Sign in to follow this  

Bike upgrade

Hey guys. Looking to upgrade from my klx 125. Just want something with a little more power. I ride mostly trail and was looking at some of the newer 4 strokes kx 250f maybe. Never ridden a mx four stroke. Was just hoping for some info on a good choice. I'm a small chick, so anything over 250 gets a little heavy.

I don't know how small you are but any four stroke 250mx bike might be too much bike for you.

I don't know if you have ever been on a two stroke but a kx100 would be another option.  It would have ALOT more power then your current bike and would also be good for smaller riders.

I'm about 5'4 128lbs. I ride my boyfriends 96 xr 250 and Its a little heavy. It gets exhausting after a bit. Never been a big two stroke fan, although they are nice and light. I rode my buddy's cr125 and it had plenty of power, but it seemed like it was top end or nothing

I'm about 5'4 128lbs. I ride my boyfriends 96 xr 250 and Its a little heavy. It gets exhausting after a bit. Never been a big two stroke fan, although they are nice and light. I rode my buddy's cr125 and it had plenty of power, but it seemed like it was top end or nothing

• Like 1

What about the crf 230 or ttr230? It's similar in weight to the xr 250 but a lower seat height. It would probably be easier for you to manage. It would also have a fair bit more power then your 125.

i'm assuming the reason you don't like 2 strokes is because it's top end or nothing but if you were to get an enduro 2 stroke they typically tend to have power all the way through,and if you say you do all or mostly trail riding it may be more ideal, I just bought a kdx 220r and sure the weight and size are hard to get used to I still love it, due to the seat height on it though it may not be the best idea for you though, have you ever considered older bikes? I've heard the it 175s were great bikes if you're not one of those everything has to be latest model type of people, but if you really want a 4 stroke for the trails maybe look into some wr250s or some of ktm's  enduro bikes xc, xc-w and exc 250s.

As far as ktms go, what's the difference btwn the xcf and the xcf-w? I've looked at a few 200 & 250 xcf and I was shocked at how light and small they were. But with a big price tag :(

The XCF has a close-ratio 6spd trans.... The XC-W has a wide-ratio trans. The forks on the XCW are also open cartridge vs CC on the XCF. You probably wouldn't notice a difference in either of those....

That being said you can find nice 08-10s 250XCFs under $4k

Nice! I don't need the newest greatest thing, just something I can manage that will lug and cruise around but will also get psycho if I want it to :)

Ok so definitely going to check out ktm sometime this weekend. Gonna look at the 250 xcf-w and the 200 xc-w. Never been a big smoker fan, but from what I hear about the 200 xc-w I gotta give it a chance. Think it might be the winner. Thanks for all the info guys. Any extra info is much appreciated

What city are you in? It's raining in the center of california right now and i'll be riding dust free sunday.

I'm in fresno. Maybe someone closer can let you ride their 200. The ktm 200 even makes my kdx 200 feel big and heavy.

Mxc is the close ratio gear box. Great for trail riding. I have a 2002 mxc300 also