Handel Bar Height

Hey guys, I am sure this topic has been already discussed but any input is much appreciated. I have a 2006 CRF 450r that fits me pretty good. I am 6'8 however so I am a bit taller than usual. I keep hearing that raising the bars will change my riding life as it is near impossible to stand while ridding. Does anyone know of a cheap way to raise the bars and know how high I should raise them? Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Find washers to put under the bar clamps and above the triple tree

Start with new bars. If your tall, and haven't switched to a bar bend better suited for your height, then you have no idea what your missing.  I don't know about bike set up at 6'8", but I'm 6'4" and have found the set up I'm comfortable with. One thing I found was that I can't stand bar risers. They move the bars up and back. Up is no problem, but the back is what kills it for me, and screws with the bikes geometry. I even tried them with after market top triples that allowed me to move the bars forward, and it still messed up the handling for me. IMO to open up the bike for tall people, moving the bars forward is as important as moving them upward. The cheapest way to do this is new bars. Chances are your bars are pretty low with a lot of sweep. Bar manufacturers have a list of their bars and their specs. I run protaper windham bend bars, renthal rc hi bars are popular among tall riders as well. I tried a couple other bars, the ones I liked the least were the pastrana fmx bars.

Start with new bars. If your tall, and haven't switched to a bar bend better suited for your height, then you have no idea what your missing.  I don't know about bike set up at 6'8", but I'm 6'4" and have found the set up I'm comfortable with. One thing I found was that I can't stand bar risers. They move the bars up and back. Up is no problem, but the back is what kills it for me, and screws with the bikes geometry. I even tried them with after market top triples that allowed me to move the bars forward, and it still messed up the handling for me. IMO to open up the bike for tall people, moving the bars forward is as important as moving them upward. The cheapest way to do this is new bars. Chances are your bars are pretty low with a lot of sweep. Bar manufacturers have a list of their bars and their specs. I run protaper windham bend bars, renthal rc hi bars are popular among tall riders as well. I tried a couple other bars, the ones I liked the least were the pastrana fmx bars.

thanks for all the info! ill have to check and see what bars I can get that have the biggest height improvement. I have been worried about the risers for the exact reason you talked about which is why I have been so hesitant to do anything. Hopefully the bars will be enough, if not I will just have to look into other options.

Unfortunately there are not many "cheap" options for us tall guys as far as bike set up goes. We will pay for suspension because we are tall and the suspension works different for us tall guys because our legs are longer. We will pay for new bars and possibly risers (which I don't like because they feel like they seperate me from the bike) because our torso is taller and arms are longer. These 2 items are a must for any bike that I have ever owned besides the new RMZ I just bought. Those bars feel really comfy or me. 

As Die_Trying said, new bars will make a world of difference. I am 6'4 as well and I prefer the Renthal Windham bend. They feel amazing as they have minimal sweep so they don't make the bike feel cramped or wide but are designed for a taller rider. 

Also lowering peg height will help a lot but you have to watch if you ride a lot of mud and deep ruts or rocks. I found them to slow me down more than they helped because they drug on everything and I was ALWAYS concerned with them catching. They were comfy though. 

Maybe look into a tall seat as well. I am not a fan because I don't sit much on the track. I prefer to hover right above the seat and the tall seat makes my butt bounce off the seat a little too much for my liking.

Edited by BDubb106

I'm 6'5" and have 06 KTM300 xcw. I run the fastway pegs on low boy position with renthal rc bend. I also use ROX 2 inch risers. The risers are not like other risers that bring them up and towards you, you can adjust them to what position you want then adjust the bars. I will tell you that this helps me stand a lot more.