24" wheels and dirt roads

Hey guys/gals,

My wife inherited a truck from her step dad who passed away 4-5 months ago. They were pretty close so it was pretty hard on her. Anyways, the truck is a Lincoln Mark LT, and the truck is replacing our main vehicle for hauling the bikes to and from the trails, which was a hyundai santa fe and a 4 x 8 trailer, both of which we are getting rid of.

He invested quite a bit of money in the truck. Aftermarket stereo, exhaust, performance chip....quite a few things. One of which was 24" wheels with barely any sidewall (IMO, UGLY). 

My big issue are these wheels. Not only do we take the truck for short distances off road to unload, but we plan on doing some road trips in the next coming year. The tires on these are not in the best condition, and a new set is $1400+  :jawdrop:

Now, oddly enough he left a 17" wheel in the back of the truck, with a nice, big tire on it. I looked up prices for another 3 and a set of tires for all 4, its gonna be in the $900 range. 

Sounds great right? Now here's the problem I am having, the wife. 

She doesn't want to change anything in the truck, at all. She either says its going to look goofy, its a luxury truck and it isn't meant to haul stuff or go on dirt roads  :confused:  , or she wants to keep it the way her dad had it.

/rant

Now the reason I made the thread:

The tires need to go in the next few months here, so....

How safe is it to run tires like this off road? I'm talking like 500 feet one way.

Would a taller sidewall be beneficial?

Am I in the wrong for wanting to change the truck and should I accept what she wants?

Keep in mind I am in the desert, so its pretty rocky out there.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments/opinions  :thumbsup:

You'll bend a rim if you hit a rock or hole, even on the road if you hit a curb. Keep the wheels and tires and run them in like the summer or for show. Get another set of stock wheels from an f150 or your same truck off craigslist and get some all terrains and use those for your off road.

For 500' at a time on dirt/gravel roads you should be just fine. Just go slow.

Hey guys/gals,

My wife inherited a truck from her step dad who passed away 4-5 months ago. They were pretty close so it was pretty hard on her. Anyways, the truck is a Lincoln Mark LT, and the truck is replacing our main vehicle for hauling the bikes to and from the trails, which was a hyundai santa fe and a 4 x 8 trailer, both of which we are getting rid of.

He invested quite a bit of money in the truck. Aftermarket stereo, exhaust, performance chip....quite a few things. One of which was 24" wheels with barely any sidewall (IMO, UGLY). 

My big issue are these wheels. Not only do we take the truck for short distances off road to unload, but we plan on doing some road trips in the next coming year. The tires on these are not in the best condition, and a new set is $1400+  :jawdrop:

Now, oddly enough he left a 17" wheel in the back of the truck, with a nice, big tire on it. I looked up prices for another 3 and a set of tires for all 4, its gonna be in the $900 range. 

Sounds great right? Now here's the problem I am having, the wife. 

She doesn't want to change anything in the truck, at all. She either says its going to look goofy, its a luxury truck and it isn't meant to haul stuff or go on dirt roads  :confused:  , or she wants to keep it the way her dad had it.

/rant

Now the reason I made the thread:

The tires need to go in the next few months here, so....

How safe is it to run tires like this off road? I'm talking like 500 feet one way.

Would a taller sidewall be beneficial?

Am I in the wrong for wanting to change the truck and should I accept what she wants?

Keep in mind I am in the desert, so its pretty rocky out there.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments/opinions  :thumbsup:

Tell her you will hang on to the goofy stupid wheels, but to actually make the truck functional for your use, you must have a tire with some sidewall. I ts not only practical, its a safety issue. Plus a flat out of town, trying to get new stupid tires can be tricky. Just store the stupid wheels on her side of the bedroom for safe keeping. She will want to sell them shortly after that.

Be nice to locate the stock set of 20" wheels that came on that truck. They looked decent.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

The ride will suck all the way around with those 24's. I'm with the "stock size is best" group. Find the same wheel in a 20 or 19 and make a compromise with your wife. Same style wheel, better afford-ability and ride! Sell the 24's to some "kid" for what you buy your new tires for and help pay for the "new" set up.

Make it an easy choice for her. Tell you either need to get smaller less ghettofied wheels with larger sidewall tires or sell the truck and get something that will suit your needs better. 

Make it an easy choice for her. Tell you either need to get smaller less ghettofied wheels with larger sidewall tires or sell the truck and get something that will suit your needs better. 

+1, If she is to emotionally attached to the truck to use it as a truck, you might be better off selling it.

Well guys, I've got her convinced!

She wasn't too happy about it at first, but I put that 17" on and she liked it. She was kinda sad seeing it but she said it looks cool. I explained to her the safety issues and told her in the summer months I can put the 24" ones back on for her.

So I found the 3 remaining rims I need on ebay for a good price, now I need tires.

Is it worth it to go all terrain if most of my travelling is on highway? 

Like I said, its about 500 feet of dirt max at my usual trails. I may go to 1 or 2 that are about 1 mile of dirt roads every couple of months. 

Thanks again guys, I need to get rid of my sissy little car and get my own truck. I really only bought it to build credit and at the time I didn't have bikes to haul. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass!

Maybe I'll get myself an F-150 and I can use those 17" rims on it and she can keep her goofy 24"s :thumbsup:  

Edited by yama21

Honestly, IMO, if your wife has sentimental attachment to the vehicle I wouldn't use the truck for dirtbike stuff. It'll get trashed that way. I know my moto truck gets its share of punishment anyway. But then I drive a beater and I see lots of folks riding around in $60k super trucks so what the heck do I know.

I would get some LT's or HT's. No need for A/T's unless you want to look "cool" and possibly lose some MPG. Just make sure they have the proper load rating. 

I would get some LT's or HT's. No need for A/T's unless you want to look "cool" and possibly lose some MPG. Just make sure they have the proper load rating. 

Cool, that's what I was thinking.

The lone wheel I have has a Goodyear AT/S on it at the moment. I was looking at the tread this morning, and its actually in really good condition.

Would there be any issues if I used 3 new tires with this one?

it looks like its the cheapest option right now, even if I get 4 of the cheapest HT's.  

Honestly, IMO, if your wife has sentimental attachment to the vehicle I wouldn't use the truck for dirtbike stuff. It'll get trashed that way. I know my moto truck gets its share of punishment anyway. But then I drive a beater and I see lots of folks riding around in $60k super trucks so what the heck do I know.

I see where you are coming from, and I completely agree. 

But, financially, I can't afford a 3rd truck just to use as my "riding truck" (I probably could, but I'd rather have extra money at the end of the month). So it's either use this one or not ride at all.

The good thing is though, she has a bike too, so she tends to be okay with it when it involves dirt bikes.

Like I said earlier though, I do want to get rid of my car and get a truck.  

I agree with LTs. I have BFGoogrich Long Terrains on my Silverado and love them. 25,000 miles on them of road use and they're still looking good. Great for use on forest roads as well.

was that 17inch wheel you have the factory spare? or just an extra

No, her dad had it in the back of the truck, i dont know why but it fits perfect. The stocks were 18

Ford has 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels on the F-150. The Lincoln is an F-150 with a little bling on it. Any set of wheels from an 04 F-150 will swap right onto the truck.

I would be watching Craigs list for a set to show, keep the 17 as a spare and have 4 fresh tires mounted up.