Demo ride on 13 250RR this past weekend....WOW

I got a chance to spend about 15 minutes on a 13 250RR 2 stroke this past weekend at our Cancer Charity ride and thought I would share my comments that I sent to one of my friends.  I was impressed.  This year I've had a chance to ride the GG 300 and it wasn't bad and also rode the 13 Sherco 300i which was also impressive

So the Beta demo ride was fun and someone had already looped it out and cracked the rear fender so all I did was get it a little dirty in the one little 20 ft muddy stream which the guy didn’t care because it was demo rides. So the ergonomics weren’t bad but the bars felt super wide but mine are enduro bend/31” so I’m sure that’s why. After getting on it in the field I know why the guy looped it out and cracked the rear fender that thing has some serious power for a 250CC. And it’s not because I have been riding the 125 that thing has crazy power and actually a hit maybe to much of a hit for a long race I could see it wearing the rider out. And in Mud I’m thinking finding traction might be tough.  I mean it had power that made my 300 feel slow, I can’t imagine what the 300 feels like.  I was able to ride it in a higher gear and take advantage of the excellent power and also noticed that you could lug it down to almost idle and just roll on the throttle and it would accelerate and not even think about stalling.  The suspension was a bit harsh but I can’t really judge that not sure how many miles were on it and what it was set for. It’s sach’s front and back but I’m sure it can be dialed in to work nicely. The seat is grade A+ concrete if you can believe it harder than KTM seats of the past. The starter worked great and the bike felt very nimble and light weight to flick around. Also the handling was very good and stable as well.  One thing I’m noticing about the trails bike companies that are getting into to the endure/off-road bike market now like Beta, GG and Sherco they have some nice handling bikes.  So I have to say I was impressed with the bike and now I’m curious what a Beta 4 stroke might be like, yeah it doesn’t have EFI but in someways that isn’t really a bad thing because the 2 stroke jetting was spot on. And I’ve been told the thumpers are the same way.

This year I've had the chance to ride the GG 300 and it wasn't bad but I think the Beta might be a better package. Also rode the 13 Sherco 300i and that thing was very impressive and now I finally got to ride the Beta and it was impressive as well.

• Like 3

Glad you liked it...I love my 250 and love the power...just put on a 52 sprocket so will be testing that out soon, I had a 350RR four stroke before and although it handled well I would never go 4 stroke over the 250 or 300rr, they feel way heavier than a ktm and the only thing that makes them feel nice is the handling...if your riding open country then i can see it but not if you like single track that is tight. And yes the jetting on the 350RR 4 stroke was wicked, I am running the blue needle of my jd kit and it works well in my 250RR but I ride at 3000-7000 feet...cheers dave

Thanks for the comments guys and yeah the Beta was impressive. If I do decide to get one it would be a thumper probably to go with my 2 stroke. Heck might even consider a Dual sport to do some more dual sport rides.

As for which I liked better the Sherco or Beta that's a tough question, both felt good to me for what they were. For a light weight 4 stroke the Sherco was that and handled great and very nimble and flickable, and power was good similar to 250F but maybe just a tad more.  Beta for a 250 2 stroke felt really strong and maybe even stronger than my 12 300 KTM I just sold. I liked the light feel and handling was nice and power was awesome would take a little to get used to but could be good once I was used to it.  Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.

I ride a 450 RR on very tight mountain bike single track and it performs like a dream, Every time I ride it I cannot believe what a tractor it is at nearly zero rpm I can imagine that the 2 strokes are that much better. 

with the stock pipe it chugs great, i just threw on a fmf gnarly and WOW, torque MONSTER

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Glad you liked it...I love my 250 and love the power...just put on a 52 sprocket so will be testing that out soon, I had a 350RR four stroke before and although it handled well I would never go 4 stroke over the 250 or 300rr, they feel way heavier than a ktm and the only thing that makes them feel nice is the handling...if your riding open country then i can see it but not if you like single track that is tight. And yes the jetting on the 350RR 4 stroke was wicked, I am running the blue needle of my jd kit and it works well in my 250RR but I ride at 3000-7000 feet...cheers dave

hi is the 250 2t available with a smaller pipe maybe fmf or pro circuit? i found the stock fmf on it is way to quiet

hi is the 250 2t available with a smaller pipe maybe fmf or pro circuit? i found the stock fmf on it is way to quiet

why the heck would you want a louder pipe, the cool thing about the bike is that it is quiet and below allowable range..if you can't hear the pipe maybe you could run the pipe directly into your helmet? The only thing the FMF pipe that comes on the bike should have is a spark arrestor....

Edited by norona

why the heck would you want a louder pipe, the cool thing about the bike is that it is quiet and below allowable range..if you can't hear the pipe maybe you could run the pipe directly into your helmet? The only thing the FMF pipe that comes on the bike should have is a spark arrestor....

Michigan has cracked down on loud pipes when off road. I've seen a few bikes,ATV's and sleds pulled over in the last couple years. Last month a guy got 2 tickets totaling $420.00. One for being over 78db the other was for altering a stock exhaust which is a federal thing. Aftermarket exhaust are illegal ( thats why Beta won't install them on BYOB )  here and they will in force it. A spark arrester is also required. Many trails are on private land and owners are tired of listening to it. In a few cases the trail gets closed forever. Stealth is always best IMHO unless it's a closed coarse event.

Oh BC, had to stick your foot in it again, huh? The poster is from Australia so the spark arrestor comment is probably a non-issue, I think the US is the only country that thinks our exhausts start fires. As far as noise, I think most everyone here especially in the US knows how much noise has affected or right to ride, nuff said.

Tom

• Like 1

HEY dickhead if you cant answer a question by a fellow rider skip to the next thread.