Sign in to follow this  

Replaced Choke Cable and ended up with minor issue...(RESOLVED)

I replaced the choke cable on my DR650se earlier today. It got dark outside before I finished, and trying to route the cable properly in the handlebar switch proved challenging.

I completed(?) the install, but now when the choke is engaged and released, it releases on its on to the un-choked position.

The choke plunger spring was installed the same way it came out so I do not feel as though that would be the issue.

Can anyone offer a possible explanation as to what may be incorrect?

Thanks in advance,
joe

Edited by flgolfer29

How does the choke lever mount to the switch housing? Some of these levers like this work by friction, depending on how tight its mounting screw is. If you took the lever loose from the switch housing, make sure you reassembled it correctly. Levers like this have a washer on each side of the lever barrel.

How does the choke lever mount to the switch housing? Some of these levers like this work by friction, depending on how tight its mounting screw is. If you took the lever loose from the switch housing, make sure you reassembled it correctly. Levers like this have a washer on each side of the lever barrel.

There is a nut near the switch housing, right where the 90 degree metal elbow begins.  I tightened it a bit, but it made no difference on the cable friction.  I will take the switch apart again this weekend (during day light hours, ha) and check for proper routing through it.  Something I did not mention in the original post.  When I finished the install and began tool cleanup, I found another spring, tightly wound about 1" in length.  I'm not sure if it fell out of the switch during disassembly or if it was from a previous project.. 

Thanks, Trailryder42

There is a nut near the switch housing, right where the 90 degree metal elbow begins.  I tightened it a bit, but it made no difference on the cable friction.  I will take the switch apart again this weekend (during day light hours, ha) and check for proper routing through it.  Something I did not mention in the original post.  When I finished the install and began tool cleanup, I found another spring, tightly wound about 1" in length.  I'm not sure if it fell out of the switch during disassembly or if it was from a previous project.. 

Thanks, Trailryder42

I finally had a chance to review the choke cable install yesterday after work. I opened up the left handlebar switch to verify the choke cable routing, it was correctly routed. Closed the switch back up and tightened the nut that is located on the top end of the cable. That had no affect to cable friction at all.

As it turns out, the spring I found during tool cleanup was indeed a part of the assembly and needed to be returned to its proper position. On the bottom of the switch you will find a small silver piece held on with one screw, and a small hole just opposite of said screw. The spring fits into a small opening under the plate and gives the property cable friction as needed.

joe