Sign in to follow this  

sea level jetting in Texas

Hey guys, got the carb apart right now. I would like advice from the expert tuners. I have a JD jet kit .

Here's what I got:

stock engine

3x3 air box (just did)

mrd ssw is ordered so I'm waiting (want to jet for it now)

stock fuel screw

0-1100 ft elevation

pretty warm down here most the time

I'm in Dallas at about 500 ft.

I put the JD kit in, and did the 3 x 3 mod at the beginning of summer.

Followed the instructions verbatim, including the hot/Humid suggestion of the red needle on the 3rd clip position.

So that's the 155 main and 25 pilot. Idle screw out 2 1/2 turns.

Stock exhaust, Twin Air cleaner.

Bike runs great.

If anything, it might be a touch rich.

(BTW, I am by no stretch of the imagination an 'expert tuner'.)

Ok thanks, search seems to yield most everyone doing blue on 3rd clip....think I might need more with the open pipe. Dealing with the little bowl screws right now....

Yeah, I ran the blue needle first, then tried the red needle after I returned from a Colorado 8000-12000+ trip (which the instructions steered me right also).

Red seems a bit richer. I will prolly switch back now that the temps will be dropping.

Hope they included the float bowl hex screws in your kit. They make life so much easier.

Yeah, I ran the blue needle first, then tried the red needle after I returned from a Colorado 8000-12000+ trip (which the instructions steered me right also).

Red seems a bit richer. I will prolly switch back now that the temps will be dropping.

Hope they included the float bowl hex screws in your kit. They make life so much easier.

Yup, got them out already with the vise grips...I'm thinking 160 and 25 pilot, craigo has suggested 4th clip blue for some. Ill wait till I know for sure b4 putting it back on.

Can someone please confirm?

160 main

blue at 3 or 4 ?

25 pilot

stock idle screw = 2.75 turns out?

I have a Dynojet kit in mine but 155 is a tad rich (current) and a 150 was fine. I have the 3x3 and full stock E exhaust. I'm leaving it as is in case I get a full aftermarket exhaust.

with 0 elevation and ethanol -- might want a larger pilot - imo.  can't believe that are not in the kit!!!

You should be fine following the JD kit instructions. I would suggest Blue needle 3rd clip. 25paj, 155-160mj. The 160 may be a bit rich at that level. When you get a chance you should get a new extended fuel screw which will help with fine tuning a lot easier. The 2.75 turns out with the stock f/s is about a stock setting. You will have to fine tune the f/s and idle for max vacuum to get the best out of the set up. Will you be using the MRD without a Quiet Core and Spark Arrestor??? IF open may be fine with the 160mj. Note. The open MRD is hella loud...

Well I ended up setting it at 4th position because that looked like the most recommended according to search. I guess ill try the mrd open at first and see what happens. I have one plastic and the seat to put back on so i hope I don't need to pull it apart right away and switch jetting!

Was just gonna post back with 250+ miles on mrd and rejet and it seems spot on. Of course its a little cooler here now so hot tests will have to wait till next summer but doesn't seem too rich at all. Mileage is about the same 50+ to a gallon maybe a tad less if my hand is twisted back everywhere. Front wheel definitely comes off ground easier. Pipe noise doesn't really bother me but it does start to scramble my eggs a bit on long pavement runs. Anyways what's working for me is as posted above:

Mrd/ssw open

3x3

160 main

Blue on the 4th clip

25 pilot with stock screw 2.75 turns out.

Runs great.

• Like 1

Was just gonna post back with 250+ miles on mrd and rejet and it seems spot on. Of course its a little cooler here now so hot tests will have to wait till next summer but doesn't seem too rich at all. Mileage is about the same 50+ to a gallon maybe a tad less if my hand is twisted back everywhere. Front wheel definitely comes off ground easier. Pipe noise doesn't really bother me but it does start to scramble my eggs a bit on long pavement runs. Anyways what's working for me is as posted above:

Mrd/ssw open

3x3

160 main

Blue on the 4th clip

Runs great.

Jetting looks good.. :thumbsup: ..So when is the Fcrmx conversion kit coming.. :devil: .LOL

Mrd/ssw open

3x3

160 main

Blue on the 4th clip

Runs great.

Thats a common set up around here, so with good reason it is working for you. Congrats,, enjoy the colder and wet weather we have today...

Remember, every bike is different in it's jetting needs. 

So if you get interested in trying to fine tune the jetting, don't be surprised if if 155 and clip 3 works better, or clip 4.5 using a thin needle ship. or, or, or. 

Instruction or remote internet jetting gets a rider close.. and Im sure sometimes they end up being the best setup... but you'll never know if your leaving something on the workbench, unless you try other set ups. 

The only way to accurately check to see whether you have nailed it, is to run it with an air/fuel analyser, either in combo with a dyno or fitted to your exhaust as an add on..

The Butt :moon:  dyno is a good general indicator, but not always spot on due to the human factor... :confused:  :D