Sign in to follow this  

Washington Good Single Track in Capitol, Does it Exist?

Hoping to ride either Saturday or Sunday at Capitol. Somewhat new to the area and don't know Capitol all that well. Anyone want to take the FNG on a ride showcasing the "tighter" side of Capitol Forest ?Used to race then had a bunch of kids. Just trying to get back in the swing of things and would rather not ride quad trails. PM me if you might be interested in a ride this weekend. Thanks!

There is a store 1 mile east of Rock Candy turn off that carries maps but a better solution is to go to the DNR website and print out a map. Make sure you buy the 2013 edition.

New map http://www.dnr.wa.go...can_full_08.pdf

Table of old vs new trail names http://capitolforest.../trailmaps.html

Since DNR is still updating signage and road numbers but the signs at trail/road crossings are mostly done.

Anyway you can make some nice loops using the trails between Rock Candy and Straddleline. Around the B-Line, B-6000, and A-Line roads are several possible loops.

There is a short ST segment off the east half of the Waddell Basin Loop.
And the old North Ridge #1 between Porter Pass and Straddleline is ST and renamed Loki Trail. (the old Loki is now NR#2).

Porter Pass is at the intersection of B-Line, B-6000, and B-5000.

Unfortunately for navigation only the major road numbers are shown on the maps and some numbers have changed, but the naming scheme begins with the AA-Line in the north to the E-Line in the south, and road numbers associated with each main line road increase from west to east (except for the KC-Line and its roads).

If you have a Garmin GPS Switchbacks.com has a download of trails that include CF trails and roads, but with the old names and numbers. Also DNR has a PDF map that can be used with a iphone or Droid apps.  GPS really helps navigating CF because of the maze of roads and trails.

You will also need a Discovery Pass for your vehicle, available at stores that sell hunting/fishing licenses.
http://www.discoverp...gov/faq/#buying

You can avoid the Discovery Pass by staging at Straddleline Park, 5 miles west of Rock Candy at Cooper Rd SW, $5 vehicle entrance fee if ride CF and don't ride the track and the park's trails.

• Like 2

There is a store 1 mile east of Rock Candy turn off that carries maps but a better solution is to go to the DNR website and print out a map. Make sure you buy the 2013 edition.

New map http://www.dnr.wa.go...can_full_08.pdf

Table of old vs new trail names http://capitolforest.../trailmaps.html

Since DNR is still updating signage and road numbers but the signs at trail/road crossings are mostly done.

Anyway you can make some nice loops using the trails between Rock Candy and Straddleline. Around the B-Line, B-6000, and A-Line roads are several possible loops.

There is a short ST segment off the east half of the Waddell Basin Loop.

And the old North Ridge #1 between Porter Pass and Straddleline is ST and renamed Loki Trail. (the old Loki is now NR#2).

Porter Pass is at the intersection of B-Line, B-6000, and B-5000.

Unfortunately for navigation only the major road numbers are shown on the maps and some numbers have changed, but the naming scheme begins with the AA-Line in the north to the E-Line in the south, and road numbers associated with each main line road increase from west to east (except for the KC-Line and its roads).

If you have a Garmin GPS Switchbacks.com has a download of trails that include CF trails and roads, but with the old names and numbers. Also DNR has a PDF map that can be used with a iphone or Droid apps.  GPS really helps navigating CF because of the maze of roads and trails.

You will also need a Discovery Pass for your vehicle, available at stores that sell hunting/fishing licenses.

http://www.discoverp...gov/faq/#buying

You can avoid the Discovery Pass by staging at Straddleline Park, 5 miles west of Rock Candy at Cooper Rd SW, $5 vehicle entrance fee if ride CF and don't ride the track and the park's trails.

Thanks for the info,  I will buy a map and educate myself. 

Hoping to ride either Saturday or Sunday at Capitol. Somewhat new to the area and don't know Capitol all that well. Anyone want to take the FNG on a ride showcasing the "tighter" side of Capitol Forest ?Used to race then had a bunch of kids. Just trying to get back in the swing of things and would rather not ride quad trails. PM me if you might be interested in a ride this weekend. Thanks!

Post #2 has all the info you need. Having said that, Capitol has a lot of clay based soil that gets slick after it rains. IMHO, you would be better off elsewhere if you are looking for single track. With rain expected Friday night and Saturday morning, It's hard to recommend a muddy capitol forest when there are other places open with much better ST. Taneum, Naches, Lk. Wenatchee, Gifford, even Tahuya all have better ST. Some one familiar with the area can keep you away from the slickest stuff. I usually wait for a full week of dry weather before hitting Capitol. Just my opinion.

I'm heading elsewhere on Saturday or Sunday. PM me if you are interested in going elsewhere.

later

danny

Mt bikers have some great singletrack up there but for some some reason the agency thinks motorized trails must be quad width, either for multi use or for their trail maintenance machine.  If you go there take BOTH maps old and new. Even the road #'s aren't consistent with both maps. Important if your trying to get back quick or in the dark.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1