Sign in to follow this  

06 kx450f running issues...

I have 2 problems, first the more recent: While in low rpms and after decelerating to lower rpms, when i give it throttle it coughs and dies. i don't snap the throttle and i don't go from idle to wide open when it does this. Accelerator pump works too! is there a setting for this or is this a common problem?

2nd- the bike idles alittle rough and on the stand if i rev it and hold it or slowing raise the rpms, it runs alittle rough. backfires alittle too. I adjusted the air/fuel screw and i moved it quite a bit from where it was and it helped but i don't want to go too far. 

any suggestions?

maybe you got a little water in the fuel.. might try to drain the bowl and see what you get. also, I have a 2006 450f, and jetting can make a difference if if the weather has changed drastically. check water first though.

I just took the carb all apart and cleaned it all so i know there no water. and the tank was drained. The bike runs the same as before i took it apart so i know i didnt screw anything up. And when i got it in march it was still really cold out, from then to a few weeks ago it ran great, so i dont think its the jetting. but im not completely sure. Ive never had this happen before so im lost haha

when I got mine it was cold, actually had snow on the track.. bike had a 175 main jet.. ran like a m'fer. as the summer wore on and it got hotter and more humid, it ran doggier and doggier, to the point of being a slobbering pig. Swapped the main for a 172, and its back to being a beast..and never did adjust the airscrew.  I guess it just depends on which side of the jetting curve your on. Look in the manual and do the jetting/temp/altitude conversion and make sure its spot on. I don't think on this bike jetting is a super critical thing, but again, it depends on how close to the jet limit you are.. and once you figure out the 2 jets you need for your region and weather changes, its only a 5 minute job

Try a brand new pilot jet. Stock 42 for moderate temps at sea level.

Try new plug.

Once it works better, consider the optional Q needle. Check owner's manual. Slightly richer at 1/4 throttle. Awesome response.