2006 Electrical Help... stator? wires? coil?

Whats the worst problem to have with any vehicle? Electrical Gremlins!

Last weekend I was riding on the trails with my 2006 CRF450r and all of a sudden she just died. I have both an hour meter and a trailtech voyager, so it was clear quickly that I had no spark to the wire.

Then after a few minutes she fired right up. Only to die, and then start again. I disconnected the kill switch, but this made no difference. When it did run, it ran perfectly. There seemed to be no pattern as to when it would die, it was totally random. In all cases is had no spark (as indicated by the RPM gauge on the computer, and the hour meter) but then very soon after dying would fire right back up and run great again for a while.

I was able to limp it home and of course in the garage it starts and runs fine.

Searching through the forums it seems there are 3 main suspects:

1. Bad Stator/metal shavings on the pickup

2. Bad wire somewhere

3. Bad Coil

Here is a quick list of mods that would be relevant here:

- Trailtech 70w upgraded stator and flywheel kit

- Trailtech voyager computer and lights

I took off the left engine cover and inspected the pickup and stator. They look pristine and have no metal shavings anywhere. The stator is about 2 years old and does not have many hours on it.

I am no expert with a multimeter, but I think I did everything right. The results look a little wierd to me.

- Primary Coil resistance 45ohm at 10 degrees C (multimeter set to 200ohm) - Manual says 0.1-0.3 

- Secondary Coil resistance .45kohm at 10 degC (multimeter set to 20kohm) - Manual says 9-16k (with cap) 

(I tested this by connecting the multimeter to the terminal on the coil and the part of the spark plug wire that would go to the plug. I left the plug wire connected)

- Exciter coil resistance 100ohm at 10 degC (multimeter set to 200ohm) - Manual says 9-25

(I tested this by pushing male connectors (meant to be crimped on the end of a wire) into the female on the end of the molex connector that goes into the CDI. I am not sure if this would skew the readings?)

- Ignition pulse 290ohm at 10 degC (Multimeter set to 200ohm) - Maunal says 180-280

(I tested this with the same male connectors as the exciter coil test)

So am I am moron who cant use a multimeter?

My expectation is that since it is running fine all these tests should come out perfect. Strange that they all look so wierd. Is it because I have an aftermarket stator?

I was kind of thinking of just getting a wiring harness off ebay, and buying a brand new coil. Looking on the forums though, it doesnt sound like coils really die on these bikes.

I'm not sure what to replace, what to do here. Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

exciter coil on a TT stator should be about 25 ohms across the blue and white wires

pulse generator on TT stator should be about 20 ohms, blue/yellow to green/white

Sounds like your exciter is the problem to me

Thanks for the help man. I put a call into trailtech and ran some diagnostics and they feel its the stator as well.

I still am doubting my multimeter for some reason, so I am going to borrow another one to confirm, however I think it is the trailtech stator as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who is searching the forums later.

I thought I would note that although I got some wierd readings from the stator that one time, every other time I tested it, the readings were fine.

That said, I did replace the stator, and rode yesterday with absolutely no problems.

SO if your bike is just randomly shutting off and kicking back on again, start with the stator! That was my problem.