Sign in to follow this  

Does the master cylinder actually make that big of a difference?

So im guessing it does but i just put my new caliper on my bike and its not as good as my other bike. I didnt realize that the difference was that much. i have no idea what size or even who makes the other one. Which i find inconvenient because i cant change the brake lever on my 06 because i dont know what fits on there. the lever is brembo and the master i think is different. I had enough trouble finding a micro switch when the other one broke. but i dont think the stock master is going to work on my 09. What size should i be using with this? know of anywhere in particular that i could buy one relatively cheap? i've spent SOOOOO much money on this bike recently. Preferably not one that i have to switch to a pressure switch...

20130919_130954_zps39ceaf47.jpg

First off, WOW, looks great!

I run a Katana master cylinder like this one with my 4 piston caliper.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Suzuki-GSX600-GSX-600-Katana-front-master-cylinder-/350864743062?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b12b1a96&vxp=mtr  It is a 14mm master and it uses the same brake switch as the DRZ.  (The link I sent is just a sample, that one has a bit of road rash...)  Certainly the stock master is not going to provide the best braking potential for your very nice Brembo set-up.  

I bought this as a low cost upgrade to the stock DRZ unit and it has worked out very well.  I think I paid about $20.00 for the unit I bought.  The same master is also used on some other Suzuki models...

DRZ%252014mm%2520master%25202.jpg

DRZ_2-5-12%2520ktm%2520guards_sm.jpg

• Like 1

Radtech - What is the story on your mirrors?  I recognize the Mirrorcycle bicycle mirror heads but where did the mounting brackets come from?  Custom made? Nice.

Jawk, if I were you, I'd keep the DRZ I like the best out of the two and part out the other one. Buy a 2008 or later Aprilia SXV 550 and use the DRZ as your daily ride and the SXV for weekends in the hills and track days. With all the time, money, and sanity you're spending to get the DRZs identical you could be spending time only doing 500 mile oil changes. A completely stock SXV will blow the shi.it out of the DRZ 434.

Edited by Bluelunatic
  • Like 1

Jawk, if I were you, I'd keep the DRZ I like the best out of the two and part out the other one. Buy a 2008 or later Aprilia SXV 550 and use the DRZ as your daily ride and the SXV for weekends in the hills and track days. With all the time, money, and sanity you're spending to get the DRZs identical you could be spending time only doing 500 mile oil changes. A completely stock SXV will blow the shi.it out of the DRZ 434.

ive considered this but im already working on bikes way more than i want to. if i had anything less dependable id never get to ride...

I run a Katana master cylinder like this one with my 4 piston caliper.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Suzuki-GSX600-GSX-600-Katana-front-master-cylinder-/350864743062?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b12b1a96&vxp=mtr  It is a 14mm master and it uses the same brake switch as the DRZ.  (The link I sent is just a sample, that one has a bit of road rash...)  Certainly the stock master is not going to provide the best braking potential for your very nice Brembo set-up.  

I bought this as a low cost upgrade to the stock DRZ unit and it has worked out very well.  I think I paid about $20.00 for the unit I bought.  The same master is also used on some other Suzuki models...

I kept reading about you doing this but i didnt think i could/should/would. I didnt realize the difference. So its pretty much drain brake fluid, disconnect line and unplug wires then reassemble? my 06 might have a brembo master cylinder. but the cap is different so i cant tell. it has coarse thread like brembo has so i had to reuse the bolts that were on my old line instead of the finer ones that came with my hel lines. 

Did you keep your rubber line on purpose? 

I kept reading about you doing this but i didnt think i could/should/would. I didnt realize the difference. So its pretty much drain brake fluid, disconnect line and unplug wires then reassemble? my 06 might have a brembo master cylinder. but the cap is different so i cant tell. it has coarse thread like brembo has so i had to reuse the bolts that were on my old line instead of the finer ones that came with my hel lines. 

