Sign in to follow this  

Jump right at the exit of a turn

Hi all,

I'm an offroad racer and not used to MX and jumping, but wanna get into it to improve my offroad racing results.

On the local track I ride there is a small/medium double right after the exit of a turn (well maybe about 10m after). My problem is if I take the corner wide I don't get 100% straight on the take off and don't dare jump. The other option is to cut the turn, get straight with the take off and then gas it. With that method I can make it.

Now my question is what would happen if I would take the jump being not straight at take off? I'm afraid I would land outside of the track.

Thanks for any advice.

Learning to turn on the face of a jump comes with experience. Make sure you are comfortable hitting the jump straight before you try hitting it at an angle. I would suggest practicing turning on the face of a jump with a small jump in the middle of a straightaway that you are very comfortable on. Come towards it at a slight angle, and as you aproach the face try leaning into it and slightly turning. Weight your outside peg to keep good traction on the face. The goal is to turn slightly towards the landing as you are heading up the jump so you don't just jump off the track. As you practice it you will become more comfortable doing it. Once you are comfortable turning on the face of a jump when it is not really necessary, you can transfer that to a jump that is right out of a corner where you need to hit it while still turning. Just take it slow.

Edited by KJ790

I just practiced this exact technique on a certain jump yesterday that is the exact same scenario for me. If I go wide and get smoother power (i'm on a 125 so I have to blast at every jump out of corner on the pipe) I have to lean the bike up the face of the jump and off, but if I cut the corner and charge straight on I can still make it, but don't have to lean. I prefer leaning it because when I charge it straight on I have to stay on the pipe all the way up the face, which causes my to fly nose high, and then I have to brake tap to level out in the air. I honestly think brake tapping is fun for whatever goofy reason, but I like the feeling of being smooth coming wide around the corner.

Hi all,

I'm an offroad racer and not used to MX and jumping, but wanna get into it to improve my offroad racing results.

On the local track I ride there is a small/medium double right after the exit of a turn (well maybe about 10m after). My problem is if I take the corner wide I don't get 100% straight on the take off and don't dare jump. The other option is to cut the turn, get straight with the take off and then gas it. With that method I can make it.

Now my question is what would happen if I would take the jump being not straight at take off? I'm afraid I would land outside of the track.

Thanks for any advice.

Clearing a jump right out of a corner can be difficult for beginners. The Seat Bouncing Techniques are usually the best techniques to use in these situations. You can find the seat bouncing techniques in the Free Riding Tips page of my website http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips and also in my Volume 3 DVD #7 (Seat Bouncing and Launching Techniques) http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/vo3-dvd-7-motocross-absorb-scrub-whip-jumping-techniques

In order to get the most out of the seat bouncing techniques you need to be really good at using the clutch and throttle to deliver a lot of power to the rear wheel at the precise time. To do this correctly you need to use one or two fingers on the clutch. I prefer one finger because this way you can hold onto the grip better with the other three fingers. This way you can get on the power hard with the clutch and throttle. You do not slip the clutch like you do when you do a start, but instead you use the clutch more like a trigger, hitting the trigger (clutch) at the precise time you need to increase the power to the rear wheel. In this situation it would be when the rear wheel compresses into the jump. This increased power will multiply the seat bouncing technique giving you more height and distance.

Most beginner riders do not use the clutch in this way but instead depend on just the throttle alone. Even on a four stroke you need to learn to use that clutch and throttle together in order to control the power to the rear wheel more precisely.

For all the details of these techniques and more. Go to the Volume 3 DVDs numbers 3 (Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques, http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-3-clutch-throttle-clutch-control

#7 Seat Bouncing and Launching Techniques. http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/vo3-dvd-7-motocross-absorb-scrub-whip-jumping-techniques

I hope this helps you clear those jumps right out of the corner.

VP-2011-Everything copy.jpg