Sign in to follow this  

Causes for holes in air filter?

I took out the air filter on my crf450r and noticed there are 3 holes going all the way through. Anybody know why this happens, and should it be replaced immediately?

I took out the air filter on my crf450r and noticed there are 3 holes going all the way through. Anybody know why this happens, and should it be replaced immediately?

people often do this just for more air!

people often do this just for more air!

Yeah I meant the sponge sorry not the netting, and thanks WR2

Accidental wrong installation a possibility ? Punched a hole in it from air frame or bolt ? Get a new one keep it lubed

Accidental wrong installation a possibility ? Punched a hole in it from air frame or bolt ? Get a new one keep it lubed

Possible, but I've never tooken the air filter out on this bike before so it happened most likely while the previous owner had it.

Possible, but I've never tooken the air filter out on this bike before so it happened most likely while the previous owner had it.

I've seen some crazy things...lol but on the other side of the coin other than chassis the bikes brand new again !props

Ya that sounds like a great idea. Replace it. Or Replace your valves much sooner than later.

I read it wrong! I thought he meant holes in the air box not air filter ! My bad

Replace it immediately, your air filter is like the heart of your motor.. gotta keep it perfect, as clean as possible.

Potential causes of your air filter issues: all I can think of is that you clean it with gasoline, deteriorates the filter and it starts to fall apart.

• Like 1

I read it wrong! I thought he meant holes in the air box not air filter ! My bad

Oh i thought maybe you thought he meant the screen on the cage....but i figured he meant the foam itself!

I have also seen that wringing it while washing it will cause it to rip as well.

Replace it immediately, your air filter is like the heart of your motor.. gotta keep it perfect, as clean as possible.

Potential causes of your air filter issues: all I can think of is that you clean it with gasoline, deteriorates the filter and it starts to fall apart.

I also agree with LovingOffroadPain.

Alright thanks for the help, I've ordered a new air filter and will not ride until I've installed it.

• Like 1

Alright thanks for the help, I've ordered a new air filter and will not ride until I've installed it.

Oil as well..I use a larges sandwich bag..put filter in dabble a few drops in roll filter inside do again the knead it in full coverage...we 40 works good if you've over oiled it....just spray a bit in same bag knead around till happy

• Like 1

run your hand all over the inside of the air box and feel for anything sharp, check the seat pan to.  I had a gas gas and the plastic seat pan had a plastic interlock that went under the sub frame to lock the seat in place so to speak. It had a sharp enough edge left over from mfg'ing that it sliced the top of the air filter. not all the way through but still bad. the location of the slice should be a tip off. 

Whenever I buy a used bike, the VERY first thing that I do is------pull out the air filter and toss it in the garbage can...don't care if the PO was immaculate, don't care if it is brand new, don't care, don't care don't care.....It is very cheap insurance to go down to the parts house and buy a new filter and know, for absolute 100%, what has EVER been done to it.