Sign in to follow this  

New Air Boot Install

So I installed an 05 airboot on my 01 cr125. The bike loved the change, but I wasn't a fan of my work installing the thing. I had read that it swapped right over and bolts right up, which is true, the bolt pattern is the same, but they changed the sealing design slightly which gave me some issues installing it. My airboot had two lips on the airbox sealing portion, one that goes outside the box and one inside the box, the plastic airbox rim fit right in between and filling that crevice with silicone would make a great seal. The 05 airboot only had 1 flat lip, they used some type of plastic piece in the airbox as opposed to the metal piece in the 00-04.

I am not confident that my air boot is 100% sealed up, a little scary to think about, so I am looking for insight for anyone that has done this mod before.

Edited by dan2581

before mounting the boot to the airbox, get some Honda or Yamabond 4 and apply to the new airboot mating surface.  Install, clean up around the edges. 

Are either of those resistant to petroleum products? So something like gas or mineral spirits won't dissolve it? I used rtv silicone instant gasket and it seemed to hold fine but to my understanding it will basically melt away when exposed to petroleum products, which I sometimes like to use to clean up stuff.

Are either of those resistant to petroleum products? So something like gas or mineral spirits won't dissolve it? I used rtv silicone instant gasket and it seemed to hold fine but to my understanding it will basically melt away when exposed to petroleum products, which I sometimes like to use to clean up stuff.

I'd use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive before anything else. I used it on mine. I had to remove the boot, and it was almost impossible to seperate the box from the boot. The 3M will be fine to be exposed to the chemicals. The only real chemical it will ever see would be grease or filter oil. The mineral spirits will have to be dry before you oil the filter and reinstall it.

I'd use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive before anything else. I used it on mine. I had to remove the boot, and it was almost impossible to seperate the box from the boot. The 3M will be fine to be exposed to the chemicals. The only real chemical it will ever see would be grease or filter oil. The mineral spirits will have to be dry before you oil the filter and reinstall it.

Yes I did my homework and even 3m claims its fuel resistant. Both honda and yamabond are silicone based which scares me. I did a test dab of silicone one my first install, was already using gas to clean the old glue off, and it literally dissolved the silicone right away. So I am going to remove the box from the subframe monday, remove the boot by dissolving the silicone I have on there with gas/spirits, wipe it up real good and probably throw it in front of a fan for 24 hours so I have a nice clean surface, then reinstall the boot using the 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

Yes I did my homework and even 3m claims its fuel resistant. Both honda and yamabond are silicone based which scares me. I did a test dab of silicone one my first install, was already using gas to clean the old glue off, and it literally dissolved the silicone right away. So I am going to remove the box from the subframe monday, remove the boot by dissolving the silicone I have on there with gas/spirits, wipe it up real good and probably throw it in front of a fan for 24 hours so I have a nice clean surface, then reinstall the boot using the 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

After the gas spirits if you decide on that, give it a quick wipe down with brake cleaner. It'll dry in a sec. I just cleaned mine up real good removing g old adhesive with just spraying brake cleaner on a rag. No waiti g for anything to air dry.

Honda and yamabond products are designed to seal the case halves together.  what does that tell you?

The best product for bonding rubber to metal is 3m Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It comes in a rigid Yellow and a flexible Black. Black is best for air boxes. 

Honda makes a similar product called Honda Cemedine Weatherstrip Adhesive, but it is much more expensive.

Edited by CamP