Sign in to follow this  

Anyone expanded their XR tank?

Interesting Muzz..I didn't see them take it off again???,,Surely it won't just expand on the outer side.. :lol:

Also has me thinking whether boiling water and clamps wouldn't solve my tank reshape issue..Enough of it in the required spot may be an answer apart from flame or heat gun..

Edited by Horri

Yes I did this to my stock600r tank and got an extra 3L or so.

I used a scuba tank instead of a bike pump but same same.

Especially important is not to overdo it and also to do it with tank in situ and leave to cool.

Otherwise you might find the tank mounting holes wont fit if you do it off the bike then try fitting after cooling.

A good mod.

D

This is the steps to do it first you need somthing big enough to boil say 3 + gals of water. Get a air valve that will fit into vent for cap. Oh drain gas and turn off petcock. pour in boiling water wait 5 10 mins hook up hand pump and SLOWLY pump you will see tank to start expanding dont put to much at one time you will blow off vent hose. let cool overnight! repeat till you get what you want. Anything over 1/2 3/4 gal will make tank shape wide and a bubble.

It's a whole lot easier to just buy the right size plastic tank in the first place.

I've never felt the need to expand my Clarke 4.7 gallon tank.

hhmmm.I started out fitting a big Acerbis tank but find it overkill and too much weight forward in sand, so opted for the slightly blown out standard one and leave the bowser @ home.

horses for courses.

D