Did you keep your rubber line on purpose? 

I think the thread for the banjo in the Katana master was different than the stock DRZ if I remember correctly.  But otherwise, pretty simple swap, just be sure to bleed the brakes well and you are all set.  

Regarding the rubber line... I still plan to get a HEL or similar line, but the brake lever feel is very good even with the rubber line, I know the steel line would make it better.  I can use 1 or 2 fingers to stop as it is, I am happy with my brake set-up and I do not have much invested in the complete system...  

I think the thread for the banjo in the Katana master was different than the stock DRZ if I remember correctly.  But otherwise, pretty simple swap, just be sure to bleed the brakes well and you are all set.  

Regarding the rubber line... I still plan to get a HEL or similar line, but the brake lever feel is very good even with the rubber line, I know the steel line would make it better.  I can use 1 or 2 fingers to stop as it is, I am happy with my brake set-up and I do not have much invested in the complete system...  

I have my front steel line that i took off of my 06 when i did the front and back HEL lines. Let me know if you want it. if not its getting shipped to alabama with the rest of my extra parts. Probably Never to be seen again...

I recognize the Mirrorcycle bicycle mirror heads but where did the mounting brackets come from?  .

Knowing Radtech, I'm guessing, This will not be a simple answer.

Edited by toadl

any idea what years will fit? all of them? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-KATANA-GSX750F-750-FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-/380697658585?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a35944d9&vxp=mtr

which levers did you put on yours? did you have to buy 2 different ones? one for each side? 

Edited by jawknee21

I did Sonoma Raceway on Tues. (video is in the Nor Cal thread) and I was eating up the sportbikes on stock DRZ brakes and there are some very heavy braking zones. It was more rider skill than equipment, because I was in the novice group chasing down some very new track riders. I don't understand why street only riders are spending big bucks on brake upgrades. Is it really just a FEEL thing for you guys? Have you had that many bikes where now you need the DRZ to FEEL like other bikes with better stopping power? Is it a bling thing? If it's a bling thing show me to have more money than sense!

There is no way it could be a speed thing. Not on the street under any circumstance vs the demands at the track. I lifted the rear tire going into a very tight down hill chicane in the second session finding the limit very quickly. If I continued to track the bike would I want better brakes? Yes. I'd buy an SXV 550! :lol:

Edited by Bluelunatic

DRZ%2014mm%20master%202.jpg

DRZ_2-5-12%20ktm%20guards_sm.jpg

I would also like to know about the mirrors. Also is that a Trackside brake lever?

Oh BTW Jawk I just realized something.

Look at this Brembo master.

brembo-rcs-master-cylinder.jpg

You see how the lever pull goes directly into the cylinder? The diameter of that cylinder and the orientation of the master is a direct result of the extra stopping power and feel you get at the lever. It also holds the fluid horizontally feeding the line in the same orientation. I read a whole analysis about it on a sportbike site years ago and can't remember the finer details, but the function has everything to do with the result.

Oh BTW Jawk I just realized something.

Look at this Brembo master.

brembo-rcs-master-cylinder.jpg

You see how the lever pull goes directly into the cylinder? The diameter of that cylinder and the orientation of the master is a direct result of the extra stopping power and feel you get at the lever. It also holds the fluid horizontally feeding the line in the same orientation. I read a whole analysis about it on a sportbike site years ago and can't remember the finer details, but the function has everything to do with the result.

but what i wanna know is if it cost a lot. if its not over $300 then i dont want it! haha. what is this one called? The good thing about my brembo calipers is that i can actually decide how much brake i want to apply. it seems to be finer than just on/off which the stock caliper seemed like to me. maybe its just me though. ive seen this brembo master before but i didnt know if i could get it. i figured this whole time that the stock one was good enough. now it actually feels worse with the stock master and brembo caliper than it did with the stock caliper...

