Tye

I miss him. Did he conquer mx and go on to another challenge? Neurosurgery, F1, what?

I actually sent him a question about the Ohlins shock I just bought for my KTM250 SX and he responded right away. He was really good about it too.

omg. really? are u that bored?

tye crashed and is recooping from a broken collar bone

I had an interesting crash.

First session of the day, the track was moist, some darker sections, but nothing that I'd consider muddy. I've been working on my whips because its a skill I need to learn. So I hit the rhythm section pretty hard, over jumping pretty much everything, including the 40ft double in the middle of it. Right after that double, there is a short straight, plenty of room and then a 180 degree bowl corner. I remember landing off the jump, slightly crossed up, but was full throttle, front was off the ground as a result. I was looking towards the corner, got head shake and next thing I know, I'm at the top of the bowl corner, a solid 50 feet from where I got head shake. I'm way at the top of the bowl, looking down at the lane I was just traveling down. The bike was laying in front of me on the right side, stop button was right in front of me. I had absolutely no connection with the bike, I was about 5 feet from it. I rolled onto my stomach and pulled myself over to the bike and hit the stop button, as the motor was still idling at the time.

I knew my collar bone was broken before I even spoke a word to the nearest guy who was on a YZ125... someone I've ridden with before and asked me if I was ok and of course, I said no! LOL :)

Urgent care, x rays, no big deal, clean break, though overlapped. Ortho says I'll heal up OK and if I wanna do surgery down the road, no big deal.

I'm not quite sure what happened, whether the rear was more stepped out then I thought. Perhaps my lowered front end just put too much weight on it after I landed so hard off the jump. There was a pot hole, perhaps after the head shake, I was kicked off the bike from the rear end? I'm a bit confused on precisely what happened, but the kid on the YZ knows and I'm gonna get in communication with him soon to figure it out.

I've been healthy all year, shits bound to happen when you ride as much as I do, heck we do fly motorcycles ya know! heh

I'm in good spirits, happy I'm letting it heal naturally and most of all, happy I'm not injured in any other way. I've spent a great deal of time at the track since, helping my friends and working on bikes (shhh don't let the doctors know) because you can't keep me away! :)

I miss him. Did he conquer mx and go on to another challenge? Neurosurgery, F1, what?

Armchair Pro now!

Sounds like a nasty get off

Broken collarbones  cause a lot of irritating pain, sorry to hear about that. And the post was classic Tye. I'm ok now! ;)

Plate that thing if you ever want it to sit right.

I don't know a single person who let a full broken collarbone go un-plated and not regretted it.

You're not the only person who has said this and there is quite a divide in opinion.

Truth be told, up until the last 15 years or so, surgery was never performed for this type of break. It was a simple sling or figure 8 brace and left to heal. However, surgery has become a much easier process, anesthesia delivery is better and post-op pain, has been reduced substantially. So most people now recommend surgery in most collar bone injuries where the bones are displaced, especially if shattered. However, the side effects can be huge and having had my left hand completely re-constructed, I've been through the process and I won't do it electively again. This time around, I'm gonna let my body do the work and if it fails, then I will be forced to do surgery.

My chiropractor and I spent the first few days after the accident, pulling the two bones apart very slowly and getting them stuck in the position for proper posture, taking multiple x-rays and verifying it was working. This is critical to proper healing and most people don't take this very necessary step. I use something called KT tape and bandage the whole area, so its putting pressure on the joint. I created a very kool system of taping and using foam sports wrap to hold the two bones in place much more ridged then any other immobilization I've seen. For the first 2 weeks, I used three immobilization devices; a sling; which keeps the arm from extending and rests the wrist, a figure 8 brace of my own design which pulls up on the shoulder and then the KT tape. Now I'm down to just the KT tape and the healing has been spot-on textbook. I'm 6 weeks in and its almost fully healed, x rays look fantastic.

Some of the critical things for me, like being able to lift things over my head, I've already tested and so far its fine. My shoulders look identical, I've measured the height of both shoulders and they are identical as well. The only side effect so far is a click coming from my shoulder when I raise and lower my arm. Its for sure related to the shortening of the shoulder and all of my doctors say it will go away once I'm able to use it. So I mean, if there are no major side effects, I'm not gonna take the chance at surgery, its too risky!

Thanks as always for the advice, its much appreciated and I look forward to bringing you guys updates in the future. ;)

I don't know a single person who let a full broken collarbone go un-plated and not regretted it.

I have heard the same.

only time you may want to leave it alone is if you are very young.

surgery leads to a quicker recovery when it comes to collar bones.

Can you teach me how to suspension.

Can you teach me how to suspension.

Only if you will show us the other end! Think about it. ;)

Edited by YHGEORGE

Mine broke and crossed over when I crashed hard. Plating was the only thing with could be done. 4 months later it was OK with the plating.

Edited by arnego2
:)

Done it both with and without plating and it worked out better just letting it heal. Against doc's wishes of course.

Wished that mine would have been plated years ago, it was left to heal naturally with just a sling for support.

I have a rather big lump on my left shoulder and the ac sticks out the back.

I have full movement and mild discomfort, I get pins and needles in left arm sometimes

The docs have offered to break it again but with chance I will lose some movement.

Not worth it now!

Shit happens

Wished that mine would have been plated years ago, it was left to heal naturally with just a sling for support.

I have a rather big lump on my left shoulder and the ac sticks out the back.

I have full movement and mild discomfort, I get pins and needles in left arm sometimes

The docs have offered to break it again but with chance I will lose some movement.

Not worth it now!

Shit happens

Yep, its a hard decision. Both directions have their ups and down's. Most of my friends who have done surgery are back on their bikes quicker, though still have the same pain and discomfort as those who let it heal naturally.

As I like to say, the grass is always greener on the other side! heh ;)

Yep, its a hard decision. Both directions have their ups and down's. Most of my friends who have done surgery are back on their bikes quicker, though still have the same pain and discomfort as those who let it heal naturally.

As I like to say, the grass is always greener on the other side! heh ;)

Yep your damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Good luck with it tho and hope your back on a bike soon!

Cheers

Yep your damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Good luck with it tho and hope your back on a bike soon!

Cheers

Yeppers, thanks mate.

Yea, Xrays today look awesome. Bones are aligned perfectly and touching with lots of growth. I can finally sigh in relief because I've honestly been semi scared about the situation, but things are looking great! :)