Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys

Hello, I just became the proud owner of a 2003 DRZ400 today and just wanted to introduce myself. I came off an old xr200 and this drz is a whole new world but I love the drz already. I'm a young rider, only 15 years old believe it or not, almost 6 feet tall haha. Well just thought I'd Introduce myself, looking forward to meeting the rest of you, ride on.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379550033.491841.jpg

• Like 3

Hello, I just became the proud owner of a 2003 DRZ400 today and just wanted to introduce myself. I came off an old xr200 and this drz is a whole new world but I love the drz already. I'm a young rider, only 15 years old believe it or not, almost 6 feet tall haha. Well just thought I'd Introduce myself, looking forward to meeting the rest of you, ride on.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379550033.491841.jpg

Welcome to TT & nice find on the DRZ. Looks great & I envy the kick start....mine is electric start only. At 6' you'll fit on yours a bit better than I do mine....tip-toe at every stop. Great bikes, pictures, mods, & knowledgeable folks on here. Congrats on the new machine   :applause:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379550033.491841.jpg

+1 what the motopros just said.....welcome to the world of MODS.....heheh. Great bike, lots of fun to ride both on and off the highway. This forum has some great guys, super friendly and extremely knowledgeable!!  :smirk:

Welcome JackX, Lot's of good useful information from lot's of big personalities; just like you young man. I've got a 31" inseam and I'm 60 years old... Oh to be a six foot fifteen year old again.

Edited by soeyesays
  • Like 2

Thank you guys! I'm lookin to adjust my rear shock because the guy before me weighs 310 and had it set for that and I'm only 193 haha, it's pretty firm and I gotta soften it up a little and also, do you guys have a gripper seat on your drz? Mines not a gripper seat and I notice myself sliding back easily, would a gripper seat fix this?

Thank you guys! I'm lookin to adjust my rear shock because the guy before me weighs 310 and had it set for that and I'm only 193 haha, it's pretty firm and I gotta soften it up a little and also, do you guys have a gripper seat on your drz? Mines not a gripper seat and I notice myself sliding back easily, would a gripper seat fix this?

holy crap. is it a different spring? if it is i might want it. my brother is big and i figured he'd never fit on a drz because when he sits on mine, it bottoms out. theres hope for him yet. i dont have a gripper seat. i do notice that its slippery right when i get on and take off. it seems like it gets better as i ride. i have a gripper seat on my dirt bike and i like it but sometimes its too sticky...

holy crap. is it a different spring? if it is i might want it. my brother is big and i figured he'd never fit on a drz because when he sits on mine, it bottoms out. theres hope for him yet. i dont have a gripper seat. i do notice that its slippery right when i get on and take off. it seems like it gets better as i ride. i have a gripper seat on my dirt bike and i like it but sometimes its too sticky...

I think the suspension is Pro Action

I had similar prob's with mine when I got it. I solved the problem when I bought a new seat, the previous owner sat further back on the seat so I found myself constantly slipping back in to his "sweet spot". New foam meant I created my own "sweet spot" and didn't need a gripper cover....

Some love grippers some hate them it is all about personal preference.

I had similar prob's with mine when I got it. I solved the problem when I bought a new seat, the previous owner sat further back on the seat so I found myself constantly slipping back in to his "sweet spot". New foam meant I created my own "sweet spot" and didn't need a gripper cover....

Some love grippers some hate them it is all about personal preference.

Ive been lookin at seats like James Stewart has, the wavy lookin one.

The Pro Action is a great suspension. But you really do need to get it set up for you which would mean a spring and possibly valving change to get the most benefit from it. I have a full Pro Action suspension on mine set up for me being 6'1" 175lbs plus more for all my gear. LOVE IT!!! :D

Depending on your riding style and terrain the valving might be okay.  Start with setting the rear sag, get it close to 100 mm and check the static sag.  If the static is close to 30 mm (after setting race sag) then the spring is good for your weight.  If it isn't then you'll need a softer (if the static is a lot more than 30 mm) or stiffer spring (if the static is a lot less than 30 mm).

Then play with the clickers (comp & rebound) and see if you can find a happy medium, if not then you'll need a revalve.