Sign in to follow this  

WestVirginia Hatfield McCoy trails for a novice on a ktm 690 e

Could anyone recommend some trail systems for a novice on a 690e?

Maybe as long as I stay on the green and blue trails?

Is it easy enough to get a hotel or should I make reservations well in advance? I was thinking about going towards the end of October.

Thx.

Could anyone recommend some trail systems for a novice on a 690e?

Maybe as long as I stay on the green and blue trails?

Is it easy enough to get a hotel or should I make reservations well in advance? I was thinking about going towards the end of October.

Thx.

I've never been to the Hatfield/McCoy trails, but I have done some off roading and dual sport riding. If I were a novice on a 690 KTM, I'd stay on the easiest trails (ie jeep roads or quad tracks) I could find. Especially if you're riding alone. Better safe than sorry, imo.

RB

I think as long as you stay on the easy trails you will be completely fine.  I haven't been to all the Hatfield/McCoy trail systems but the few I have been to always have a wide range different skill level trails.  Remember most of the main trails are wide enough for UTVs and some are really just nice dirt roads.  Once you get comfortable you can always start pushing yourself on slightly harder trails, honestly though none are going to be overly technical unless you get to some of the single track, my experience is it is less maintained.

Im down there at least every other weekend , year round. You should be ok on any of them with the exception of buffalo mountain and rockhouse. The thing with it at HMT is rock,,,,and alot of it. With a heavy bike be mindful of tire pressure due to rocks. Also be mindful it is remote. The indian ridge/pinnacle/pocahontas trails would be the best suited for you. Disregard any thoughts of jeep trails,,,,,,thats rock crawler country. Youll love it . Anything from easy to erzberg,,,,its all there . $50 for out of state pass. Great deal

Difficulty levels are somewhat labeled. The higher the number, the more difficult. At least for the single track. My least experienced riders (3) could not make 198?. They didn't even try 199. If you are new to that bike the suggested trail system is good. There is a hotel in Logan, right next to walmart and some watering holes. The hotel is ok with riders(of course). If you don't like rocks stay away from the ones suggested.

I've only rode buffalo mtn. But it would be fine if you stay on the regular trails. You wouldn't want to go taking the single tracks. I did 198 last year, 178 is a bit more challenging on a wet day. It took me 3 hours to get off 178, couldn't make it past a hill, turned around and couldn't make it up a hill we've already came down. We drug them out. I think the system needs to go through and renumber because once the trails get worn difficulty levels change dramatically.

Edited by RuFfRiDeR005

Hi all !   Just got back from HM a few weeks ago . We stayed at Ashland Park , it was clean , the people were great and gas was on site . We rode Indian , pinnacle and Pocohontas . With 3 systems connected there is a lot to choose from . Stay on green and maybe some of the blues . The trail that connects Indian to Pinnacle is very steep although it is green . We had a blast and will return soon . Good luck .  

• Like 1

I did Rockhouse and stayed at the Depot Lodge in Man WV. I ride a Honda CRF230F (wimpy trail bike) and I haven't ridden in the dirt in 40 years. I also did a day on Pocahontas.

The green trails are fun. On Pocahontas, the trail from the trailhead in Bramwell up to the main trail system is a fairly serious climb. Once you get up it, there are tons of fun places.

Both had a fairly high amount of rock, covered with some dirt or dirt between the big rocks. I'm not convinced that knobbies are really better than trails tires, as the dirt/rock often doesn't allow the knobs to dig in.

I recommend riding with a buddy or two. I fell and broke my clutch lever. I would not have wanted to get the bike back by myself.

There is fairly good cell phone coverage once you are up the mountains. Most of the "towns" have no cell coverage at all when you are down in the hollow.

Hi all ! The only reliable cell phone service at HM is ATT . I went to walmart and had to get a $20 trac phone .

anyone can ride the easy stuff , buffalo can get downright fun !

I an old, rusty rider. I found that many of the Green trails at Buffalo Mountain were too hard for me. I fell a lot, had to have a buddy ride my bike at too many places, and generally did not have a lot of fun riding there. The experts all loved it. My recommendation is for beginners and novices to stay away from Buffalo Mountain and just pick one of the easier systems. I've done Pocohontas and  Rockhouse and had a ball. I'll try Little Coal River in the spring.