Sign in to follow this  

Buying a 125 today- need help!

Buying a 125 today but can't decide. It's between a 2007 RM125 with black excel rims,hubs, pc pipe, levers, wide pegs, rear sprocket, renthal bars and fresh top/bottom end. $1400.

Or

2002 YZ125 with 0 hours on a complete top and bottom end rebuild. Crank, bearings, seals, puston, rings, carb, everything. Updated plastics rear sprocket, pc pipe,and pc suspension re valved for my weight. $1200

image.jpg

image.jpg

jesus, in canada those would be like 3200 and 2500 haha its ridiculous! I would probably buy the RM if both are in good shape

Edited by patty426

I would go with the rm because it looks cleaner in the pics but u really need to see both in the flesh to get an idea about how they were maintained, I would get the cleaner one, and make sure they have a title because that makes them a lot easier to resale.

I would wanna see receipts on that motor work, it seems like that's everyone's song and dance when it comes to selling a dirt bike. honestly I'd get the rm125 if I were you, the newer the better, I had a 2006 a while back and it handled great and had plenty of power for a 125

• Like 1

I love the RMs especially the later ones, but the PC suspension is a huge bonus of the YZ. Yz's are also great bikes. It would come down to seeing them both and getting a feel for which one has been better maintained for me. I would automatically assume at one point both were fully rebuilt, but are on the verge of being clapped out by now. Nobody rebuilds a bike then sells it, maybe unless they had a tragic accident or something, but when somebody says "brand new/fresh top/bottom end" (especially on a 4t...lol) thats a big red flag to me that they are full of shit. Ask for receipts!

Very good advice guys I appreciate it!! I will ask for receipts most definitely, although I am leaning toward the RM. The yz could just have pc stickers slapped on the forks. I asked him what weight it's sprung for and he said 160 "I THINK" which makes me believe he's probably lying or he's not a true rider and just used the bike to mess around on which in my mind = little to no maintenance.

Buying a 125 today but can't decide. It's between a 2007 RM125 with black excel rims,hubs, pc pipe, levers, wide pegs, rear sprocket, renthal bars and fresh top/bottom end. $1400.

Or

2002 YZ125 with 0 hours on a complete top and bottom end rebuild. Crank, bearings, seals, puston, rings, carb, everything. Updated plastics rear sprocket, pc pipe,and pc suspension re valved for my weight. $1200

I'm gunna go against the flow here, if the YZ has had all the work done to the chassis (bearings etc) and you can verify that all the work was in fact done, I'd go the YZ.

If you have any doubts or anything looks dodgy, RM.

So an update for everyone-

Went to look at both and it turned out that when calling the guy to get directions to his house to see the yz, he told me that the brand new crank he had just put in malfunctioned and blew up the motor :/. So needless to say the mr was the winner. Talked the guy down to $1,200 and it's in great shape!! The suspension actually is done on it by factory connection (looked at the rear spring) the only things that need to be fixed is a top bar clamp is broken (cracked) broken throttle tube, leaky fork seals, and the rear rim has a bend. So all in all I should be about $350 deep after replacing all the parts. Not too bad if you ask me!