Do you always use the clutch to build up momentum?

Thing I am noticing when I race, is that I have a hard time building my momentum from a low speed, once I get it up I am ok, but if I ever have to build it up, it seems like it takes me twice as long then everybody else. but the thing is, I never shift to first, rarely do I go all the way down to first, it's risking miss shifting through Neutral, I do it a lot some reason from 2nd to 1st, but I am fine from 1st to 2nd. I got a smaller counter shaft sprocket to help, but it seems like I would have to feather my clutch a lot more than I should have to. 

I kinda wondered if my PV is a bit sticky, but I also like to ride of the bottom end a bit more. I'm thinking I need to use my clutch more than I do, I just don't want to ruin it faster than normal.

Is he using the clutch a lot to build up engine speed, which then builds up the power, but using the clutch cuts that power off, so ye.

What kind of bike are we talking about? how fresh is the motor?  Comparing jonny walker to your or I riding is apple and oranges. Speed is his middle name. Using the clutch is just the "sweet spot" where the clutch is slipping enough to make power,but is also engaging enough to pull out of the corner.

I could only watch half of that video.  Watching how fast he is makes me sick.

ye he is pretty insanely fast. I know that our riding style is different but just wondered if he did or not. I guess I was basing this off of 1 race, not the other 2, and I was doing fine in those. it was just a condition I am not use to so it made it harder to build momentum. 

I guess the question now is, is it a good, or bad habit to build up momentum with feathering the clutch 2x more than I normally do? will that really make a difference on wear, will I get better? is it a bad habit? 

Obviously the more speed you caring into the turn the less you will have to use the clutch,so focus on caring momentum through the turn so you can get out faster.

Obviously the more speed you caring into the turn the less you will have to use the clutch,so focus on caring momentum through the turn so you can get out faster.

I know, but that is not the situation I am talking about. say you hit something technical, so it slows you down, now you got a rooty hill right in front of you, and you have 10 feet to build up momentum.

I know, but that is not the situation I am talking about. say you hit something technical, so it slows you down, now you got a rooty hill right in front of you, and you have 10 feet to build up momentum.

In that type of situation I usually pull the clutch in and pin it and everything but dump the clutch if know what I'm sayin.takes practice

I run a rekluse,And it doesn't really help with what he's talking about.

It's called clutch control. It's just as important as throttle and brake control. The only way to build up momentum in those scenarios you mentioned, is to slip the clutch enough to the get rpms up so you can get more power out of the engine to accelerate faster . You should always have a finger on the clutch.

It's called clutch control. It's just as important as throttle and brake control. The only way to build up momentum in those scenarios you mentioned, is to slip the clutch enough to the get rpms up so you can get more power out of the engine to accelerate faster . You should always have a finger on the clutch.

And I do, and like I wrote in the past, it was my last race, I was riding unfamiliar stuff, so It made it hard. last 3 practice rides I haven't felt like it at all. thanks!

maybe try workin on shifting from 1st to 2nd?  or 2nd to 1st whichever you said you had trouble with..

better off staying in 2nd.