Sign in to follow this  

mcct question

So i installed a TT mcct in my 13 Sm about a thousand miles ago. When i did the install i followed the instructions included in the kit as they seemed to make sense on the adjustment procedure. Fast forward a thousand miles and i started to hear a slight wine when i would free rev the bike.So i turned to the FAQ and adjusted it using the rock in a can method. Wine is now gone so i concluded that the chain was over tightened. I only turned the adjuster out 1.5 to 2 turns to get where I am now.

My Question is did i hurt the chain? Im just concerned that i may have stretched the timing chain and that would be no good at all as the bike only has 3600 miles on it now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!  

So i installed a TT mcct in my 13 Sm about a thousand miles ago. When i did the install i followed the instructions included in the kit as they seemed to make sense on the adjustment procedure. Fast forward a thousand miles and i started to hear a slight wine when i would free rev the bike.So i turned to the FAQ and adjusted it using the rock in a can method. Wine is now gone so i concluded that the chain was over tightened. I only turned the adjuster out 1.5 to 2 turns to get where I am now.

My Question is did i hurt the chain? Im just concerned that i may have stretched the timing chain and that would be no good at all as the bike only has 3600 miles on it now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!  

the mcct puts pressure on the cam chain the whole time its in there. i doubt you stretched it out that much...

The only time it's a problem is when there's no threads left in your MCCT. I ran mine overly tight for a while before I realized it. (Was paranoid and constantly adjusted it) and now the chain has slightly stretched.  As long as your chain has life left in it, you'll be fine. 

The only time it's a problem is when there's no threads left in your MCCT. I ran mine overly tight for a while before I realized it. (Was paranoid and constantly adjusted it) and now the chain has slightly stretched. As long as your chain has life left in it, you'll be fine.

No the tensioner was no where close to being bottomed out. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

This is exactly the reason I recommend people stay away from the MCCT.

Well, that isn't exactly a good reason not to install it.  If you're mechanically inept then you can do damage doing anything on the bike.... for example the loctite fixes, very highly recommended, not difficult, but I can see how an inexperienced "mechanic" might f'it up!

• Like 1

This is exactly the reason I recommend people stay away from the MCCT.

And your reasoning is exactly why some riders should not own tools.

So long as they recognize and do the right thing all is fine.

But to suggest folks not use a simple to install, advantageous part on their bike, because there are people so inept as to put diesel in a gas car, gas in a diesel truck break cam cap bolts using a 1/2" drive TQ wrench with a 3/8" drive adapter for a fastener that only needs to be tightened a few inch lb, and a million other things in the motive world screwed up daily though mistakes or ineptitude  is just nonsense in my opinion. 

• Like 1

How much time did the install take? How much of the bike is actually dismantled?

20 minutes. Pretty much just loosen the oil collection box, not much else is dismantled, unless you count the engine plugs to set the bike to TDC.

Edited by Brandon B

20 minutes. Pretty much just loosen the oil collection box, not much else is dismantled, unless you could the engine plugs to set the bike to TDC.

20 minutes is great , but I thought that going with TDC had to be done?  I would hate to blow up my bike by not going to TDC on the motor.

20 minutes is great , but I thought that going with TDC had to be done? I would hate to blow up my bike by not going to TDC on the motor.

What I meant to say was, if you count removing the plugs to set the motor to TDC as dismantling. To make it easier to set, you can remove the spark plug, which obviously requires the seat and tank to be pulled.

What I meant to say was, if you count removing the plugs to set the motor to TDC as dismantling. To make it easier to set, you can remove the spark plug, which obviously requires the seat and tank to be pulled.

Alright, so when I pull the plug, as long as the piston is as high in the cylinder as possible, I'm good with TDC?  

Alright, so when I pull the plug, as long as the piston is as high in the cylinder as possible, I'm good with TDC?  

Your best bet is to remove the spark plug, then remove the valve cover and confirm that you're at TDC on the compression stroke.  There is also a sight window where you can confirm that the flywheel timing index line is centered.  The valves should point at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.  See the FAQ for further information.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

Your best bet is to remove the spark plug, then remove the valve cover and confirm that you're at TDC on the compression stroke.  There is also a sight window where you can confirm that the flywheel timing index line is centered.  The valves should point at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.  See the FAQ for further information.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/552694-mcct-install-guide-and-why-one-is-recommended/

A slightly better interpretation of "best bet", is to install the MCCT during a valve check and/or adjustment job.  In fact, I would never do otherwise, personally, myself.  Just sayin'  .  .  .  . 

A slightly better interpretation of "best bet", is to install the MCCT during a valve check and/or adjustment job.  In fact, I would never do otherwise, personally, myself.  Just sayin'  .  .  .  .

There's very little work to remove the spark plug and valve cover.  The MCCT install is only a 30 to 60 minute job.  Since you remove the valve cover, right before an oil change would be a great time for the install.  I'd say most people check valves once or twice a year, or at least at the end of a riding season.  If I had a MCCT in my hand, I personally would install it before it was time to check my valves.

• Like 1