Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft sprocket play.

Just put all new running gear & sliders on but have a problem with the looseness of the front drive sprocket.  Is it just the 2 screw locking pline washer thingy or something else?  i have 3 different manufacture new XR4 sprockets here & they all have way more lateral wobble movement that what iv'e ever noticed on my other bikes (even the old original 1 i took off does it too).

Any suggestions before i order a new lock washer. Does anyone else have the same movement with their XR4?

You only have a problem if the spines on the axle are heavily worn.   Wear like that is very visible.   The front sprockets feel kind of loose on the XR4, so that is normal.

I have heard about low quality, poorly fitting aftermarket front sprockets damaging the axle (countershaft) .  Something to keep in mind. 

Play when cocking the sprocket side to side on the shaft is normal, but there should be no play between sprocket and shaft when rotating.

Agree, some aftermarket fit poorly. OEM maker is Sunstar.

Thanks for the replies.  Wondered if it was normal.  The front to rear action is good on the spline, it's the wobble which seems wrong.  It was the original on there that i changed, put a Renthal on then tried a new Sunstar i have as well...both sloppy.  My other bike is dead solid in comparison. 

I managed to get a washer between the sprocket & the lock washer tonight, which seems to hold it steadier, hopefully this only helps it.

I managed to get a washer between the sprocket & the lock washer tonight, which seems to hold it steadier, hopefully this only helps it.

Wobble is normal. That washer may throw off your alignment between front and rear sprockets. That will wear your sprockets and chain out quick and may even cause it to throw the chain. I would not put anything in there that would move the front sprocket in towards the engine or away from it further than where it is normally.