Sign in to follow this  

AC separation and Leatt Question

I'm sorry if this is not not new, but I searched and got nowhere. I have a stage 3 AC separation of my right shoulder from 18 years ago (no surgery, works perfect) and I just got the same in my left shoulder Sunday (not electing surgery and again hoping for perfect....). Well, tuesday was my birthday and my gf got me a Leatt brace. Thoughtful gift for sure, nothing says I love you like please don't break your neck. So, questions of whether they cause or prevent injuries aside, will I ever get this thing to fit over my collarbones, which now both stick up well over an inch at the shoulder? It doesn't feel like it, and given the cost I'd rather ask her to return it and just take me out to dinner than try it for a month an then toss it in the bottom of my gear bag.

Thanks, Nat 

Hey!

I have an AC 3 from 24 years ago on my left shoulder.  No surgery, no way.  I was told to PT instead of surgery and just make it a part of my life.  So far this has worked well and gets me into the gym for other obvious benefits.  I just got a Leatt, I haven't ridden off-road yet but I did do a ride across town for beer and around my neighborhood without issues.  I also did a couple yard tumbles to check it and it was fine.  When I MTB, I have to careful about how I ride and how my pack fits because it can get pretty painful a couple hours into a long one if my strap is too snug on my left side....anyway, spend some time adjusting it with your chest protector and maybe one of those padded under shirts?  You also might be able to configure a doughnut style of pad to give those 2 new love handles some relief from any downward pressure.  After a couple hours of adjusting, I got mine working well or at least I hope.  Going out this weekend for a real test.  Good luck and I'd say giv'r a go for now and if it doesn't work, re-sale is pretty good for a Leatt eh?!

• Like 1

Good luck with the real trial, let me know how i goes for sure. I'm definitely with you on the no surgery, my 18 y/o one honestly is nothing more than a party trick. Otherwise it is 100% normal just through keeping muscles in decent shape. 

• Like 1

Good luck with the real trial, let me know how i goes for sure. I'm definitely with you on the no surgery, my 18 y/o one honestly is nothing more than a party trick. Otherwise it is 100% normal just through keeping muscles in decent shape. 

Ha!  Party trick for sure!

I rode about 2 hours of moto/singletrack on Saturday and and 3.5-4 hrs on Sunday on techy singlestrack, rocky steep climbs and general jeep roads in the N. Rockies and I hardly noticed the brace.  It was a little tight on my sternum so I need to swap out the chips to get a little more outward angle on the thoracic strut.  Otherwise, I won't ride without it.  I don't motocross but I do look about when trail riding and the brace was never limiting and it is still easy to drink from the hose.  The Leatt chest protector and brace integration also didn't put any weird downward pressure on my clavicle, even with my camelback mule gig on.  The BraceOn tech that is featured on their chest protectors in part is responsible for this.   I am pretty conscious about what goes on my shoulders, as I am sure you are too, and the system works great me.  Good luck and dig!  

Thanks for update MTmoto, sounds like a great weekend all around, and good to hear that the Leatt did not seem to interfere with your collarbone. My new separation is starting to feel a little better now and the swelling is almost gone, so I think I may put on the brace and at least try it with what little amount of stretching and movement I can do.  Probably another week to 2 weeks out before I will be able to get on the bike again and give it a real try. Thanks, Nat