Sign in to follow this  

XR's only dip stick ?

They have been out of stock forever

finally I see they are available so I order one

directions tell you to seat the t stat mark the housing and wrap a cloth on the probe and grip with pliers and then rotate to center gauge with 200* at the top for easy reading

I am almost certain this will be the end of a 40+ $  purchase since for one they never mention removing the set screw  but the included Allen made it all to obvious

I can not get this to turn  but already slightly flat spotted the probe   mind you hand strength is not the issue

it likely going to twist the prob right off of the thermometer before it ever spins in the housing IMHO

anyone else using one ? 

I will see what they say Thanks Z

xrtd-0016_b_2.jpg

well chit  their rear chain guide doesn't fit properly either  and it doesn't match the OEM for spacing so either they overlooked My 93 being different or this is no use to me  without Me taking time to make spacers and get longer bolts 

Edited by Zimman

OK they responded on the dipstick  they had a bad batch   and the head will twist off if I try to center it 

and I can keep it for a future 10% off or return it for a replacement  that I can center the dial

so that's going back  not sure how mine slipped by if they know there are some issues since   the order shipped days ago ?

anyway to see what they say about the chain guide next

Edited by Zimman

Yup..,mine was hard to get the set screw loose,,i then hard a hard time turning the guage but finally got it to move,,it`s not extremely accurate,,off about 10 degrees,,but i like to see the temp when running hard........

I wish i could get the older original one though,,,,,,,bigger face on it,,these are hard to read with aging eyes.. :banghead:

B

thanks

I noticed the tiny #'s  I have the same  eye affliction  LOL

I had the screw out  and had it in a vice  I was sure the head would pop off and Tommy confirmed that  I would try harder but I doubt it would be covered under warranty  I also asked if the lens was actually glass like stated .. seems like plastic ?

I  pretty much spent 110 bucks  for two oil filters at this point

I will take the replacement t stat but I am sealing the glass to the rim  before I use it

the chain guide is going back   they don't fit right and I am not wasting my new sprocket and chain because of it

then I will probably not  get some other bling I had My eye on

Edited by Zimman

A fellow XR650L owner once loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very accurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil.   For a cost of a approximately $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer to monitor the bike's oil temperature.   :)

Here's the link to a billet aluminum, oil bolt which fits the Honda XR650L, Kawasaki KDX220, Yamaha WR250R, Honda CR250, et cetera.  This oil bolt comes in a variety of colors, and sells for $13.95, delivered. ;)

$(KGrHqR,!kwE5dBZDNivBOc!F6JUrg~~60_12.J

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer sells for $7.99, but is frequently on sale for $5.99. :D

I made a digital, dipstick thermometer using these components. :)

Zonganddipstickrun087.jpg

I held the aluminum oil bolt in a pair of vise grips, and drilled a small pilot hole in the bolt.   I then drilled a hole with a larger, SAE drill bit which was slightly smaller than the probe of the Harbor Freight digital thermometer.  The probe made a nice, tight fit, which does not leak oil.   :thumbsup:   After you install this temperature dipstick in the oil reservoir, you can easily twist the digital thermometer to align it perfectly with your field of vision. :D

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and very easy to read.  If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. :D  I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

Zonganddipstickrun140.jpg

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.  If you prefer, you can also set the thermometer to read in degrees Celsius.   :thumbsup:

Spud :)

Edited by SpudRider
  • Like 1

I got a XR's only dipstick a few weeks ago, did the setup procedure, ended up making a flatspot on the stick because it was so hard to twist... crap... well alright, I installed it anyways and it still worked nicely, but after a few miles oil started gushing out from inbetween the thermometer and the housing, turned around right away and headed home, ended up sprayed down with oil and just installed the original dipstick again.

Brilliant bit of kit Spud. :applause: .Half the price..looks better,,works better..I love this DIY stuff..Manufacturers of such things probably hate you but hey if you can't get it right you'll be replaced by DIY..Wake up or flop into the netherworld I say..Any dolt can buy some other blokes working..thing is it better work or you're gone..Takes brain to figure the alternative option..Guarantee that top bolt also fits the XR600 oil dipper hole.. If only we had a Harbour freight here.,That gauge would probably cost us $40.00 at one of our diy stores..

Edited by Horri

A fellow XR650L owner once loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very accurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil.   For a cost of a approximately $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer to monitor the bike's oil temperature.   :)

Here's the link to a billet aluminum, oil bolt which fits the Honda XR650L, Kawasaki KDX220, Yamaha WR250R, Honda CR250, et cetera.  This oil bolt comes in a variety of colors, and sells for $13.95, delivered. ;)

$(KGrHqR,!kwE5dBZDNivBOc!F6JUrg~~60_12.J

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer sells for $7.99, but is frequently on sale for $5.99. :D

I made a digital, dipstick thermometer using these components. :)

Zonganddipstickrun087.jpg

I held the aluminum oil bolt in a pair of vise grips, and drilled a small pilot hole in the bolt.   I then drilled a hole with a larger, SAE drill bit which was slightly smaller than the probe of the Harbor Freight digital thermometer.  The probe made a nice, tight fit, which does not leak oil.   :thumbsup:   After you install this temperature dipstick in the oil reservoir, you can easily twist the digital thermometer to align it perfectly with your field of vision. :D

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and very easy to read.  If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. :D  I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

Zonganddipstickrun140.jpg

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.  If you prefer, you can also set the thermometer to read in degrees Celsius.   :thumbsup:

Can I assume that the XL and XR are the same pitch and diameter?

thanks guys 

I did My research  and looked at the DIY kits  like the HF digital  I had some waterproof and heat issues with those 

I had them go black with the heat here in AZ 

I figured I would give xr's a chance since they were finally  in stock

I think I am about to get a bad deal  I am probably going to get stuck paying for return shipping for their defects

and According to there return policy everything has to be in the original packaging that's impossible it was heat shrunk to cardboard

also I think I am getting stuck with restocking fee's   but I will keep you posted on how this goes

I had the EXACT same problem as you, sent it back for another one, the indicator needle on the replacement unit vibrated off within a week...

Ordered a QSPS unit off Fleabay, at least 15 - 20 degrees off, I give up....

If I try this again, it will be with a bung welded onto the frame with a Shindy unit!

OK they responded on the dipstick  they had a bad batch   and the head will twist off if I try to center it 

and I can keep it for a future 10% off or return it for a replacement  that I can center the dial

so that's going back  not sure how mine slipped by if they know there are some issues since   the order shipped days ago ?

anyway to see what they say about the chain guide next

Sounds like there is more to it than a "bad batch". Looks like there is a lot of  problems with the unit. Glad i stumbled onto this thread as i have considered buying it from xr's only several times. Not anymore.

Edited by Thumper3

I would also like to know if the XR650L and the XR650R share the same pitch and diameter.  >>(Outlaw Racing does not list this part available for the XR650R.)

I would also like to know if the XR650L and the XR650R share the same pitch and diameter.  >>(Outlaw Racing does not list this part available for the XR650R.)

The oil dipstick for the 2000 XR600R has the same part number as the oil dipstick for the XR650L; it is part  #15650-MG3-000.   ;)

Edited by SpudRider

Been reading about these fogging up (mostly) and/or leaking oil for YEARS.  Bad batch? Bad design.