Sign in to follow this  

05/06 Swing arm differences

Hey guys,

I have a 05 YZ 250 with a 06 motor (got it this way), I recently found my swing arm bore out of spec and picked up a new 05 swing arm, after I got new bearings I noticed the part numbers for the 05/06 are different then finally figured in my head that since the frame didnt change the rear motor casing mount must have changed in size. is this true?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Swingarm pivot bolt size is the same....motor and frame dimensions should be the same.

The swingarm was redesigned slightly in '06.....so probably the bearing width, spacers size, and/or seal size is slightly different requiring a different part #'s for the bearing kit.

'05 or '06 swingarms interchange (except for the caliper tabs), so as long as you have the correct bearings for the '05 swingarm, you should be good to go.

Edited by moto2000

Swingarm pivot bolt size is the same....motor and frame dimensions should be the same.

The swingarm was redesigned slightly in '06.....so probably the bearing width, spacers size, and/or seal size is slightly different requiring a different part #'s for the bearing kit.

'05 or '06 swingarms interchange (except for the caliper tabs), so as long as you have the correct bearings for the '05 swingarm, you should be good to go.

thank you,

Do you think it would be worth it to swap for a 06 setup?

If you have all the correct parts for your bike, I would just stick with them.....

If you still need parts, I have a complete '06 rear end I'd sell for cheap    (swingarm, linkage, rear brake assembly, shock with TI spring)

From what I have heard from RCannon, the '06 swingarm was a more refined piece - lighter, better flex characterstics, etc.

But if the brake tab is different between '05 and '06, as moto2000 says (good catch!), then that is reason enough for Yamaha to issue a different part number. And probably not enough reason to swap to a 2006 swingarm.

Good luck, and be sure to report back with what you do!

If you have all the correct parts for your bike, I would just stick with them.....

If you still need parts, I have a complete '06 rear end I'd sell for cheap    (swingarm, linkage, rear brake assembly, shock with TI spring)

Thanks, I would love to buy from TT members rather than ebay!  the swing arm I pulled off was a 06 so I may have to go that route I will check tonight when I get home if i have the 06 rear brake. can you shoot me a PM letting me know how much you want for it?

From what I have heard from RCannon, the '06 swingarm was a more refined piece - lighter, better flex characterstics, etc.

But if the brake tab is different between '05 and '06, as moto2000 says (good catch!), then that is reason enough for Yamaha to issue a different part number. And probably not enough reason to swap to a 2006 swingarm.

Good luck, and be sure to report back with what you do!

I will look at the differences tonight with the rear brake and report back, yamaha oem parts list 05 yz/yzf caliper 1C3-2580W-10-00  /  06 caliper 1C3-2580W-62-00

Thanks all for the help, I appreciate it and cant wait to ride this bike! lol

From 02-13 yz 2strokes, 02-08 yz 4strokes the differance is the tab for the brake caliper, match the caliper to the arm and 07 and up have a differant chain guide.

so you saying if I pulled off the 06' arm I must have a 06' caliper and cant use the 05' arm, correct?