Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Bitterroot/Sawtooth

Our group of 4 riders is taking our annual first week of October dirt riding trip from Canada into the US.  We usually ride in Washington State (Colville, Gifford-Pinchot NF) or Oregon (Tillamook SF) but have been encouraged to push a little deeper into the Rockies by riders who have become friends we have met along the way over the years.

I have been combing TT looking for riding in Bitterroot and Sawtooth Forests.

Me and a riding buddy are traveling down from Kelowna, BC, Canada via Spokane and MIssoula and meeting up in Missoula, MT with another couple of buddies from Calgary, AB, Canada.  We are on route to STanley ID to ride the Sawtooth National Forest and then on to Moab, UT.

We are looking to ride technical single track in Bitterroot on the 28th and Sawtooth on the 29th.

We are all skilled riders (A and B level National Enduro finishers, HareScrambles, Endurocross etc.) with level heads (family riding oriented guys, active in the construction and preservation of trails, members of local clubs and proud of our sport), keep our bikes well maintained and can handle ourselves in the back country. We don't slow many guys down on the trail and we don't push anybody. We are just out to take in the scenery and make some new friends. Who knows, we may get to host some of our new friends on our killer single track up in Canada.

Would you be able to point us in the direction of some good staging areas leading to technical single track in Bitterroot and Sawtooth....Maybe south of Missoula on HWY 93 so we can carry on down to Sawtooth that way.

Or better yet.....join us for a ride on Sept 28th (Bitterroot) or Sept. 29 (Sawtooth)

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

Thanks,

Jason Wasylyk
Past President Okanagan Trail Riders
www.okanagantrailriders.com
thetoothdoc@shaw.ca

250-469-3455

Edited by Zhack

Depends... Are you Flames or Oilers fans ?....lol

Are you planning on riding the Stanley area ? Doggerdan texted me to see if I was up for a ride with you guys. Not sure if you have already been in contact with him or not....

Gets pretty cold up there this time of year and could see snow. i will check NOAA.

Chance of snow mon thru thursday ....then it warms up and supposed to be sunny Saturday and Snday (high of 57 farenhiet ).....could be epic !

Sounds like a great trip. I would love to show you what the St. Joe River Valley and Silver Valley have to offer, but the schedule won't work for me. All of the trails are unmarked and hard to find, so it would be hard to just tell you where to stage and go without getting you totally lost. I'll PM you with some ideas/options when I get to a real computer.

Thanks ITLKSEZ,

I got the link you sent me to the trail system map.  Perfect.  I'm not sure yet if we will be able to link up with anyone from the area yet or not, so it might be like throwing a dart at a map unless you (or anyone else) can suggest the best route to the "epic" spots in the area.  I'll download the GPS trails into my Garmin so I'm confidednt we won't get lost.....

It's just that we are driving such a long way to sample such a large area and have such limited time, it's be sweet to have some favorite or particularly fun to ride or especially scenic spots/trails pointed out.

If anoyone out there cares to throw in their 2c, what trails or loop would you ride if you only had one day in the area?

Thanks again ITLKSEZ, I await your advice...thanks

Jason 

Thanks ITLKSEZ,

I got the link you sent me to the trail system map.  Perfect.  I'm not sure yet if we will be able to link up with anyone from the area yet or not, so it might be like throwing a dart at a map unless you (or anyone else) can suggest the best route to the "epic" spots in the area.  I'll download the GPS trails into my Garmin so I'm confidednt we won't get lost.....

It's just that we are driving such a long way to sample such a large area and have such limited time, it's be sweet to have some favorite or particularly fun to ride or especially scenic spots/trails pointed out.

If anoyone out there cares to throw in their 2c, what trails or loop would you ride if you only had one day in the area?

Thanks again ITLKSEZ, I await your advice...thanks

Jason 

All the stuff west and south of Lake Alturas for the most part including my little favorite trail Vienna Mine is pretty epic. Search the Idaho Park and Rec website for North Fork Ross Fork, Alturas Lake-Mattingly, Johnson Creek to get an idea of the area. Alturas Lake is north and east of Smiley Creek Lodge on Highway75. The link should get you in the area....

http://www.trails.idaho.gov/?c=43.857059%2C-114.853821&cl=43.830069%2C-114.985657&z=12&mt=esri_road&t=tab1

Sounds like a great trip. I would love to show you what the St. Joe River Valley and Silver Valley have to offer, but the schedule won't work for me. All of the trails are unmarked and hard to find, so it would be hard to just tell you where to stage and go without getting you totally lost. I'll PM you with some ideas/options when I get to a real computer.

Agree this area needs a  guide to go the right direction up/down stuff and connect together the loops. Some is signed ok, but other places there are no signs....

My best advice would probably be to tell you plan again for next year with enough notice that I can guide for you. There are a few awesome loops that I know that challenge me to the core, but I still don't know them well after 10 years. Any of the trails that are "easier" to find that would be worth mentioning aren't loops. They are in-out on the same trail, or are like a mountain pass that will take you from one town to another, like this one (that possibly got snowed-in last night):

http://youtu.be/FzVtoHyWkak?t=30s

• Like 1

Jason sorry it didn't work out like we had wanted it to. If you're in Idaho next year be sure to look me up.

The Wallace/St. Joe area has hundreds of miles of singletrack. This past summer I picked up a booklet at the ranger station neary Avery, ID, called, "Ultimate Motorcycle Loops of the St. Joe River Country". It lists pages and pages of trails in that area.Two Saturdays ago a friend and I rode nearly a hundred miles of singletrack in one day. 

Here are a couple of photos from the Slate Creek Divide trail on our way to Arid Peak lookout:

GOPR0009-017.JPG

GOPR0009-036.JPG

GOPR0011-005.JPG

• Like 2

The Wallace/St. Joe area has hundreds of miles of singletrack. This past summer I picked up a booklet at the ranger station neary Avery, ID, called, "Ultimate Motorcycle Loops of the St. Joe River Country". It lists pages and pages of trails in that area.Two Saturdays ago a friend and I rode nearly a hundred miles of singletrack in one day. 

Sshhhhhhhh......