Sign in to follow this  

450s in the woods? Good idea bad idea

I ride a cr250(2001) looking to add a 450 to the stable what bikes are good in the woods

What kind if hours are you guys getting out of the motors

What bike handle best I can't afford a new one but looking to drop around 4500

I ride a cr250(2001) looking to add a 450 to the stable what bikes are good in the woods

What kind if hours are you guys getting out of the motors

What bike handle best I can't afford a new one but looking to drop around 4500

quad trails! fire roads! flowing single track maybe, tight single track yoiks major muscle  (better get a cooling fan)

quad trails! fire roads! flowing single track maybe, tight single track yoiks major muscle (better get a cooling fan)

They are flowing single track and open fire roads to get there

What year and why so much muscle to work the bike I thought 4 strokes were easier to ride?

They are flowing single track and open fire roads to get there

What year and why so much muscle to work the bike I thought 4 strokes were easier to ride?

can you try it out to see? flowing single track should be ok , I used to ride open two strokes in the woods, loved the power but pretty tiring..

a 4 stroke will be a lot more user friendly but there  is a lot of weight & reciprocating mass to deal with.

I hear beta makes great 4 stroke woods bikes

I like the way the CRF450X handles, I have a WR450f myself. I ride it on more open trails. Occasionally I'll hit some single track but it's a handful. A 300 smoker is a much better tool for that job.

Nothing wrong with a 450, the overall power and traction can be overwhelming in certain situations though.....something like multiple log crossing can be down right exhausting if your not experienced of very good at it. But in anything over 2nd gear they can be a dream, especially in stuff like rolling rocks or short run up hillclimbs, they just pull you up effortlessly. A Rekluse can really make the bikes more manageable.......

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with a 450, the overall power and traction can be overwhelming in certain situations though.....something like multiple log crossing can be down right exhausting if your not experienced of very good at it. But in anything over 2nd gear they can be a dream, especially in stuff like rolling rocks or short run up hillclimbs, they just pull you up effortlessly. A Rekluse can really make the bikes more manageable.......

I agree.. my CRF450R does fine on trails, fun to ride. Tons of torque and power, pulls hills like they're not there. I have a Hinson BTL Slipper clutch and it's very manageable. 

JL

Only thing I hated about my 07 crf450r was how top heavy it seemed... I ride tight technical trails and it just felt heavy... also geared way to high in stock form.

I was really looking at either a 450 or a 300 XC

How well do the 450 motors hold up if they are woods ridden. Do the require the same amount of work as if they were mx ridden??

Since you're getting a woods 4t bike I'd get one with an electric start. My 525 is easy to ride.  Most all of what I ride is tight trail with it. It wasn't the original plan but it just worked so good that's just more of what I did. It was supposed to be my dualsport and I was supposed to hit light trails.. It didn't happen.  Don't be afraid of the number. My Beta 525 is mellow but has tons of torque and of course is fast but pretty controllable. It handles well ... A KTM 450, 525 exc, Honda 450x, a wrf 450 and more are other options to think about.. . Since you are going for a second bike and have your 01' cr 250 another good idea would be to get a street legal bike too. $4500 so a few year old bike is in order. I initially chose my Beta because there is a following for the RFS KTM motor. It seems lots believe that those motors are pretty bullet proof for a 4 stroke motor. I've been more of a 2 stroke guy anyway. I still have my 01 cr too. A ktm 525 seems like a good one to start looking for. An 09 and earlier Beta is a good one but of course there are just less Beta out there .. just gotta check around for what's available where you are. Really you can just put searches on TT to see what guys like and what might be something you prefer.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I was really looking at either a 450 or a 300 XC

How well do the 450 motors hold up if they are woods ridden. Do the require the same amount of work as if they were mx ridden??

Wait yur kinda switching gears on us... You want a 4 or 2 stroke?  a 450 and a 300xc is pretty different. Maybe you should start over again.

Wait yur kinda switching gears on us... You want a 4 or 2 stroke? a 450 and a 300xc is pretty different. Maybe you should start over again.

No I want a 450 for sure just also considered a 300 as well

I have a 2010 ktm xcw and the power curve on it is very mellow perfect for woods. With the electric start and trials tire I can go anywhere with ease. Its hard to say though if I'd buy a 450 just for the woods though because you want a lighter bike for that. I had a 300 and got the 450 for the power and top end for open stuff. The Japanese 450 will be hard to ride in the woods wo a rekluse.

