Sign in to follow this  

yamaha 1972 at 125

Hey all i just purchased an old Yamaha 125 for 200 bucks that didnt run, The compression was good so i decided to get it.

I took it home cleaned the carbs out with cleaner put it all back together cleaned the points because i was not getting a spark and changed the battery.

Once i did all that in the first kick it fired right up. But no matter what i do it idles at 8k rpm... im not sure whats wrong but i think it has to do with my cable and how it sits in the carb.

Is it supposed to be having pressure like this? http://imgur.com/7IfGEPd

Any advice on the problem would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Andy

Hey all i just purchased an old Yamaha 125 for 200 bucks that didnt run, The compression was good so i decided to get it.

I took it home cleaned the carbs out with cleaner put it all back together cleaned the points because i was not getting a spark and changed the battery.

Once i did all that in the first kick it fired right up. But no matter what i do it idles at 8k rpm... im not sure whats wrong but i think it has to do with my cable and how it sits in the carb.

Is it supposed to be having pressure like this? http://imgur.com/7IfGEPd

Any advice on the problem would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Andy

Looks about right check to make sure your not putting the slide in back wards.  If you do it will not go down all the way.  then check to make sure the idle screw is turned out enough to let the slide drop down. 

You should be able to visually see the throttle close or hear it "snap".  Try adjusting the cable so there's a little free play, then look to see if the throttle valve is shut.  If it all works, you could have an air leak somewhere or a lean condition from a dirty carb.