Sign in to follow this  

Best kit for woods riding

Hey everyone. I have really been doing a ton of woods riding and I was wondering what are the essentials I need on the trail incase I break down. Are there certain tools or goodies I should have? What are the common things that usually break? Thanks

Since I started maintaining my bike every ride, combing over it for over an hour to make sure nothing is wrong.. every ride.. I have never had problems on the trail.  The KTM tool pack that comes with the bike when you buy it new comes with this, it's a pretty complete:

• Pliers/wire cutter combo
  • 27 mm /spark plug wrench combo
  • 6, 8, 10, 13 mm sockets
  • 5 mm alen wrench
  • Zip ties
  • Motion Pro screwdriver combo philips/flat tips
  • Mini tire irons
  • CO2 cans/can pump
  • Electrical tape
  • 21" tube (can be used for front or rear flat)
  • Any torx heads for your bike

This is what I carry on long adventure rides when we're miles from the truck, but the only thing I've ever needed was the equipment to change a tube.  Honestly, other guys have needed my tools a bunch of times so I like to help when I can.

• Like 3

Only thing I'm adding is a small roll of "gorilla tape" instead of the electrical tape (much more durable, find it at your local hardware store) and some spare bolts/nuts and a spare spark plug just in case.

Now a survival pack is a whole other question......consult the "Survivorman" book, good read if you like to live!

• Like 1

I usually carry a Tylenol bottle with bolts and nuts etc. Then I rap the tape around the bottle build it up pretty good, usually approximately two feet of tape.

I also coil up some mechanic wire inside the bottle as well.

I've found a pill bottle is a good way to keep a spark plug from breaking, put plug in and a tissue or a paper towel.

Extra master link may come in handy. If you need a cool way to hold some of the small stuff, I learned from a friend, to use a piece of PVC pipe glue a cap on end and then tape other end on, obviously after you installed small parts. It can be clamped on sub frame or under seat. If you have room. We even zip tied one to front number plate. We used a 1 5/8" pipe he carried a rain jacket in his rolled up. I used to carry my extra kick starter in mine and gear shifter.

Installed behind headlight in front of bars.

This I did after I lost both my gear shifter and kick starter in same enduro. Nothing sucks worse than coming out of water and the bike dies going up hill. you can't start it with out laying it down and spinning the wheel in gear. Lol unless you go back into the water. Oh and carry blue loctite.

• Like 1

i usually wear a backpack riding, and i bring a small set of metric allen keys, pliers, 8,10,12,13mm wrenches, a small crecent wrench, elec tape, zap straps, a screw driver with phillips and a flathead bit, a spark plug, and water.

to this day i,ve never had to fix anything on my bike on the trail, but i have fixed other peoples bikes several times.

pre trip maintenance is the best tool in the box

• Like 1

One piece of advice I have always found very useful for packing moto stuff is to try and make sure everything you pack can do at least 2 things.

The tube is a perfect example, a 21" tube will fix front or rear

A screwdriver with multiple tips and an adaptor to fit some small sockets

Zip ties, enough said

I roll all my tools up in a rag and strap it together with a Voile Ski Strap (if you havn't seen these, they are a MUST own), I can throw the kit in my backpack or strap it onto a fender. I pretty much always ride with a pack with water bladder, tool kit and a sammich or snacks

• Like 1

i usually wear a backpack riding, and i bring a small set of metric allen keys, pliers, 8,10,12,13mm wrenches, a small crecent wrench, elec tape, zap straps, a screw driver with phillips and a flathead bit, a spark plug, and water.

to this day i,ve never had to fix anything on my bike on the trail, but i have fixed other peoples bikes several times.

pre trip maintenance is the best tool in the box

You said it best, "pre trip maintenance" is the key.  I suppose it depends on the actual riding one is doing and for how long, but I've never had the  need to carry any tools what so ever on my rides.  Then again, my rides are no more than two hours depending on gas consumption.  I rode with a tool pack on my IT490 for years and to be  honest, probably used the spark plug wrench once.  Having those tool flopping around back there was always a pain the in the ass.  But I'm not saying they're not essential, just bothersome.  Here's a crazy idea if someone finds an actual picture of it, picture this, a dirtbike rider on a trail, pulling a small tool box cart behind him.  This guy is taking 20 foot jumps and the box is rolling in line right behind him.  The guy takes a berm and notices the tool box is now in front of him.  What the! :goofy:

• Like 1

Really cool item I now pack is tiny electric tire pump that I splice a lead on the end that plugs right in to my trickle charger ponytail on my bike. no more hand pumping with a bicycle pump! it has enough pressure to seat the bead ( eventually lol ) and in in a super small package/pouch.  Takes up about as much room as the old hand pump, only square.  Available at wallyworld :jawdrop:

Joe

DSCN0897.jpg

Here's what I could see someone towing behind a bike, they do come with a hitch.

But would be tuff on hillsides. Kawi green, Honda red.

They even have Yamaha blue, and KTM orange.

and a spare spark plug just in case

Honestly is a spare plug necessary anymore?? My dad used to foul the plug on his 250R ATC three wheeler bc he had to go so slow for all 4 of his little kids.. but in my adult life I've only seen one guy foul a plug, and that's bc he was on an old POS bike that wasn't jetted right.

Were they more necessary back in the day?? I replace my spark plug only when I do a top end every 125 hrs

Honestly is a spare plug necessary anymore?? My dad used to foul the plug on his 250R ATC three wheeler bc he had to go so slow for all 4 of his little kids.. but in my adult life I've only seen one guy foul a plug, and that's bc he was on an old POS bike that wasn't jetted right.

Were they more necessary back in the day?? I replace my spark plug only when I do a top end every 125 hrs

True true. My dad rode a 250r also, me a 200x. You can tell by the large scar on my side from the footpeg! Dad bought a boat after that little incident at Pismo! The plug is more like a fail safe I suppose, it's so light I hardly even notice it!

I suppose a tool kit is just something else to carry around. Ill slap a couple thing in the camelbak and call it a day... I did see a guy on the trail dump his kawi in the crik and need the spark plug pulled to pump the water from the engine. where I ride water crossing are somewhat common. Thanks again everyone!