Wont stay running without the choke.

Sorry if this has been covered before, Search didnt return a whole lot.

So i havent ridden the bike in maybe 2 months or so and i went down to fire her up. Started up good and strong with the choke out but once i put the choke in it sputters and died. Took it around the block, started in first with the choke out and then once i was going would put the choke in. Bike is fine as long as im on the gas, but once off it dies. Also noticed a lot of backfiring.

Thought it could be bad gas so i drained it and put some new stuff in and it still is having problems. Any ideas would be a lot of help guys.

Edited by afcforme

Slow jet is plugged or partially plugged.   Gas has varnsihed up in there.  You need to take the carb out and clean it. 

Carb cleaner works the best, but will melt rubber and plastic.  Brake cleaner is not as harsh, but it doesn't melt varnished up gas easily.

Jim.

Idle too low? Choke increases the fuel/air ratio so maybe it gets enough fuel with it on but not without it-unless you hold the gas.

By the way, use fuel stabilizer if your bike sits a lot.  Also user the following procedure to shutdown:

1. With the bike running, shut the petcock off.

2. Blip the throttle three or four times.

3. Run the rpms up a bit and hit the kill switch.

This keeps gas low in the float bowl and clears the jets of gas.

Jim.

Shit, i should say. WONT run without the choke. Still likely the same issue?

Edited by afcforme

Shit, i should say. WONT run without the choke. Still likely the same issue?

Put in a BRAND NEW pilot jet. 

If the old jet is really corroded, you will have clear the passage above the pilot with fishing line first.

Do not turn off the petcock and then run the motor, to lower the fuel in the float bowl.

This will cause faster evaporation, and will speed up corrosion.

Keep the bowl full between rides, or completely empty, by leaning the bike over on both sides to drain the bowl via the over flow.

You must treat your gas with Ethanol treatment every tank.

Do not turn off the petcock and then run the motor, to lower the fuel in the float bowl.

This will cause faster evaporation, and will speed up corrosion.

Evaporate to where?  If you keep your fuel bowl full, that means the bottom of the jets are constantly in gas.

Personally, I'm not going to argue with sucess; I haven't had a plugged jet yet.

Besides which, it's also the specified shutdown procedure in the owners manual.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Evaporate to where?  If you keep your fuel bowl full, that means the bottom of the jets are constantly in gas.

Personally, I'm not going to argue with sucess; I haven't had a plugged jet yet.

Besides which, it's also the specified shutdown procedure in the owners manual.

Jim.

I had this discussion a few years ago in another forum, and a few tech's chimed in saying that unless all the fuel is out of the bowl, keeping the bowl as full a possible slows down the evaporation of the petroleum portions of the fuel; when the fuel is low (but not gone) in the bowl,  the quick evaporation of the petroleum portion occurs,  leaving the ethanol portion, which then quickly absorbs moisture from the air, causing quick corrosion. Two weeks is all it takes.

I don't know if it's true, but I stopped running my bike's 'dry' since then, and no longer have to clean the apump nozzles every few months. That, and religious fuel treatment.

you guys should see how good our fuel is in Australia! can leave it in the tank and carb for 5 years without problems!

I had this discussion a few years ago in another forum, and a few tech's chimed in saying that unless all the fuel is out of the bowl, keeping the bowl as full a possible slows down the evaporation of the petroleum portions of the fuel; when the fuel is low (but not gone) in the bowl,  the quick evaporation of the petroleum portion occurs,  leaving the ethanol portion, which then quickly absorbs moisture from the air, causing quick corrosion. Two weeks is all it takes.

I don't know if it's true, but I stopped running my bike's 'dry' since then, and no longer have to clean the apump nozzles every few months. That, and religious fuel treatment.

Hum.  I can't see where it'd make a ton of difference unless maybe you parked out in the sun a lot, but I don't have enough experience to say otherwise for sure.  You'd have the same surface area either way, just more air sitting on top of it.  Maybe that's the issue. 

Might be the local too...I'm up in the North East, and I generally don't worry about hot temps.  The southwest on the other hand may be an entirely different story.

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

Yes, it is the air that is the problem.

Just like a half full gas can and a full gas can. The half full gas can will have ethanol separation twice as fast.

Over the off-season I'll pull my float bowls and get some first-hand experience.   I've been following that shutdown procedure with both bikes since day one and I got them brand new.  Haven't always used fuel stabilzer either, although I have always run gas with no ethanol. 

Jim.

Over the off-season I'll pull my float bowls and get some first-hand experience.   I've been following that shutdown procedure with both bikes since day one and I got them brand new.  Haven't always used fuel stabilzer either, although I have always run gas with no ethanol. 

Jim.

No Ethanol?? Must be nice...

By the way, use fuel stabilizer if your bike sits a lot.  Also user the following procedure to shutdown:

1. With the bike running, shut the petcock off.

2. Blip the throttle three or four times.

3. Run the rpms up a bit and hit the kill switch.

This keeps gas low in the float bowl and clears the jets of gas.

Jim.

I use the same procedure and have never had a clogged pilot or main in 7 years... Although I do completely tear down my Carb every 6 months and clean.

Gentlemen, thank you for all the help and tips!

Is there by any chance a video or step by step out there for cleaning a X carb. Im pretty much a complete noob to carb cleaning and even getting in there and what to look for.

It may be a coincidence, I don't know, every time I use a fuel conditioner I have problems with my carb. Never failed. I was using stabil the last time I had carb problems.

To have a bike sit for 5 years and not have a problem with your carb is phenomenal. Ethanol is a big problem. I have yet to take some proactive steps to heed this problem. But it's coming.

hot start cable too tight or binding up?

No Ethanol?? Must be nice...

Yes, it is.   Ethanol is fairly corrosive and will scour a fuel system pretty well.   I bet you that also accounts for what you've seen with keeping gas levels down in the bowl vs what I've experienced.

Just goes to show you that you always need to be careful when giving / taking advice on-line, because it's impossible to know every factor involved.   I didn't even think about Ethanol in the gas, well, because I've never had to deal with it.

Jim.

Yeah, and I've had my run of gas treatment problems too.

I found the Stabil that is normally available is just as big a problem as no treatment at all.

You have to use the 'Ethanol' version, but preferably, you should use high performance  treatment that uses more than just alcohol and enzymes...

Tri-G

Lucas

Torco