Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Who could you hire to ride a 250 smoker if you had a good team?

OK....I know that riding a 250 smoker is not the way you want to go if you seek winning and such in the 450 class.  You will never win  a title or even races aboard the bike, but I think that a top-level guy could still run top-10s if he bought in to the challenge.  So....this is just a fun question for consideration.  You guys that say that if is a complete waste of time to even consider racing a 250 can just move on to another thread.  Suppose that I win the Powerball lottery for like $400  million dollars.  I have no need to make money on my endeavor, I just want to contribute to the sport and see what we might achieve.  I get KTM or Yamaha to help with some bikes, and get A-kit suspension and contract good level of support for this and other items.  I plan on making sure that my riders know that this is like a 5-year deal I am in for, so they really do not have to think that their careers are in jeopardy by racing the smoker.  I can pay more than fair money to get a top-10 guy on my bike, and would have a nice bonus program for top-5 and top-10s to keep them motivated yet not expect them to pull down wins and such.  Given the current environment where many top-notch guys are ridiing for not as lot of money, who do tou think I could get to ride my bikes?  I would pay $300-500 per year to get a good guy, but they need to embrace the challenge, and could become rich riding my 250 smoker if they get good results.  I know that Blake Wharton has stated that he would like to race a smoker, and other guys do enjoy them, so....who could I get to buy in to the deal and give it hell on my SX/YZ 250 and really enjoy it?

Youre not going to get a top 5 guy for 300-500k. Im sure any guy from 6-10 would jump at the chance to do it if the results didnt matter.

OK....I know that riding a 250 smoker is not the way you want to go if you seek winning and such in the 450 class.  You will never win  a title or even races aboard the bike, but I think that a top-level guy could still run top-10s if he bought in to the challenge.  So....this is just a fun question for consideration.  You guys that say that if is a complete waste of time to even consider racing a 250 can just move on to another thread.  Suppose that I win the Powerball lottery for like $400  million dollars.  I have no need to make money on my endeavor, I just want to contribute to the sport and see what we might achieve.  I get KTM or Yamaha to help with some bikes, and get A-kit suspension and contract good level of support for this and other items.  I plan on making sure that my riders know that this is like a 5-year deal I am in for, so they really do not have to think that their careers are in jeopardy by racing the smoker.  I can pay more than fair money to get a top-10 guy on my bike, and would have a nice bonus program for top-5 and top-10s to keep them motivated yet not expect them to pull down wins and such.  Given the current environment where many top-notch guys are ridiing for not as lot of money, who do tou think I could get to ride my bikes?  I would pay $300-500 per year to get a good guy, but they need to embrace the challenge, and could become rich riding my 250 smoker if they get good results.  I know that Blake Wharton has stated that he would like to race a smoker, and other guys do enjoy them, so....who could I get to buy in to the deal and give it hell on my SX/YZ 250 and really enjoy it?

$300-500 per year????

You wouldn't be able to land a top 10 guy for $500 per week you cheapskate

I think JS7 could do damage on a 250 2t. I think he can't handle the power of a 450..... That being said, probably cost you about a million plus plus to get him to do it...

• Like 2

This guy is approaching it the wrong way. If he really wants to get a smoker back on the track he should walk into the AMA headquarters and throw some weight around....as in money

Get the AMA to change the rules so a two stroke can be competitive and then work with a reputable team to get a program together and get a rider on a 350cc smoker. A few million in contributions should get the AMA to listen and you could probably get KTM on board as well

• Like 2

I don't think a rule change but a loop hole race the lights class on legal gas and kick ass...rules say it can be done already ...other than rules wouldn't allow a drop back to lights bam bam would be my choice....braaaaaap

IT9, take him to canada where he can race with 250f's.

or buy the ama and let 250 2t's into the 250 class, or better yet make it a 250 2t class.

Edited by Die_trying

The whole ALLESI FAMILY is AVAILABLE

• Like 3

Pieck needs a US ride but don't know if he would ride a smoker in the 450 class.

• Like 1

Josh Grant or Andrew Short. One is smooth and hauls on s 2 stroke as nd the other is a great test rider. 

I don't think a rule change but a loop hole race the lights class on legal gas and kick ass...rules say it can be done already ...other than rules wouldn't allow a drop back to lights bam bam would be my choice....braaaaaap

Anyone can race a 2 stroke in an AMA sanctioned event. The bikes just can't be bigger than 125cc or 250cc for each class

There is no loophole