300XC or XC-W... That is the question....

Ok, so I am going to a local dealer to hopefully make a deal on a 13 300. I am not sure if I am going with the XC or XC-W, and I know that’s a hard decision. I currently ride a 06 CFR450 that is sprung for my weight on the trails and its wearing me out. I ride mostly in Georgia at the popular riding resorts and plan on doing some fun races next year. So here are my questions for the forum:

Would a weekend rider really be able to tell the difference in between the 2 models?

I assume with either model I will need it re-sprung for my weight (195lbs)?

Should I just go with the better deal and not worry about the differences?

I plan on in the winter having the forks and shock re-valved, so I will have the ability to change the suspension but I would like to start with a solid platform.

I am thinking if the XC will work for the trails and the track I can sell the CRF or if the XC-W is the better fit then I can keep them both, but it would be nice to have a bike that could pull double duty.

And yes I have searched and read and read the opinions of the forum. I test rode the 250 XC at the demo day and I was sold except for the low end issue and with the 300 it looks like that is somewhat resolved. I also rode the 450 XC-W and the suspension seemed soft to me. Just wondering if the 300 XC-W will feel the same? If someone has ridded the 2 back to back that would help a lot. 

300.jpgI personally love my XCW...has done me well.  I have it resprung and in the forks I changed the oil weight to 5 instead of 4 and I raised the level to 115mm instead of 135mm stock.  I have a Slaven's Mule head, Gnarly pipe and Trubinecore.  This is an awesome woods bike.

For me the xc-w was a no brainer ! The lower 1-2 gears make trail riding more manageable when the going gets tough and you will use your clutch less in 1st gear threw the ugly stuff. And it's 5 lbs lighter than the xc so when I added a skid plate and pro bend hand guards my xc-w now weighs the same as the xc. I am a skid plate smasher guy and the xc-w has a little more ground clearance too. I also like the telemetry on the xc-w :)

I will never own a linkage bike again, a much better design for off road IMO

The transmission is a coin flip, depends on what you like. I like the xc-w and a rekluse.

For me the xc-w was a no brainer ! The lower 1-2 gears make trail riding more manageable when the going gets tough and you will use your clutch less in 1st gear threw the ugly stuff. And it's 5 lbs lighter than the xc so when I added a skid plate and pro bend hand guards my xc-w now weighs the same as the xc. I am a skid plate smasher guy and the xc-w has a little more ground clearance too. I also like the telemetry on the xc-w :)

You say The XC-w has a lower first two gears? and lighter than the XC?

Edited by byeatts

You can see the 300 XC in tight gnarly trails in my last few vids , see my posts in my profile ...or I can post link. The XC does fine in the slow nasty and fast open too.

You can see the 300 XC in tight gnarly trails in my last few vids , see my posts in my profile ...or I can post link. The XC does fine in the slow nasty and fast open too.

Does the suspension feel too harsh? I have seen the videos. 

You say The XC-w has a lower first two gears? and lighter than the XC?

yes , that is correct .

yes , that is correct .

yes , that is correct .

how does 3rd gear of XCW in comparison to the XC? 

Edited by byeatts

3-6 are the same. Some complain of the gap between 2-3 on the xc-w , mainly those who had the 13-48 gearing that the bike use to come with, once they re geared to 13-50 it made the gap disappear or better. The 13" has 13-50 gearing from factory. If you are running faster speeds most of the time the xc is the ticket hands down. For Enduro / trail riding I would go with the xc-w for a do all bike. XC is a sharper tool for higher speed and stability .

3-6 are the same. Some complain of the gap between 2-3 on the xc-w , mainly those who had the 13-48 gearing that the bike use to come with, once they re geared to 13-50 it made the gap disappear or better. The 13" has 13-50 gearing from factory. If you are running faster speeds most of the time the xc is the ticket hands down. For Enduro / trail riding I would go with the xc-w for a do all bike. XC is a sharper tool for higher speed and stability .

my 09 300 XCW has 5 gears?

Edited by byeatts

I ran 13/49 & 13/50 ...the gap on the '09 was bad , just could never be in the right gear. Ended up putting an Sx 1st & 2nd gear in the tranny, fixed the prob completely. idk if the new xcw are as wide between 2nd and 3rd

I ran 13/49 & 13/50 ...the gap on the '09 was bad , just could never be in the right gear. Ended up putting an Sx 1st & 2nd gear in the tranny, fixed the prob completely. idk if the new xcw are as wide between 2nd and 3rd

mine is set up truly for woods. 12/52 and auto clutch, i run 3rd-4th  all day in the nasty and only seldom hit 2nd.no gap here . flawless

Edited by byeatts

mine is set up truly for woods. 12/52 and auto clutch, i run 3rd-4th all day in the nasty and only seldom hit 2nd.no gap here . flawless

with 12/52 yeah you could run 3rd gear but lose alot of top speed ???

yah only run up to 50ish for trail connections. all riding is singletrack, 

thats plenty . maybe the newer xcw are not as gappy as the 09 that i had???

12 Xc-w here. Personally, I like the XC better for the cc forks and billet triple clamp, linkage rear is something i would rather have too. Don't get me wrong, I love both, but I went with the W as that is all available at the time.

12 Xc-w here. Personally, I like the XC better for the cc forks and billet triple clamp, linkage rear is something i would rather have too. Don't get me wrong, I love both, but I went with the W as that is all available at the time.

All my buddys hate the CC forked for singletrack. not plush at all,they have to revalve to get them to work on our terrain . better for track

Edited by byeatts

Heres XC's in very rocky single track. They go thru it like a Caddilac. Scroll vid to about 1:48 it starts getting rocky

Edited by avocasingletrack