Only thing I hated about my 07 crf450r was how top heavy it seemed... I ride tight technical trails and it just felt heavy... also geared way to high in stock form.

Agreed. 

I ride 90% mx track and 10% trails/desert/off road. I went to 13/49 gearing which helped at lower speeds. At 234 lbs dry weight, they can get a little top heavy if your not careful on the trails. 

JL

I'm having the same dilemma. Currently own a 2000 CR250, and only ride in the woods and on the trails. Been looking at adding another bike, and debating between staying with a 2T and getting a KTM 300 XC-W, or going 4-stroke and getting a WR450F. Would love to hear more opinions and thoughts from people that own or have previously owned and rode these machines.

To answer your original question:

In my opinion/experience...

A 450 in the woods is a good idea if: you are a bigger/taller guy who is an experienced and aggressive rider..and/or you ride fast flowing trails with hill climbs/sand washes or other areas that require more HP.

A 450 in the woods is a bad idea if you are not a very tall rider and are riding in tight trails. Also bad if you are not a very aggressive/fast rider whether you are tall or short.

I loved my 450 in the trails of Colorado and Utah but disliked it in the tighter trails of the southeast. I was always wrestling the bike, changing the gearing, and overheating it. That includes an 06 kx450f and an 09 yz450f w/rekluse.

I ended up with a ktm 300 XC for a couple of years in the southeast that was a trail eating machine. It excelled in all trail riding conditions, only came up

Slightly short on the MX track for my overall taste.

My favorite bike on the tight nasty trails was a 250f. I loved it.

All that said, I now ride a ktm 350 sxf and it is by far the best all around bike I have ever had. And I have had one of every size over the last 10 years.

I'd say for more feedback check out Youtube for guys riding 4 strokes in areas where you ride... or 4 strokes riding in similar terrain.  That way you can get more of an idea of what works.. Ask them how the bike works. 

Generally Hawaii is more 2 stroke country but we still have 4 strokes in tight stuff.  I was trying to think of someone with a 450 that could be watched from behind and so I got a shot of a couple of friends riding. The guy in front is riding a wr450  and the the camera is on a wr made to a 290. ..just to get an idea of offroad tight stuff. If you have flowing trails really I don't see a problem with what 4 strokes you ride. You have your cr so you'll have the best of both worlds. I ride my 525 in this and my cr too. It's win win.

check the guy in the red shirt he's got a wr 450......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdAyUCVli_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjea2FlnlCY

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'd say for more feedback check out Youtube for guys riding 4 strokes in areas where you ride... or 4 strokes riding in similar terrain. That way you can get more of an idea of what works.. Ask them how the bike works.

Generally Hawaii is more 2 stroke country but we still have 4 strokes in tight stuff. I was trying to think of someone with a 450 that could be watched from behind and so I got a shot of a couple of friends riding. The guy in front is riding a wr450 and the the camera is on a wr made to a 290. ..just to get an idea of offroad tight stuff. If you have flowing trails really I don't see a problem with what 4 strokes you ride. You have your cr so you'll have the best of both worlds. I ride my 525 in this and my cr too. It's win win.

check the guy in the red shirt he's got a wr 450......

Thanks! I asked a lot of locals why they ride 4 strokes and 80% said because 2 strokes are old and handle like crap the rest have both a 2 and 4 and a few said they like 125"s the best

I think most ride a 4 for the same reasons I want one the updated chassis and suspension are "supposedly" light years ahead of my 2001 cr but I can't get my hands in one to ride and compare

Got a 450 in July. First one. LOVE IT. Will be selling my CRs. That's right. More fun to ride. Had a 250F before. Meh. The 450 is great on tight woods. I'm running engine ice and haven't boiled yet but my ambient temps don't get above 85 much either. 

2009 YZ450F for 2500$. :thumbsup:

The power curve is really useful for off road. Power everywhere. It defines low end torque compared to a 250/300 two stroke. I do not notice the weight but I'm tall and big too. 

IMG_0053_zps2461ce14.jpg

IMG_0049_zpsd08e1ed1.jpg

I had a YZ250F for 250 hours but then sold it because I was tired of bog and didn't want to spend the money to improve it. No problems with it. Logging hours of trail riding is much much less damaging to a "time bomb" motor than rev limiters on a track. 

As far as the KTM 300, the last one I rode was a 2008 model. Slow to respond motor and handling while riding technical single track. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1