Sign in to follow this  

Mongo no good at clips/rings

So last night was my first top end rebuild. I got my cylinder replated with Powerseal and matched my Wiseco piston with them as well. I was fitting it all up and made a right mess of installing the rings and wrist pin clips. Is it a huge deal if I made some surface scratches on the piston? I don't think it was anything major, just slipped with a clip or a ring and enough to see a scratch on the surface. The rings seem to have seated well in the cylinder and it all moves well. Just want to make sure I didn't screw everything up before I fire it up.

Thanks

Fire away, its fine. So long as its minor scratches and scuffs, not gouges.

get a c clip tool for the future, bux tools, pit posse etc make a cheap tool that make it very easy

• Like 1

get a c clip tool for the future, bux tools, pit posse etc make a cheap tool that make it very easy

Phew good deal. Yeah, I'd hardly call anything gauges, just when a ring or clip slipped from me putting them in by hand. I have since watched the proper install video from Wiseco and also noted that Bux tool and feel like a dolt. I should have waited and done it proper, live and learn. Thanks

Ya, I did the same thing.  Actually, I got the clip in the first time (the second clip, once it's on the bike), but I thought it flew... I have terrible light in my garage, so I didn't see it... spent the next few hours trying to figure out WTF was going on!  

Anyway, ordered one of these for next time: http://www.buxtools.com/

This~~

Blazing Saddle's reference. Nice

Edited by Mrbinkels

Phew good deal. Yeah, I'd hardly call anything gauges, just when a ring or clip slipped from me putting them in by hand. I have since watched the proper install video from Wiseco and also noted that Bux tool and feel like a dolt. I should have waited and done it proper, live and learn. Thanks

Hah, thats nothing, ive had to spend hrs fishing a clip out of the bottom end after i dropped it. or they launch across the shop and im on my hands and knees for hrs trying to find it

Haha yeah I forgot to put the one clip in off the bike, but when trying for the first time to get it on the bike it slipped and sat straight on the crank. I said praize jeebus and threw a rag on there asap haha. It's even called out in the service manual to put a rag there during the process which I of course read after the fact lol. Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to make sure I didn't fudge up my shiny new piston to the point of needing replacing.

Even after years of doing it, I'm famous for the flying c-clip across the shop. I have gotten good at listening for the landing