Sign in to follow this  

Soon to be a former owner

Have bike will travel!! Those roads seems a dream to be riding on!!

Great pictures!! Keep them coming!

The region here in the Black Forest (home of Touratech for example) is really, really nice for on-road riding. Seriously.

No riding for me this weekend though:

IMG_5969_resize.jpg?revision=1126&size=2

• Like 1

The region here in the Black Forest (home of Touratech for example) is really, really nice for on-road riding. Seriously.

No riding for me this weekend though:

IMG_5969_resize.jpg?revision=1126&size=2

We got some of that white stuff last night as well ....  :rant:  ....  :lol:

I sell collision parts so I like the snow and ice because people tend to crash and make me money ....  :p

Can you pick Gummy bears in that forest .....  :thinking:

I've replaced CRF250L with a Beta 400RR.

Honda is still in the garage for now. We get to ride almost all year, but when temperature drops bellow 20C no one wants to buy a bike.   :rolleyes:

post-340833-0-44457200-1383142731.jpg

I can write a few words if anyone is interested how CRFL compares to a hard-enduro bike. 

Cheers.

Edited by Balkan boy
  • Like 6

I've replaced CRF250L with a Beta 400RR.

Honda is still in the garage for now. We get to ride almost all year, but when temperature drops bellow 20C no one wants to buy a bike.   :rolleyes:

post-340833-0-44457200-1383142731.jpg

I can write a few words if anyone is interested how CRFL compares to a hard-enduro bike. 

Cheers.

Nice choice.  :thumbsup:

So what do you think of it???  

• Like 1

Cheers.

Sure !!! .... It's always cool to hear real opinions from people that own the machine....  :thumbsup:

My guess is that it is just awesome off road ... looks pretty small and light for a 400 ... I don't think it would be good for a 3 to 4 hour trip down the highway tho  ....  :smirk:

I have read and seen lots of good things on the Beta's and that is a true dirt machine you have there .... congrats !!! ....  :cheers:

Sure !!! .... It's always cool to hear real opinions from people that own the machine....  :thumbsup:

My guess is that it is just awesome off road ... looks pretty small and light for a 400 ... I don't think it would be good for a 3 to 4 hour trip down the highway tho  ....  :smirk:

I have read and seen lots of good things on the Beta's and that is a true dirt machine you have there .... congrats !!! ....  :cheers:

So how many 3-4 hour highway rides have you been on with your CRFL???  :devil:

:cheers:

• Like 2

So how many 3-4 hour highway rides have you been on with your CRFL???  :devil:

:cheers:

None ...... because in my car I can watch netflix and drink cocktails ....   :p

But, now that the 305  runs so good I can see myself doing it  ... maybe in the spring  :ride:

I was only pointing out that the beta is a street legal dirt bike like the ktm .... it is not considered a "Dual Sport" by any means ... and I am not knocking either of those bikes ... they Rock !!!  .... if only I was a younger man ....  :thinking:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

Well, if CRFL is a Swiss army knife, then Beta is a surgical scalpel. 

It's a purpose-built enduro machine. Here are some main specs:

Wight is around 113kg and the power around 45hp. Motor is carbureted, suspension (Sachs) is fully adjustable, E-start and a kick start, separate oil chambers for motor and gearbox.

It's incredibly fun and enjoyable bike. It wants to be run hard and takes everything in it's stride. First impression from two of my friends and myself was how forgiving the bike is. It saved my ass from some nasty situations by staying upright and finding traction on it's own. Rear wheel is like it's on rails and I feel I can thread the front wheel trough the needle's ears. Bike feels like it's made to be ridden standing up. I'm just finishing the brake-in so there wasn't any abuse so far. 

Bike is almost perfect out of the box and needs nothing to be changed or added (except hand guards). Three of us haven't found a fault yet. 

It uses proprietary  Beta engine (they've used KTM RFS engine before 2010.) witch is still young, but proving reliable. All important components are of high quality and well made.

Here's a comparison to the CRFL:

- Seat is quite a bit higher (7-10cm). Footpegs are also higher so the whole package feels a lot taller. Seat is a penance. I'm going to try, but there's no way you can travel or tour on this seat. CRFL's seat feels like a sofa after it and that's not a hyperbole. 

- Fuel consumption is two or three times that of the CRFL. Range is only 80-90km per 8l tank or 8-10l/100km deepening on terrain and riding. I'm not thrilled about this aspect.

- Suspension and brakes are light years ahead. 

- It get's very twitchy on the road above 80-90km/h. (I'm not sure if this is definite since I haven't ridden much on the road)

- All that power and torque will keep you grinning all day long.

- There are some vibrations but they are not causing discomfort. My CRFL had none. Exhaust is much louder.

- Oil changes at 30h work hours. (that comes to 2-3000km). No major services required, depending on the abuse. 

- CRFL cost me 4500€/6100$. Beta cost me 6500€/8800$. Mine is a last year's model so I got a nice discount. Beta is cheeper (and some say better) then the KTM.

I've also spent a lot of money on the CRFL (tires, sprockets, bars, protection) trying to make it suit me and I never was fully satisfied for hard off road.

Yesterday I rode it a little and it's a really, really nice bike for what it is. 