Radtech - What is the story on your mirrors?  I recognize the Mirrorcycle bicycle mirror heads but where did the mounting brackets come from?  Custom made? Nice.

I have been running these for years on my bike and they are great and yes I did make the mounts for them.  During the winter I run covers over the controls and I just use an extension so the mirrors sit up a little more...  

IMAG2742c.jpg

I have my front steel line that i took off of my 06 when i did the front and back HEL lines. Let me know if you want it. if not its getting shipped to alabama with the rest of my extra parts. Probably Never to be seen again...

Very nice offer... I'm certainly interested, maybe there is something that I can also help you out with.  I have a 5/8" remote reservoir style Suzuki master cylinder that might also work with your Brembo caliper.  I think the piston sizes in your caliper are larger than the pistons in the R1 caliper that I use.  I bought the 5/8" master when I was doing my conversion just in case i did not like the feel of the 14mm Katana unit, but I never ran the 5/8" unit.  It would need a reservoir and a mount for the reservoir, but I have the master and the lever if you are interested.  It also has the same brake light switch as the DRZ...

IMG_6568.JPG

any idea what years will fit? all of them? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-KATANA-GSX750F-750-FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-/380697658585?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a35944d9&vxp=mtr

which levers did you put on yours? did you have to buy 2 different ones? one for each side? 

That master look the same as what I bought.  They are a fairly common Suzuki item.

I bought a pair of levers like these for a SV650 / Katana   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Suzuki-SV650-S-DL650-V-STROM-600-750-KATANA-2006-Black-/251309052325?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a832fd1a5&vxp=mtr  I had to slightly modify the clutch lever and a slight modification to the stock DRZ clutch perch to make everything fit correctly.  I spent about 10 minutes with a file and a vise to make it all work.  The brake lever for the Katana style master is much different than the stock DRZ brake lever, so i just took a chance when I bought the levers hoping that the clutch lever would work out.  I should have bought a lottery ticket that night as well...  I have run the levers for about 20 months, ~ 35K miles...  no problems.

• Like 1

what is this one called?

It's a radial master cylinder. Many newer sport bikes have them, 06+ R6 for example have the brembo one.

I'm running the master cylinder off of a CBR (600RR) on my DRZ. It's in my build thread.

Most bikes have the same brake light switch as the DRZ, typically the ones that don't have that switch use spade terminals, and it's easy enough to put connectors on your current wiring to make it work.

That master look the same as what I bought.  They are a fairly common Suzuki item.

I bought a pair of levers like these for a SV650 / Katana   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Suzuki-SV650-S-DL650-V-STROM-600-750-KATANA-2006-Black-/251309052325?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a832fd1a5&vxp=mtr  I had to slightly modify the clutch lever and a slight modification to the stock DRZ clutch perch to make everything fit correctly.  I spent about 10 minutes with a file and a vise to make it all work.  The brake lever for the Katana style master is much different than the stock DRZ brake lever, so i just took a chance when I bought the levers hoping that the clutch lever would work out.  I should have bought a lottery ticket that night as well...  I have run the levers for about 20 months, ~ 35K miles...  no problems.

whats the difference between radial and conventional master cylinders? how do you bleed radial? is that the one with the little fluid reservoir on the top thats usually attached to the hose? like on the hypermotard? Would 15mm be too big? I found a few on yoyodyne but im still considering the katana one. Im just worred about having to rebuild something thats older. So many choices. Im getting all of my stuff packed the first week of oct so i only have until then to work on my bikes before i gotta leave...

It's a radial master cylinder. Many newer sport bikes have them, 06+ R6 for example have the brembo one.

I'm running the master cylinder off of a CBR (600RR) on my DRZ. It's in my build thread.

Most bikes have the same brake light switch as the DRZ, typically the ones that don't have that switch use spade terminals, and it's easy enough to put connectors on your current wiring to make it work.

the brembo master i have on my 06 has a microswitch. i didnt even know it existed until i had to change it...