Sign in to follow this  

Drilling stock slide

Years ago when I modded my air box and jetted my carb one of the things I remember doing was drilling two holes in the slide just slightly larger. That allows the acv diaphram to return quicker. But for the life of me I can not find the reason or why I did that. I thought a drill bit was included in my JD Jetting kit. I just read the JD instructions and can find no reference to it. I also used an old post on the web that originally refered me to a few of the mods to the DR-Z. Does anyone out there remember where that suggested mod of drilling the slide came from??? I know for certain the drill bit came with something I just can't remember where???? Also the increase in hole was not that much larger. Bueller? Bueller ???

Disclaimer:  I'm no expert.  I do recall reading something about this same question several years ago and as I recall Eddie says it is not necessary on the DRZ. 

If there was a drill bit in the kit it was most likely for use in removing the pressed in cap covering the air\fuel screw.

• Like 1

Not done as a matter of course on a DRZ equipped carb..

But is part of the process for other vacuum operated CV carbs when doing a aftermarket jet kit.. Like say the Dyno Jet kit for a VTR1000F 

Disclaimer:  I'm no expert.  I do recall reading something about this same question several years ago and as I recall Eddie says it is not necessary on the DRZ. 

If there was a drill bit in the kit it was most likely for use in removing the pressed in cap covering the air\fuel screw.

Understood. I'm a freak and don't always go by what others say. I weigh everything I read and look for benefits and results that others have. Then I may or not make the same move. For some reason I did this because it made sense at the time. I did not experience anything negative by drilling the slide. Still have my bike set up this way but it will all change soon when the FCR goes in. I did this tiny mod in like '08 or '09. 2 to 3 years after I got my bike.

Not done as a matter of course on a DRZ equipped carb..

But is part of the process for other vacuum operated CV carbs when doing a aftermarket jet kit.. Like say the Dyno Jet kit for a VTR1000F 

Thanks for chiming in Eric. I am baffled by this memory at this time...

I did this years back and before I even knew anything about these TT forums. I got the info from somewhere though... Darn CRS. It sucks getting old. :(

I even keep a 3 ring note book with my shop manual and all the things I have done to my bike in it. Still...no bueno...

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott

Drilling the slide holes was never part of the JD Jetting kit.  I can't say for sure abut he DynoJet kit but I don't think so.  I have installed some DynoJet kits in other motorcycles that did come with a slide drill bit but I did not use the drill.  Enlarging the slide vent holes allows the slide to respond faster to pressure changes.  Most of the time, that is not what I'm looking for.

Lot of bikes and quads require the slides to be drilled out. It will tell you in the instructions and a drill bit will be included to do this. The drz does not require this with either jet kit. I believe if you were going to install a bsr40 carb off of a klr650 you have to drill the slide. There is a thread on the bsr40 carb in this forum.

I now know where it came from. The other DR-Z forum. It was discussed at lenght by Mr Eddie O' Dell. I talked with him tonight and asked him the above question and he reminded me about his dissertation on the subject. And it was about the time I had joined that site and learned about the jetting mods using the JD kit I received which was dated about 9/2009. It did have a drill bit in the kit but it was meant for drilling out the f/s plug. It was also the right size to increase the slide holes by one step. I put that particular bit in with my others and do not know what the actual size was now. All that info and discussion is still there. Since being banned by Mr. Hall for calling him out on his BS I can not do searches for the info and provide a link. Don't feel like re-reading all the posts till I find it. And yes it does work well and quickened throttle snap response a bit over stock. But it had to be a certain size coupled with the jet, needle, a/box and exhaust changes to balance the equation. I have CRS but I am resource full and persistent enough to get what I lost back...at least temporarley. ;)