I don't like the term 'dual sport', but CRFL is exactly that. A great all around, economical bike. 

My advice to the owners would be to just ride it and don't waste money and energy on perfecting it. 

Cheers.

IMG_1263 copy.JPG

Edited by Balkan boy
  • Like 5

I don't like the term 'dual sport', but CRFL is it. A great all around, economical bike. 

My advice to the owners would be to just ride it and don't waste money and energy on perfecting it. 

Cheers.

All depends on what a guy wants ... I think of the way I am building up mine is in terms of a jeep or very capable off road vehicle ... I am not racing anybody. I just want to enjoy off roading and still be able to get thru some gnarly stuff.  I do not believe anybody in their right mind would think the CRF250L could be a competitive machine against something like the beta or ktm. 

Nice write up on the beta and congrats again !!!  ... gear up and be safe out there ...  :thumbsup:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

None ...... because in my car I can watch netflix and drink cocktails ....   :p

But, now that the 305  runs so good I can see myself doing it  ... maybe in the spring  :ride:

I was only pointing out that the beta is a street legal dirt bike like the ktm .... it is not considered a "Dual Sport" by any means ... and I am not knocking either of those bikes ... they Rock !!!  .... if only I was a younger man ....  :thinking:

Just wondering...  :rolleyes:   Some days riding the couch for 3-4 hours is too much for me...  :cripple:

I would love to have a Beta.  ;)  

• Like 1

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it looks like I'll be in the US starting April. I'm not sure yet which bike to get, there are so many options. I guess first I want to look around what type of riding I can do in the area (south of Atlanta).

I don't think I'll go for a big ADV, as much as I'd like to have one, I think it's just too heavy/expensive to take off the road, given my level of experience, and if I don't take it off road, then there is no point in buying one. At the moment I lean towards a 250 (CRF or WR) plus an inexpensive bike for touring on the street. Something like the Honda CB500 or Suzuki V-Strom 650.

On a side note, it looks like I have to take both car and motorbike licences again, because Georgia apparently doesn't recognize the ones I have...

• Like 1

It probably would, problem is, I feel no desire to own a KLR 650. I am sure the bike can do more than I can do, but it just doesn't excite me in any way.

I think the only "middle" sized dual sport I wouldn't mind would be one of the Yamaha XT660, but you can't get those in the states.

I guess it also depends on if I can find people that I can ride with, and what type of riding that will be.

The only "rational" reason I have to own a big ADV (I think "wanting" one just "because" is irrational :D) is that it would be worth it bringing it back from the US. A bike like the Super Tenere or KTM Adventure is new something like 3500-4000 USD more expensive over here.

My mate has a Super Teneree but after buying a DRZ400E he has decided to sell it cause it's a slow lethargic waste of money.

• Like 1

It's incredibly fun and enjoyable bike. It wants to be run hard and takes everything in it's stride. First impression from two of my friends and myself was how forgiving the bike is. It saved my ass from some nasty situations by staying upright and finding traction on it's own. Rear wheel is like it's on rails and I feel I can thread the front wheel trough the needle's ears. Bike feels like it's made to be ridden standing up. I'm just finishing the brake-in so there wasn't any abuse so far. 

Bike is almost perfect out of the box and needs nothing to be changed or added (except hand guards). Three of us haven't found a fault yet. 

It uses proprietary  Beta engine (they've used KTM RFS engine before 2010.) witch is still young, but proving reliable. All important components are of high quality and well made.

- Fuel consumption is two or three times that of the CRFL. Range is only 80-90km per 8l tank or 8-10l/100km deepening on terrain and riding. I'm not thrilled about this aspect.

I couldn't live with 90 km from a tank even for a play bike. The 350 exc does over 150km from a tank.

My mate has a Super Teneree but after buying a DRZ400E he has decided to sell it cause it's a slow lethargic waste of money.

I guess it all depends on what you want from a bike.

As I said, there is no real rational reason for me to buy a big ADV. I am pretty sure I'm just going to get another CRF. Realistically I don't think I'll do much long distance, or even multi-day touring. But have to see if I can find a group of other riders.

I also have to see where I am going to live, not sure I would want to park an expensive bike on the street if I can't get a place with a garage. And from what I have seen there aren't that many apartments with garages, and I'm not going to get a house just for myself.

Have to say, the moving from place to place is starting to stress me out. I have to take care of apartment, car, bike, insurances, phone, internet etc. once again. And my company is so slow.. I am supposed to fly out on the 31st, flights are booked. But because everything else took so long I will have a chat with our company tax advisor for the first time tomorrow, will have the appointment at the consulate for the visa on Friday, and I still didn't get a date for the moving company to come to my place to get my stuff...

It's finally starting to get nice over here, too. Did some riding last weekend, been a while. And now I want to go even less...

And I'm still not sure what to do with my bike over here. It might not exactly be a very desirable bike, but for the riding I do over here it's all I need. I don't feel I need more power, it's smooth, reliable, comfortable and easy to ride. And I usually get over 400km between filling up, which I like too. Probably just store it in a friends barn...

IMG_1529.jpg?revision=1126&size=256  IMG_1546.jpg?revision=1126&size=256

IMG_1570.jpg?revision=1126&size=256  IMG_1576.jpg?revision=1126&size=256

• Like 1