Sign in to follow this  

Did I fark my bike up?

I am hoping someone can help me here. Last night I was riding and the bike just dies when I go to coast the bike to a stop going about 60mph at a stop light. I try and start it up but no go. Figure its the battery so I give it a couple of tries and it starts up. Weird because the bike usually starts with no hesitation. So I go and it dies again about a couple miles down the street. Great, now the battery is out of juice and I can't start it no more. Call up my buddy and he brings a jumper cable. We end up starting the bike and I head home. As I'm 1 mile away from home the bike shuts off again but this time I wasn't at a stop I was moving. The bike buckles real hard to a stop and I hear loud engine clacking like when your in first gear trying to kick a engine over. eek7.gif So I decided to push the bike home the rest of the way. I put the bike on battery tender over night. This morning I try to start the bike over and all I hear is loud 'CLACK CLACK' while the engine tries to start but no turnover. It's pretty darn loud. Did I really fark my bike up? Why would a dead battery cause this? bncry.gif This is my first bike and I always did the oil changes on time so I have no idea &%$#@! is up. Any help would be appreciated!

This is a stock 2004 DRZ400S with no mods if it makes a difference.

Edited by outlaws

Is the noise coming from the left side of the motor? With no mods done I'm assuming that means the loc-tite fixes weren't done. And since your battery would take juice but not charge I would be pulling the stator cover to see if the bike tried to eat itself.

• Like 2

have you actually checked your oil ? in anycase i'd have the head off asap.

How many miles on the bike?  lets hope the stator screws undid themselves and messed up the stator,  thats a easy fix,  so +1,  start by remvoing the stator cover.

Around 11k miles on the bike. I will check the oil level when I get home but I did a oil change just 1-2 months ago and put fresh 2Qt of oil and theres no oil dripping so I can't imagine the oil level being low. I will get a video of the sound tonight. At this point the stator could be the cause but would that cause the engine to not start/crank over because there is def enough juice to start after putting the bike on the tender overnight? 

Didnt check the oil levels for 2 months? Thats alot of time!

I check on a daily / weekly basis.

Hi,  nice to see someone from Israel on here,   i was wondering if they had the DRZ in israel,  can we see some pics of yours please. 

Also was the car running during jump? Just a side not a running car jumping a motorcycle ...the amperage drop is overcompensated by the alternator causing the electromagnets to kick up and dumps mega average into you're bike and can fry you're ecu like nobody's business..sounds like you got lucky and it ran afterwards ...never jump a bike with a "running" vehicle ...pull you're cases a bet she came loose..lock tite trick...sounds like a charging issues aswell

So much mis-informatin on jumping a bike from a car.  No need to have the car running.  Best practice is to not have the car running.  The likelihood of a running car jumping to a motorcycle causing damage to the motorcycle is low.  It takes various odd simultaneous faults to create a problem.  

In the past I have advised not to have the car running and explained why and I still advise that.  But to say you are extremely lucky to have not killed your motorcycle electrical system is over stating the consequences.

• Like 2

The video seems to indicate the sound is timed with crank shaft rotation.

I would suggest.

Pulling the left cover, check the flywheel / starter gear fasteners.

If nothing found

Pull the plug,, is it damaged?

if nothing found

drain the oil.. metal on the drain plug? In the drained oil? in the filter?

remove the seat, tank and valve cover.. check the valve clearances .. any of them VERY open?

If all is normal

Time to dig deeper...pull the motor and be ready to take it down to split cases.

Alright gentlemen, here is what I found after taking it apart tonight:

Stator looks not burnt out. Starter screws are in place. When I opened up the left side cover a bunch of oil came out which I think is normal but along with the oil came mixed with green coolant.... Def doesn't seem normal. Also when i pulled the spark plug it was dirty, although the gap looks ok but I will have to verify that as well. After opening the top end to check timing it looks alright to me but I'm not sure. I forgot to pick up some feeler gauges today so I can't check the valve clearances. To me everything looks ok except the the coolant mixed with oil when I opened the left side cover. Is there anything else I'm missing?

lzCYEzQl.jpg

rfS0YT9l.jpg

mqxhKYdl.jpg

Edited by outlaws

Alright gentlemen, here is what I found after taking it apart tonight:

Stator looks not burnt out. Starter screws are in place. When I opened up the left side cover a bunch of oil came out which I think is normal but along with the oil came mixed with green coolant.... Def doesn't seem normal. Also when i pulled the spark plug it was dirty, although the gap looks ok but I will have to verify that as well. After opening the top end to check timing it looks alright to me but I'm not sure. I forgot to pick up some feeler gauges today so I can't check the valve clearances. To me everything looks ok except the the coolant mixed with oil when I opened the left side cover. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Just to be clear... your not checking "Starter screws" you were checking the flywheel starter clutch fasteners. If that is what you meant good,, so they were all present and tight?

Coolant should NOT come oil when removing the left side cover..... that is bad. Was the oil emulsified?  (think chocolate milkshake)

Drain the oil... what else comes out?

The stator can "look" burned for a verity of reasons and still be electrically good... It can look clean and good and still be shorted.. IOW looks really are not a good indicator of stator condition.