NEW DRZ400SM

Just got a new 2013.  I have about 100 miles on it.  I noticed the engine does not idle down properly all the time when the throttle is closed.  It hovers a few hundred RPM above idle for about 20 or 30 seconds and then idles down.  Sometime it does not idle down at all.  Just incase the dealer put shitty gas in it I have been topping it up with Shell 91.  Any idea what it could be?  Shitty gas?  Not enough freeplay on the throttle, sticky carburator, etc.  Any input is approciated. 

Could be the throttle cables don't have enough slack, aren't routed properly (binding) and/or aren't lubed.  Another possibility is the pilot jetting is lean, which will cause the idle to "hang".

*PS* if your located in the US, then all you need to run is 87 octane in a S or SM (obviously choosing a station with quality fuel and large turnaround).

Just got a new 2013.  I have about 100 miles on it.  I noticed the engine does not idle down properly all the time when the throttle is closed.  It hovers a few hundred RPM above idle for about 20 or 30 seconds and then idles down.  Sometime it does not idle down at all.  Just incase the dealer put shitty gas in it I have been topping it up with Shell 91.  Any idea what it could be?  Shitty gas?  Not enough freeplay on the throttle, sticky carburator, etc.  Any input is approciated. 

Turn the idle down.

I have a 2012 SM and have had it from new, my bike does the same thing, i have noticed that the problem of hanging idle is going away with time, not sure how its going away but it is,

on a 30km ride to work in the first few days it would do it at least 10 times at lights on the way,  now it may only do it 1 to 2 times and sometimes not at all,

The bike has been a dream to own and if this is the only problem from new then im happy, cant say the same for the ktm Duke 200 that i had b4 this, that bike was a head &%$#@!%.

ps. in Aus i run highest octane fuel thats avalible at the station at the time of fill up,,

Had the same problem with my bike, as well as surging when holding a constant throttle. It was all rectified when I fitted the jet/needle kit. It made a big performance gain as well, with greatly increased top speed. Later I fitted the FCR and found a good performance gain, but reduced fuel economy was the trade off (of course). So I recommend fitting the Jet kit to solve your problem.

Regards from Burma, where I wish I had my bike...