Riding with Jewelry?

So I tied the knot almost a year ago and was never a big 'wear jewelry' kinda guy.  Almost a year later the wifey is starting to get annoyed that I sometimes forget to wear my ring. (looks down) ok most of the time. Any good responses and/or advice on riding with or without a ring?

Edited by INJURY_69

I always take mine off. I can't pull the clutch in far enough with it on. I usually pull it in till it touches my ring finger, but with the ring on it makes my finger just thick enough to where it won't engage. Plus, it gives me some nasty blisters. I take it off when I go white water rafting, splitting fire wood, digging trenches or virtually any manual labor. I have been married for two years now and didn't wear my ring for about a full year. I just put it back on about a month ago, but still take it off for the above activities. I always put it in my wallet for safe keeping though. The Mrs. wouldn't be too happy with me if I lost it.

Doesnt seem like a bad idea to keep the ol'lady happy. Since the ring would be under gloves I assume, I dont see how it could get caught up with your controls. Long as its not uncomfortable to ride with I would say go for it.  Dont wear bracelets though lol I seen some guys go down hard because of those stupid rubberband things getting stuck on bars and levers.

Sounds like your lady is putting basing your marriage/love more on the ring itself than the former.

Well you could wear around your neck while riding

I wear one, but mine is fairly thin. Took a while to get used to having it on. It used to bother me a bit, but I wear it doing almost everything now. I don't notice it under my gloves at all. It's pretty beat up and scratched, but I like the worn in look. I'm not real flashy anyways and don't want it too shiny.

My wife could care less if I wear my ring. However, I do wear it all the time except when my hand is swollen (getting old and arhritic) and I need to stretch the ring. I have hammered in on a few cosckets to re-round it and enlarge it, but not enough.

I take mine off and leave it in the door of my truck.

Just bugs me having it on when riding.

It's the only thing I wear, other than clothes (most of the time anyways)

I am used to taking it off all the time. Due to work, can't wear it because of electrical arcing and fun +1000 volt stuff.

My wife wears mine on her thumb while I ride.....it gives me a weird blister and annoys the crap out of me when I'm riding. Otherwise it's on all the time....after 25 years I'm kind of used to it.

As an EMT I will tell you that if you are in an accident with a hand injury we try to remove all rings ASAP and it can be very painful. I would consider maybe leaving in the truck or get a chain for you neck and where it there. I did wear mine riding last week and I got a bit of  a blister from the ring pinching my finger which is annoying. 

Never taken my ring off.... Never will....

I hate wearing rings also, plus where I work as a mechanic on forming presses not allowed to wear them, so I hardly ever wear it around the house or while riding ect. Bothered her at first but she saw it in my view of light and is ok with it. I do however make sure to put it on before we go out anywhere. IMO some women see it as branding and marking you as taken, so could be she just feels insecure?

I hate wearing rings also, plus where I work as a mechanic on forming presses not allowed to wear them, so I hardly ever wear it around the house or while riding ect. Bothered her at first but she saw it in my view of light and is ok with it. I do however make sure to put it on before we go out anywhere. IMO some women see it as branding and marking you as taken, so could be she just feels insecure?

We are not allowed to wear rings at work either. When I was married and told my wife this, she didn't believe me. When I lost my first ring in a big mud pit walking off of a drill rig, I decided to get a small carabiner on my keychain and I would put the ring there when I had to take it off. We got to see a nice video of hand injuries with rings on fingers. 

Do not click on these if you get grossed out easily.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/ringaccidentuu2.jpg/

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/Josh_Hammond/New_Image_5.jpg

Edited by EagleFreek

I almost always wear my ring but not when I ride. I tried riding with it a few times but found it to be very uncomfortable so it stays in the truck.

It is easy to bend a ring tight on your finger and you would be surprised how much it hurts.I did it a couple of times working as a mechanic,luckily I had a snap ring pliers handy to bend it back.If that would have happened where I didn't have anything to relieve the pressure....

As an EMT I will tell you that if you are in an accident with a hand injury we try to remove all rings ASAP and it can be very painful. I would consider maybe leaving in the truck or get a chain for you neck and where it there. I did wear mine riding last week and I got a bit of  a blister from the ring pinching my finger which is annoying. 

This is why I don't wear mine when I ride either.  Like above if there is a hand injury your finger could swell to where they have to cut the ring off.  Also, some rings are made to where they can't be cut (forgot the name of material) and that could cause some real serious injuries.  You'd have to wait till you got to the hospital before they could remove it and by then most of the damage would be done.  I'm sure we've all seen how swollen a break, bruise or sprain can be and it is NOT a good thing if something (a ring) is there to restrict that swelling.

This is why I don't wear mine when I ride either.  Like above if there is a hand injury your finger could swell to where they have to cut the ring off.  Also, some rings are made to where they can't be cut (forgot the name of material) and that could cause some real serious injuries.  You'd have to wait till you got to the hospital before they could remove it and by then most of the damage would be done.  I'm sure we've all seen how swollen a break, bruise or sprain can be and it is NOT a good thing if something (a ring) is there to restrict that swelling.

I believe you are referring to tungsten carbide. From what I remember it can't be cut but there is a way to break it with a hammer. I've heard of these rings shattering when dropped the right way on a tile floor.

I would tell your wife that for your safety and not wanting to have to buy another leaving it behind when riding is the best option.

I wear mine out of habit, because I take great pride in being a married man/family man.  I'm not against removing my wedding ring, but it doesn' bother me anyway when I ride and the material of my ring doesn't show evidence of "dirt biker wear."  So I leave mine on.

Wear it. You never know when you will be in trouble somewhere on a trail and need a friendly trail crackhead to come help you out of a ditch or something. U can let him hold the ring as collateral until u come back with the cash.

(worse advice ever)  :thumbsup:

Mods please move to Thumpette forum. Thanks