Sign in to follow this  

Springs

What's up guys? I recently purchased a 2007 yz250 and I'm goin to need to change the springs. I was wondering how many different years and models of springs will fit my bike. Thanks!

What's up guys? I recently purchased a 2007 yz250 and I'm goin to need to change the springs. I was wondering how many different years and models of springs will fit my bike. Thanks!

What spring rate do you need? I'm selling a 5.0 kg/mm shock spring - steel, black. If your YZ has stock springs - it should be a 4.9.

Edited by JRod4928

Well as it turns out I don't think I'm gonna need to buy any. I was told it had softer springs put in it but last night I downloaded a manual and found a spring rate chart and according to the mark on my shock spring its actually heavier than stock. Then I measured race sag and the numbers worked out almost perfect. So its looking like I got lucky and bought a bike already sprung for me. I'm gonna service the forks this weekend and change the seals, hopefully the fork springs are marked so I'll know what rate they are. I know a lot of them aren't though..... thanks for the help and input everyone!

Many different years and models will fit your bike, the problem is that it can be difficult to identify the rate of OEM springs. The shock springs all come with a color coded mark on them, so that is easy, but the fork springs are typically unmarked.

I really don't trust those online calcs (racetech and mxtech).  If you know for sure the rate of the springs you have installed now, then choosing the correct rate is simple. All you need to do is measure your current sag (static and race), and you can perfectly calculate the change in shock spring rate necessary to put the new sag anywhere you desire.

Do you know if you have the original springs installed?

Many different years and models will fit your bike, the problem is that it can be difficult to identify the rate of OEM springs. The shock springs all come with a color coded mark on them, so that is easy, but the fork springs are typically unmarked.

I really don't trust those online calcs (racetech and mxtech). If you know for sure the rate of the springs you have installed now, then choosing the correct rate is simple. All you need to do is measure your current sag (static and race), and you can perfectly calculate the change in shock spring rate necessary to put the new sag anywhere you desire.

Do you know if you have the original springs installed?

Please read my last post. Thanks

I have always like the calculator for the forks, rear shock i just go with sag, and i call a few suspension shops tell them my bike and my size and skill a d see what they recommend

I tried race Tech's calculator and they recommend a .50 fork spring. I thought that seemed a little stiff but maybe not. I'm about 190 lbs ( A) class hare scrambles

I tried race Tech's calculator and they recommend a .50 fork spring. I thought that seemed a little stiff but maybe not. I'm about 190 lbs ( A) class hare scrambles

The spring will balance out the bike if you have the right rear spring, but the valving is what will make it feel plush on the trails. I had to use 0.44 and 4.9 on my 08 YZ125 for trails - I'm 160 lbs.

Edited by JRod4928