Edelbrock pumper carb on 650R

I run 1 on my xrr and like it.I have a few minor mods-xr400 cdi,screen on air filter side panel,hotcams stage 1 .I run a stock muffler with the middle cut out.Even with the stock carb rejetted and the b53e needle at 4 notches rich I had a lean spot off idle .I have a local v-twin shop that does dyno runs with a/f ratio graph for $20 a run.The oem carb pulled 46rwhp on his dyno.With the eldo set up with a 21 e needle 15 clicks from lean my bike made 43rwhp and was showing a little rich.Much better low end snap+ no fiddleing with a choke lever .The eldo's wont flood if you lay the bike over.I got a 20e needle and set the idle mix 13 clicks from lean but I havent been back to the dyno .I just did a 1300 mile dual sport ride in nevada and got 40+ mpg with 6+ gallons of fuel and 40 lbs of camping gear.The eldo is not supported for spare parts anymore.If the 1 on my bike has a problem it will go on the wall.If you do a search on this forum you will find a member that machined .050" off of the bottem of the stock carb slide to richen it up and its supposed to run good.I have a core 41mm fcr from a 2005 crf450 but it is plugged up and is basically a  core carb that needs a very good boil out and rebuild.Its all about getting the correct a/f ratio at all rpm's .I could spend a day on a dyno just swapping carbs+ rejetting till I get the most hp.I let a buddy with a 2002 ktm 640 ride my bike and had to ask to get my bike back.Another thing I noticed about the eldo is that it not very sensitive to elevation changes.You only have to tweek the idle stop screw a little-I rode from 100' to 10.000' on my nevada trip.I suspect you could find a little more hp with a 41 fcr at top rpm on a dyno.but unless you are using the bike for a high rpm app like ice racing or sumo you wont notice.

I got one in used shape not long ago. So far it have mostly been pita. I can't make it stop leaning from middle to high even fith 21E needle, it's not that noticeable when moving but you still can feel it's not that stable there. Next the spacer of the float chamber is leaking constantly, letting dust to get through and it gets dirty there, the idles sometimes increase to 3000rpms by themselves and you can't adjust it less than that becouse it stalls if you do, until you take the carb out and clean it.

Acceleration seems to be a bit better or maybe smoother than on stock, but has less pull on any rpms (the pull that is in each second crank rotation), it's still enough on the offroad though, even in sands. The fuel consumption is amazing on this carb! I got the same as 250cc on offroad with little wide open throttle (needed to follow a mate with gps to get out of that maze), about 50 mpg, on pavement 250cc got more, I had the same 50  ?

The thing that confuses me is why does it have less diffuser diameter then stock??  :confused:

It's 42mm width and 36mm height, that makes 39mm. It has a mark on it "34", maybe it's a carb from drz? =)

Anyway I'm going to keep it, coz the places we go mostly lack acceptable gas stations, sometimes you need to go like 200-300miles offroad to get something that reminds you low octane gas+kerosene by the smell  :D

P.S. If I had a choise what to buy new, I would have probably choosen tm40, and there are no eddie carbs new anymore, just the price was very convincing )

P.S.2 Gas station:

https://downloader.disk.yandex.ru/preview/0994a30897b023aa40d36d4f415185d6/mpfs/jyyRDi4bOpJ850oXifMFup8ciBWb1c68Xi0bFeae6ErIGu2kUelwNriWccChqSM1X2aQhITGDNp3MrcGTTOO8w%3D%3D?uid=0&filename=DSC05390JPG&disposition=inline&hash=&limit=0&content_type=image%2Fjpeg&size=XXXL&crop=0

Edited by MCVL

my bike came with the eddy on it other than that it was stock except for some suspension work.  fork springs and rear shock spring were set up for the previous owner who was a little heavier than I am and he had the bushing in the clutch replaced cause I guess they were know for premature failure but anyway I now have a Baja designs street kit will the stator rewind stock gearing uni air filter all uncorked fmf power bomb full exhaust and removed the eddy and jetted the factory carb and put it on I don't think im as impressed with the factory carb as the eddy but I did not know you could not get parts for them and mine is leaking.  over all I cant say how pleased I am with this bike I love it weather its dirt or on the road its just to me the perfect all around bike and now reading from everyone on here im thnking of some more options for more power but $$$ will have to come my way first.... how fast have you had your bikes?  with just the eddy carb and corked and factory gearing before the exhaust my accurate Vector speedo read 117 mph to me on a haul road where I work and it was a little scary!

• 3 weeks later...

My newly acquired 650r came with the edy carb. After complete disassembly due to sitting with fuel in it for a few years the anti slosh foam disintegrated. Pretty simple carb to work on. Other than a torn accelerator pump plunger. After thinking it was now junk I called edelbrock.they are now making parts. Had the plunger in 2 days. Still waiting on the needle and seat those are on back order but will be available soon.guess they just started making the parts for these. Still not really happy with it, runs o.k.just doesn't seem to make great power on my uncorked pig. Maybe I'm just used to faster stuff?

Mine stopped leaning after installing 22E needle I got from ebay.

Runs better now. For longer, than before I hope.

Cold starts better than with stock carb.

But I think I should've bought TM40 anyway  ?

I'm the one who shaved the bottom of the stock slide .050 (I think). It takes away that lean spot just off idle,makes it feel more like a pumper, especially if you rn a bigger cam. I had for a about a year ran a Edel,it was ok but felt like the top end HP was flat.

My newly acquired 650r came with the edy carb. After complete disassembly due to sitting with fuel in it for a few years the anti slosh foam disintegrated. Pretty simple carb to work on. Other than a torn accelerator pump plunger. After thinking it was now junk I called edelbrock.they are now making parts. Had the plunger in 2 days. Still waiting on the needle and seat those are on back order but will be available soon.guess they just started making the parts for these. Still not really happy with it, runs o.k.just doesn't seem to make great power on my uncorked pig. Maybe I'm just used to faster stuff?

Good to know they are making parts for them again..

Been running one on my L for a few years now without a single problem.. its set up for low to mid range, they do fall flat on top but i ride tight woods and its perfect for that.   

Guess i got one of the good ones...

Glad to hear they are making parts again I like my eddy much better than the stock carb seems like all around better and smoother power and also better fuel economy. Mine has the same problem with the torn accelerator pump plunger! X2 to the better cold starts also