Sign in to follow this  

NEW TO KTM! ROTELLA OR NOT? HELP PLEASE

Hey just bought my first KTM ( my first dirt bike of any kind actually ) and i was wondering about what kind of oil to use.  There are alot of threads on here but no one specifically mentions my bike.  I have a 2009 250 sxf and i was wondering if its goood to use the rotella oil.  ANd if so should i use regular or synthetic?? 

Thanks

I've used Rotella T6 5W/40 synthetic oil (JASO MA rated) in my '08 HTR 350 XCF-W for the last 8,125 miles and 400 hrs with zero problems.  I just had Bill Thomas at HTRacing refresh the engine for the first time!!  The piston and cylinder were still in perfect condition and with proper clearances.  The piston rings had opened up to a 0.022" gap.  The valve clearances were still in tolerance.  The intake valves were still in perfect condition and the exhaust valves were still OK, but since they were lightly pitted they were replaced with Kibblewhite SS valves.

Full synthetic, I also run a 10W40 instead of the recommended 10W50. Mostly because its hard to find the 10W50 around here, most of them are 15W50 or 20W50 and I don't like the extra additives in those thicker oils.

Rotella is good stuff, if it was easier to find around here, I'd run it as well. I've been using Motul 300V since day one on all my motorcycles, with much success.

Full synthetic, I also run a 10W40 instead of the recommended 10W50. Mostly because its hard to find the 10W50 around here, most of them are 15W50 or 20W50 and I don't like the extra additives in those thicker oils.

Rotella is good stuff, if it was easier to find around here, I'd run it as well. I've been using Motul 300V since day one on all my motorcycles, with much success.

Personally I wouldn't use it, but Tye you can get it at walmart.com lol. They'll deliver it right to your door. Or you could walk into one of their dirty, dumpy stores and pick it up.

Ya dude you can run rotella in the 08 and 10 models but the 09 requires motorex brand oil.

ROFL!!!! Yea, I don't think so. Nothing "requires" a certain manufacturers oil. Motorex is a blending company anyway, so they use other companies oil to make their own concoction.

Personally I wouldn't use it, but Tye you can get it at walmart.com lol. They'll deliver it right to your door. Or you could walk into one of their dirty, dumpy stores and pick it up.

Yep, for sure I can order anything online. But I prefer buying locally, it keeps my local businesses in business. Besides, I do prefer the Motul 300V, it is a superior oil in many ways to most others on the market.

I go to the local truck stop and buy it in 5g pales....

Doesn'y really matter what brand. What DOES matter is running the recommended oil viscosity and it sure isn't 5W-40 or 15W40.

A good rule of thumb is that the cheaper the oil, the more often you can change it.  That Rotella is pretty inexpensive with a good reputation. I have heard that both the T6 and the non-synth one can shear pretty quickly in a dirtbike, so Change it often.  You should be fine.

I've used the infamous "Rotella" for about 4 years now of racing and riding in both dirtbikes and street bikes. Since I've had my 12' 350, I broke it in with regular dyno oil and did a few oil changes with motul and the past 10 with motorex. I have a Rekluse EXP and wasa changing the oil every other ride until I noticed the oil coming out still golden... This past oil change had 3 races and 1 ride on it and it still came out looking good.. Pretty good IMHO..