Sign in to follow this  

2000 rm125 project

Alright so my little brother has been looking for a bike to get back into the sport, since he sold his yz85 a few years ago. He finally found one it is a 2000 rm125 that needs a full out rebuild so I went an picked it up for him and got the guy down to 400. Since I've been looking at it (the kid already had the motor torn apart) I don't think the kid was to good on keeping things organized, and I think there's probably a few small but important things he misplaced. My question is should I just get another bottom end that wasn't split and do it or should I try and fix up this mess?

Ok so there's a few questions I have 1. The top of the cylinder it looks eaten away almost what could have caused this and can it be repaired 2. That little hole that my fingers next to down at the bottom of the case, I don't think it's supposed to be there but it looks like something that was cast into the case not drilled or cracked?

A drain hole for what though that's where the two case halfs come together? Yes I will take the cylinder to powerseal though and that's only because its a ten minute drive from my house.

Just took a better look at the crank.... The rod bearing is shot the rollers are worn smooth... Now for bottom end options 1. Do I go with a hot rods complete bottom end rebuild 2. Do I use existing crank get the rod pressed out and get a new rod bearing and stroker crank? Any other options that I've looked over please post

Wisco cranks are junk. Hotrods are going the same path. If the hotrods fail, its up to them if they warrenty them. It's also cheaper to buy a rod kit and have your sticker rebuilt. Prox rods are factory used and great replacements.

Yes I was mainly lookin at the hotrods kit but if I get my rod rebuilt then can I find a seal and gasket kit?

Haha, I said sticker...auto correct. Anyway, yes you can get seals and gaskets anywhere. I go threw my friend, rockymountainatvmc or eBay. I've made base gaskets before in a pinch.

All good, I hate auto correct sometimes! But I was looking through eBay and I can't find any thin for a 2000 rm only 01 to 03? Can I use 01 to 03 parts or are they not interchangeable?

I have always used wiseco cranks and personally I have never had any troubles. I have one in my 125 with about 2hrs of race time on it and its been working great. On my 85 it has about 60 hrs on the hot rods crank and it has given me no trouble. Personally i would go with a hot rods crank.

Ok sounds good!!! Ya I wonder if wiseco is making a come back with quality control. While we're in the topic I have not been able to find a full bottom end rebuild for a 2000 rm125 I'm talking seals I've been able to find a full gasket kit just not a full seal kit. Also anyone know what kinda clamps these are there aluminum and it looks not factory.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381610559.526316.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381610575.758277.jpg

Ok sounds good!!! Ya I wonder if wiseco is making a come back with quality control. While we're in the topic I have not been able to find a full bottom end rebuild for a 2000 rm125 I'm talking seals I've been able to find a full gasket kit just not a full seal kit. Also anyone know what kinda clamps these are there aluminum and it looks not factory.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381610559.526316.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381610575.758277.jpg

Have you tried Ebay? If they don't have any you could maybe contact wiseco by phone or E-mail and ask if you could buy a bottom end kit from them. Those clamps might be factory but maybe the guy buffed em shiny?

Edited by suzukirider103

I have been searching eBay with no luck for my year. Another thing that confuses me is what years are interchangeable some say 96-00 and some 00-03? Just search wiseco's site again can't find a complete crank for it.... Little background on the crank the PO ran straight gas through it and seized the rod bearing. Can I still use the crank half's press out the rod and put a new rod pin bearing and washers in there and get it balanced? Or is it more sorry first bottom end I'm doing just need to be pointed in the right direction.

I have been searching eBay with no luck for my year. Another thing that confuses me is what years are interchangeable some say 96-00 and some 00-03? Just search wiseco's site again can't find a complete crank for it.... Little background on the crank the PO ran straight gas through it and seized the rod bearing. Can I still use the crank half's press out the rod and put a new rod pin bearing and washers in there and get it balanced? Or is it more sorry first bottom end I'm doing just need to be pointed in the right direction.

The 01-03 rm125s are the same. and i belive 96-2000 is the same. someone correct me if I'm wrong. Yes the cranks half's should still be good. It should be able to be balanced.

96-00 you say hmm ill do a bit more research and see if I can find some solid info.

another question looks like a full gasket kit has rubber seals in the picture? now does it actually come with the seals or not?