and I cannot see living well for under a 100 K a year. Buy a house in a decent

Place and plan on 3500+ for house payments

Now that's new.