Seized rear axle

Tried taking the rear tire off my 2006 450 exc for a sprocket and brake pad change an the axle seems to be stuck inside the wheel bearings. I've had it out before with no problems but this time it's stuck solid. Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

I'm gambling it's rusted. Lay the bike on it's side and tear the seal lip out. Soak it very heavily with Aerokroil for a couple of days. Put the bike back on the stand and see if you can drive the axle out. I've worked on some bikes where I had to beat them out with a good sized hammer.

I always completely coat the axle with waterproof grease whenever I replace it.

I'm gambling it's rusted. Lay the bike on it's side and tear the seal lip out. Soak it very heavily with Aerokroil for a couple of days. Put the bike back on the stand and see if you can drive the axle out. I've worked on some bikes where I had to beat them out with a good sized hammer.

I always completely coat the axle with waterproof grease whenever I replace it.

I agree, I've even had to heat the bearings and turn the bike on its side to hammer the axle out. Slide a screwdriver in the axle hole so you don't damage the threads. Use a craftsman and replace it when your done! Block the swing arm for support.

Got it! Just needed a generous amount of penetrating oil and a few good whacks with a hammer! Wasn't seized in the bearings though, it was stuck inside the brake calliper mount.

Got it! Just needed a generous amount of penetrating oil and a few good whacks with a hammer! Wasn't seized in the bearings though, it was stuck inside the brake calliper mount.

Really, that's odd. Never seen that.

Thanks for the update.

Really, that's odd. Never seen that.

Thanks for the update.

Yeah I thought it was strange to. But as soon as I got it tapped through there it pretty much just fell out. Anyways it's out now and will be greased better next time!