Evens Coolant in the Beta

I've been using the Evens coolant in my 300 for a few years now and just love the stuff. I like it so much that I'm now using it in my Beta. The only drawback to it is that it expands and spits out just enough to where I end up putting a few ounces in after each ride to get it over the top of the fins when cold. It got the real test this last weekend on the nasty, steep, rocky 1st and 2nd gear trail. It was also hovering in the 90's. 

I really fought against using it for many years. Of course I have the fan, high output water pump and and hoses. For the type of riding I do, this stuff works great. I'm not trying to "sell" this on anyone here. Just giving another option.

Between the Evens, fan, water pump, and hoses, I finally have a bike that doesn't boil over on the nasty stuff. FWIW, this trail I was on was a true test to how this stuff works.

Problem with these high end coolant is that the motor/system still see high temps just doesn't boil over. So when you boiled over in the past you most likely changed/altered your riding. Now you ride at 300* vs. 220*, is it good to be at this temp???

I do run engine ice which has a higher boiling point vs. standard but not as high as the Evans/Zip Ty coolant. There are other benefits of these coolant like corrosion protection, consistent mix and longer shelf life. Either type you use is better than no coolant when you're stuck on the trail!

The trick to Evans is don't top it up. It expands, reaches the level it wants, leave it there. Every time you fill it you are just throwing out coolant. I've been going on the same batch of Evans in my current bike for 2yrs. Even with 4 top ends, just drain in clean container and refill. I never lose any coolant besides the initial expansion. This is the level it wants to be.

The trick to Evans is don't top it up. It expands, reaches the level it wants, leave it there. Every time you fill it you are just throwing out coolant. I've been going on the same batch of Evans in my current bike for 2yrs. Even with 4 top ends, just drain in clean container and refill. I never lose any coolant besides the initial expansion. This is the level it wants to be.

Thanks for the tip. Kind of strange that it stays just below the fins when cold. I am going to fire up the bike and let it warm up then see where it sets.

Old habits die hard. For years I always would top off my coolant just past the fins. I was used to seeing it there when my engine was cold.

Simple thermo properties, more heat = more expansion.

Simple thermo properties, more heat = more expansion.

Were do you get the more heat from?

Were do you get the more heat from?

Don't mind him, he just like to stir the pot. When I was running regular coolant it did the same thing (just below fins when cold). Just the nature of the cooling system on my bike. The main thing is no overheating issues. My temp strips stay below max and my fan kicks on/off at a little over 200.

Evans expand more than traditional coolant when heated. It also because of the chemicals used has less heat absorption in theory will make the system run hotter. Don't take my word, do a search and you will find this.

No one is stirring the pot just giving some info that was given to from several people that use to run Evans. I prefer engine ice because it's cheaper and has a lower boiling point than Evans. Also if a coolant line burst I don't have to worry my balls will catch fire.

Edited by weantright

I have been tracking temperature with the trail tech digital on my 300 and temp strips on my Beta for a few seasons now. The bikes run no hotter and in the case of my 300, quite a bit cooler after switching to the Evens.

The Evens can catch on fire if the overflow drains onto the header. But so can the gasoline which is even closer. I just leave my radiator overflow routed to the skid plate.

For years I have been sick and tired of dealing with bikes boiling over in the slow stuff. I'm not that good of a rider and I tend to run a gear high, and slip the clutch up the steep, nasty, walking pace stuff. When racing desert it was the same deal. Lots of bulldogging up steep, loose rocks and deep sand.

This stuff is not for everyone. If you ride fast and can keep the air flowing over the radiators, then Evens is not for you. OTOH, if you're slow and ride super slow, nasty terrain, it's another option.

I've been using the Evens coolant in my 300 for a few years now and just love the stuff. I like it so much that I'm now using it in my Beta. The only drawback to it is that it expands and spits out just enough to where I end up putting a few ounces in after each ride to get it over the top of the fins when cold. It got the real test this last weekend on the nasty, steep, rocky 1st and 2nd gear trail. It was also hovering in the 90's. 

Check your radiator cap pressure rating. Even after adding the fan, my 520 would still lightly boil a little coolant out when warm enough to run the fan. I switched from the 1.2 cap (2011 RS) to the 1.8 cap (2011 RR) and it has not lost a drop of coolant since. Even when the fan is ON for a long time!

Catfish ...

Check your radiator cap pressure rating. Even after adding the fan, my 520 would still lightly boil a little coolant out when warm enough to run the fan. I switched from the 1.2 cap (2011 RS) to the 1.8 cap (2011 RR) and it has not lost a drop of coolant since. Even when the fan is ON for a long time!

Catfish ...

I have the 1.8 cap.