Sign in to follow this  

300 pounds for 10 miles of rough 4x4 road. Too much for the DRZ?

I'm hoping to do a backpacking trip with my wife this weekend. However, it would require a weird motorcycle shuttle, carrying the two of us and packs (300 pounds for us & packs) over 10 miles of rough 4x4 only jeep roads.

I've hauled her before, many times....but never that distance over such rough terrain. Do I risk damaging the rear suspension doing this? Of course, there would be no high speeds, jumps........

Should be OK. I just took a passenger to the top of a couple of mountains outside of town. Rough trails that I wouldn't much enjoy on 4 wheels and it was surprisingly good. All the added weight without suspension adjustment makes the bike seem a little top-heavy - but it's actually quite stable! Raked out and nice - it actually had certain advantages in stability . It's nicer without a passenger overall, but still nice with. Big potholes are the only real problem. We were over 300lbs total, maybe close to 350 in gear.

• Like 1

I believe the owners manual states the Drz can carry 390 lbs.

Handling will be different.  Going fast will be impossible and going slow will make keeping your balance difficult.  Have fun!  The worst thing that can happen is a couple more miles of backpacking.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate for a second....but the wife would.....hesitate, that is. Better be something awful nice at the end of that trail ride!

• Like 1

Somehow I'm thinking the bike isn't going to be the problem..... Just say'n

So nicely said...

You didn't say how bad the road was or how comfortable you felt riding your "S" by yourself on that rough road.

Let me add to Jim9006.

If it was a buddy that broke down and I was hauling him out and he complained.. I could always say to him...Hey, you can always walk out. But that's just a buddy. A wife.... that's a different story. If she knows the trip might be sometimes walk sometimes ride I'd tell her in advance.

Tony

So nicely said...

You didn't say how bad the road was or how comfortable you felt riding your "S" by yourself on that rough road.

Let me add to Jim9006.

If it was a buddy that broke down and I was hauling him out and he complained.. I could always say to him...Hey, you can always walk out. But that's just a buddy. A wife.... that's a different story. If she knows the trip might be sometimes walk sometimes ride I'd tell her in advance.

Tony

I'm sure you guys have heard that one should never assume things.....right?

Re the road: Like I said, 4x4 only. Most 4x4 owners wouldn't/couldn't drive it. Not that that says much but....    A competent jeep owner would enjoy it.

As for me, if I were not comfortable riding it, I'm not dumb enough to take a passenger down it. Also, in case someone's wondering, we pack small and light. Her pack expands at the top and will accommodate most of my gear on top of hers. Packs combined at the end (ie, no food) weigh ~15 pounds. The overflow goes in my tank bag.

Re my wife, she was already aware that she'd have to walk sections. She was excited for this finale to a cool backpacking trip though. A little excitement and some incredible views that she wouldn't see otherwise. A fitting end. She knows/trusts my abilities. She cheered me on from the sidelines during my MX days in the 80's.

At any rate, I appreciate all the responses. Trip has been set back due to my wife getting a cold and snow in the forecast.

Edited by fishugly

I'm sure you guys have heard that one should never assume things.....right?

Re the road: Like I said, 4x4 only. Most 4x4 owners wouldn't/couldn't drive it. Not that that says much but....    A competent jeep owner would enjoy it.

As for me, if I were not comfortable riding it, I'm not dumb enough to take a passenger down it. Also, in case someone's wondering, we pack small and light. Her pack expands at the top and will accommodate most of my gear on top of hers. Packs combined at the end (ie, no food) weigh ~15 pounds. The overflow goes in my tank bag.

Re my wife, she was already aware that she'd have to walk sections. She was excited for this finale to a cool backpacking trip though. A little excitement and some incredible views that she wouldn't see otherwise. A fitting end. She knows/trusts my abilities. She cheered me on from the sidelines during my MX days in the 80's.

At any rate, I appreciate all the responses. Trip has been set back due to my wife getting a cold and snow in the forecast.

yes, it will handle it. the drz handles me + a weekend of camping gear on nasty ass single track just fine. just have her hop off if/when it's not safe for both of you to traverse a section. easier on everyone that way. and she can laugh harder at you when you dump it.

cause she will ;-)

• Like 1

If you got it loaded pretty good, imagine an extra set of legs when things get nasty!

• Like 1