Sign in to follow this  

What year is my CR500 motor?

I bought this basket case bike last week and now it is all tore down.  The previous owner said it was a 1990 but said the engine was changed some time ago.  I'm pretty sure the engine is older because there is no coolant hose that goes on the right side of the cylinder.  There is a tag by the footshift ......5602073 is the # on it.  Can anyone tell me what year it is, I need to buy a rebuild kit for it so I must know the year.  Thanks

Put up a pictures please.

The whole bike is in pieces right now including the motor. I see on line that cranks from 86-01 have the same part # so I will probably be safe to say I will be alright.  The entire engine is black including the cylinder and head so my guess is its an 86-87

The whole bike is in pieces right now including the motor. I see on line that cranks from 86-01 have the same part # so I will probably be safe to say I will be alright.  The entire engine is black including the cylinder and head so my guess is its an 86-87

Going off of the serial number you gave, it's either an 87 or a 97. Pretty sure the way you described the coolant hose issue that its an 87.

85 and 86 are short rod motor.   87-01 are the same.  here is a link to some cr500 info.  CR500 Tech Reference - SkyDrive