Any Ideas on whats wrong with my xr200

Hello,

I started riding today and when I got up to higher rpms to shift to second it just lost power, it will run in 1st just fine at slow speeds but you cant get to second gear because it doesn't keep the rpms up. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks

I'd check and clean the Carby first. Possible leaning out. Could be an air leak also. Not sure with 4T tuning to be honest but if it were a 2T I'd be more confident in my reply, you did say "Any advice" lol.

It can only be one of three things. Electrical, Mechanical or fuel/air related. Just use the process of elimination to find the Issue. My guess would be a fuel/air Issue

When a bike is too rich it will splatter in the top end, when lean it will loose power and pretty much die when you give it WOT

Edited by AddictedToBling

Can you be more specific on the rpm not coming up? Does it still run smooth WOT but just not rev? Does it sputter until you let off the gas?

Can you be more specific on the rpm not coming up? Does it still run smooth WOT but just not rev? Does it sputter until you let off the gas?

it sputters until I let off the gas

What year is your 200?? 

I had that happen once and it was an obstructed air filter.

On a different bike I had a small bit of water plug the main jet.

And debris from old gas in the tank plug jets, but the first to plug are usually those in the low speed circuit.

I also had a bike that mice built a nest in the airbox that almost completely covered the filter.  :banghead:

Pulling the carb takes time and is a PITA so I suggest reviewing when you last serviced some items:

When was the air filter last serviced and type/brand?

How long has the bike sat since the last ride?

How old is the gas?

Stored inside or outside?

Last time a new spark plug was installed? 

Also what year is the bike?

Then check the easy things before pulling the carb; air filter, spark plug, choke position when riding, fresh gas and fuel system flush.

Edited by chuck4788

What year is your 200?? 

Its a 2000

I had that happen once and it was an obstructed air filter.

I've also had a small bit of water plug the main jet.

And debris from old gas in the tank plug jets, but the first to plug are usually those in the low speed circuit.

I also had a bike that mice built a nest in the airbox that almost completely covered the filter.  :banghead:

Pulling the carb takes time and is a PITA so I suggest reviewing when you last serviced some items:

When was the air filter last serviced and type/brand?

How long has the bike sat since the last ride?

How old is the gas?

Stored inside or outside?

Last time a new spark plug was installed? 

Also what year is the bike?

Then check the easy things before pulling the carb; air filter, spark plug, choke position when riding, fresh gas and fuel system flush.

Alright I'll be sure to check everything, I'll post back on here when I figure anything out. Thanks

is the engine running ok when you hit second?  If the engine won't run right, then it's probably carb related, but if it revs up and there is no power, maybe the clutch is slipping.  I had a 200 a long time ago that had that, I had to put a new clutch in it.

my buddy has a 1988 xr200r with a 95 motor in it. He got it put back together and retimed, put a new carb on it with the jets from the old carb. He set the idle, air and fuel screws to what they should be. The bike needs the choke to start and once it fires it revs up all the way without touching the throttle. any help would be great! thanks

Very common issue. The carb slide is not installed correctly.

With the engine off if you twist and release the throttle you should be able to feel the slide hit the the idle speed screw (put one hand on the carb). Also little or no play in the throttle if the slide is installed correctly.

If I remove the slide I always do the above check before starting the engine to make sure the slide will return to the idle position.

we fixed the high idle but now its doesnt wanna start. we got it fired up and running for about 5 seconds it idled with the choke and stalled shortly after. could this be a float issue? float height? clearance?

iceman97, my bike was doing the same thing. Try what chuck mentioned with the throttle slide. Is your carb clean? Do you have the right jetting?

thanks Ev_Rider2 the carb is clean i was thinking about a jet swap or float height adjustment

Stock, or even slightly modified ,engines run great with stock jetting if everything else is per specs. So I suggest checking the easy things first before the more difficult to check items. Rich mixture may  be from a bad, or improperly oiled air filter; or high float level. Lean mixture from an obstructed carb passage, or low float level. 

More info that may help:

Cleaning carbs: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/757372-fixing-carburetor-problems/#entry7745927

Fixing timing chain adjusting issues by OSA: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/232052-old-school-al-cam-chain-question/

Checking timing: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/944043-powroll-218-build/