Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating alternatives

So, I'm looking at powdercoating prices. And my god, its going to be upwards of like $300 for both wheels, the frame, swingarm, and hubs! MAN that's pricey. Well Ive got a paint sprayer, and I've been reading the reviews of Valspar Tractor/Implement paint. So I bought a quart and painted my frame guards, and they look nice...but they didn't hold up. Nor did any paint, my boots beat on those things.

Does anyone have any good (and cheaper) alternatives to powdercoating that will produce the same results?

cheap and good does not go together in the paint world. spend the money now, or you will end up spending more for paints, then figuring out the only good way is P/c or anodizing it.

• Like 1

Figured as much. Blast, foiled again!

So, lets say I want my rims, hubs, swingarm, and frame done. After looking at a parts list on line, my total runs up to over $300. Probably a couple bucks over, I stopped counting once I hit $295.

Is this reasonable or just plain high? What'd you all pay?

depending on where your getting it done (local vs online service) that seems like a decent rate. I get mine done locally and its a little cheaper, but not much. Especially once you figure in shipping. it also depends on the color. Some are more expensive then others. I normally pic what the local guy has in stock, so I don't have to pay for the paint seperate.

I used rust oleum industrial rattle can on my frame, been on there one year now, still looks good. It does wear off where my boots rub, but powder coat will wear off also, I put low friction grip tape over high wear areas.

I use duplicolor!

Rattle can metallic paint.

Its easy to match and turns out great for the bike.

Its the cheapest way to keep it looking fresh.

My bikes are fully torn down in winter. Everything is checked and if needed replaced then. Power washed frame sand & paint. Reassemble & good till next winter!

What else you going to do when snowed in? No speed channel no more!

Might as well put bike in living room and teardown while watching duck dynasty! Lmbo

Edited by ridngslikecrack

I use duplicolor!

Rattle can metallic paint.

Its easy to match and turns out great for the bike.

Its the cheapest way to keep it looking fresh.

My bikes are fully torn down in winter. Everything is checked and if needed replaced then. Power washed frame sand & paint. Reassemble & good till next winter!

What else you going to do when snowed in? No speed channel no more!

Might as well put bike in living room and teardown while watching duck dynasty! Lmbo

How well does it hold up? I used spray paint just to cover the rust spots on my frame for 2 or so seasons, til I could afford to do it right. Will it hold up to, say, a tire iron when I put the new tire on? If I were to slip and hit it? Maybe if a rock were to tap the frame coming off the front wheel?

Part of the trick to painting any bike (or car) parts is the preparation.  I've sand blasted my engine covers and painted with VHT engine enamel and NO primer.  It holds up well.   I've never tried it on rims.  

The sand blasting leaves a perfect surface texture for paint adhesion and also oxidation.  You've got to blast and then paint right away.  

• Like 1

rattle can wont hold up on rims. it will crack and then chip. paint (with exeptions) does not like to flex.  powder coat on the other hand has alot more give to it. Anodizing would be the best bet for rims. as it penetrates deep into the metal, flexes all you want and is pretty hard to put scratches into.

rattle can wont hold up on rims. it will crack and then chip. paint (with exeptions) does not like to flex. powder coat on the other hand has alot more give to it. Anodizing would be the best bet for rims. as it penetrates deep into the metal, flexes all you want and is pretty hard to put scratches into.

The rims are already rattlecanned, heh, they have been for quite some time...

• Like 1

Paint will hold up.... For a couple rides, then it will look like crap.

Either pony up for powder coating/anodizing, or don't do anything.

They'll rub off also. Anything will. I'd suggest some LightSpeed frame guards.

I paint my frames so when the time comes I can touch them up. Use Etch Primer and prep the frame etc properly.

If you want the Rims done Anno for sure but chances are you can find new rims for around what it will cost you.

Edited by AddictedToBling

They'll rub off also. Anything will. I'd suggest some LightSpeed frame guards.

I paint my frames so when the time comes I can touch them up. Use Etch Primer and prep the frame etc properly.

If you want the Rims done Anno for sure but chances are you can find new rims for around what it will cost you.

So I've decided rather than buy my new tires, spokes, and rip the bike apart all at once, im going to start eating away at buying the parts now. Which I already have. Then, wintertime comes, and the powdercoating will just seem like buying another part. Another... $300 part.

So I've decided rather than buy my new tires, spokes, and rip the bike apart all at once, im going to start eating away at buying the parts now. Which I already have. Then, wintertime comes, and the powdercoating will just seem like buying another part. Another... $300 part.

If it makes you feel any better It'd cost a lot more to get done here :rolleyes: .

My Wheels of choice cost me over $1,850.00 per set here :jawdrop: . You lot have it pretty good over there  :thumbsup: .

I hop

If it makes you feel any better It'd cost a lot more to get done here :rolleyes: .

My Wheels of choice cost me over $1,850.00 per set here :jawdrop: . You lot have it pretty good over there  :thumbsup: .

I hope they lubed your cornhole real well before they jack hammered you that hard

I hop

I hope they lubed your cornhole real well before they jack hammered you that hard

Heeeeeell no, that's one shops online price list. There's like 8 others in the vinicity of me. Ill call around sooner or later and get some numbers.