Sign in to follow this  

Insanely Good Deal Or Run?

I've been hunting around for a fun woods bike.  I got pretty interested in the KDX 220, but have also kept an eye open for a KTM 300 EXC.  I found a guy locally that has a 300 that needs a new crank.  He also has a 2005 KTM 250 SXF that has no motor.  He was planning to use the 250 suspension and wheels for the 300.  He wants $1000 for both.  A new bottom end kit for the 300 is around $330, plus labor.  Does anyone have an idea what labor might cost me on a job like that?  It might take some time, but after building up the 300 I could part out the rest and offset some of the repair costs.  

Advice?

IMG955594_zpscf74257b.jpg

IMG956496_zps26d16448.jpg

IMG_2391_zps0565bbd6.jpg

Locally I've paid from 250 to 300 to have the cases split, pretty much covered new main bearings/seals as well. 1000 doesn't seem out of line, parting out everything in the worst case would pay you back at least..

Not sure what year the 300 is, looks like an 02 or 03? I'd sell the 250f roller, I would guess the suspension that's already on the 300 is better suited to the bike then the 250f suspension would be.

Edited by poldies4

Sorry, forgot to mention the 300 is also a 2005.  He raced woods/motocross with it and seems to be pretty honest and knowledgeable. I think you're right about selling the 250 as a roller.  Kind of diggin' the black wheels though.  No clue what a rolling frame would go for, I would probably let it go cheap though to get some cash back in pocket.  

I personally would not touch the 2005 250F with a 10 foot pole, i'd sell it as is.

The 300 on the other hand, if thats what you want,  id say fix it and let it rip.

1000 for 2 bikes doesn't sound to bad(I know you don't get the motor from the one) unless the parts aren't as interchangeable between the 2 then maybe not so much. got my 03' 300 for 1800, but it is in 100% working condition. so if parts and labor is only 600 for a 2005 then maybe it will be worth it. a newer bike, with a fresh bottom. 

• Like 1

1000 for 2 bikes doesn't sound to bad(I know you don't get the motor from the one) unless the parts aren't as interchangeable between the 2 then maybe not so much. got my 03' 300 for 1800, but it is in 100% working condition. so if parts and labor is only 600 for a 2005 then maybe it will be worth it. a newer bike, with a fresh bottom. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  It seems sketchy to buy a bike with known issues.  But if you have to get it fixed then at least you know it's right and can keep track from there.  Someone might try selling you a bike with a "fresh bottom end" but how do you know unless you physically check.  I'm thinking I could get that 300 going for around $1700 invested, then who knows what I could get out of the 250.  Maybe $400 worst case scenario?  So yeah, a fresh newer model KTM for $1300... sounds good to me!  I haven't seen anything 2003+ for less than $2000.

• Like 1

That could actually be a cool deal if you are mechanically inclined. You will have to fashion up some motor mounts on the four stroke frame. However, maybe you can buy some oem ones that will fit because I think that the 300 had the same chassis. Not sure on that. If you want a project go for it. If you don't have the ability to rebuild it, no. If you have a bike already and that's a second one..go for it. It can teach you a lot. I would verify the integrity of the wheels, frame and the 300 motor. As always, i would try and get the guy to go down too. 

Just parting out the SXF will virtually pay for both. Wheels-$350, master cylinders and calipers-$150, shock-$100+, forks-$150+, plastics-$50, exhaust-$75, TC, handlebars, etc-$75 for some approximate prices. That's around $1,000 right there.

Basically you got a 300exc for free that needs a bit of work. Sounds good to me.

• Like 3

Any thoughts about sticking with the KDX 220?  I'm sure it would be a little more bulletproof than the KTM, and cheaper to maintain overall.  That's pretty high on my list.  I am mechanically inclined, I used to work as an airline mechanic.  I have a fair amount of tools, but I'm also in the military and building up a garage is tough with all the moving around we do.  Oil, filters, fluids, and lubes is about as far as I want go to Mx wise.  Also, I have no experience working on these motors.  An airline mechanic working on a dirt bike and knowing exactly what he's doing is like having a heart surgeon work on your brain, lol.

Also, what is absolutely #1 in my book is NOT GETTING HURT.  I don't want to get too much bike.  I have to ride smart and not push the envelope too much.  I'm in a training phase with the Navy and I don't want to slow that down in any way.  Perhaps not the best hobby to pick up, but you know how it is when it's in your blood.  "I just want a play bike" is what I keep telling myself.  I probably sound very sold on the KDX at this point, but a KTM on an amazing deal cannot be passed up.  Even if I just "flipped" the sale and then went for a KDX...  

Edited by Redbird 86

I think the reference is more appropriate stated as,

A neurosurgeon wrenching on your heart! ;-)

• Like 1

I don't htink there is a bad choice here either way. The KDX is an excellent bike with a great reputation, as is the KTM. I'm not extremely familiar with either model but I would have to expect the KTM would be like the KDX on steroids, it's all about how far you twist the throttle.

And for the record, so far my bike has cost the same to maintain as my Japanese bikes did. We'll see if that continues...

If your in the service im sure your likely in shape, I's say go with the 220 (great bikes) I love my 200 exc/sx but ive been racing for over 40 years at B and above levels. The 300 is a great bike but at above 35 hp in the woods can get you and even me im trouble. I had a 300 but it was a GG (Gas Gas) I also don't care for the 450Fs. the two for 1k sound good you just have to be careful with the throttle and that's easy to say when your not tired. Id say the KDX will make for a  lot more enjoyable ride, and that's what its all about.

Deals are out there and can be found all the time. KDX's are going to be harder to come by as time marches on. I would rather ride than wait for parts, and old race bikes ALWAYS need more than you first thought. If youre a newer rider, a KTM300 is much more bike than you need.

This fix up will take time. Budget two months (when off duty) to pull motor and re-install and then time to chase all the other unknown gremlins on the bike. Think about it, he has two non-running bikes. What else did he not maintain on these bikes? Betcha all bearings are rusted and or partially seized. Suspension seals and valves are prolly original and tired. Rims prolly have loose spokes that don't tighten. Partially bent rear sub frames. Swingarm ground down from improper chain tension/wear. Cracked inner/outer clutch covers that leak. Motor studs that are corroded due to ultra high pressure washer blasting. Water pump seals that are shot. Hard to know all this stuff when it's not running. More risk here. :)

If you have the time, go for it. As Ud_Luz said you essentially get a free bike. However, if you want to ride now there's plenty of cream puff KDXs out there for sale for cheap ready to ride. 200 or 220 it don't matter. Fairly easy to re-sale too. Fantastic entry level to mid level bike ready to ride now. 

There's no way you could buy a running in decent shape 300 for $1000 here anyway. 

Edited by shrubitup

I hear you on that shrubitup. I think I'm more in love with the idea of scoring a cheap KTM than I am about riding a KTM.  Maybe there's a reason he's selling both for $1000.  If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.  

This whole thing is more than just riding to me too though.  I like to sit in the garage and "tinker" (as my wife likes to put it) with a cold 6 pack.  So putting in the time to flip this purchase isn't really out of the question.  Ideally, I wouldn't tear into the 300 until I sold the 250.  As mentioned, who knows how long that could take.  I don't know many people who are looking for a bike with no motor.  Say I get lucky and someone buys it for $800.  That's the engine work, and a few hundred to play with for some unknowns.  Definitely rolling the dice on that one, but he says that the bike is sound other than needing engine work.  My pre-purchase inspection knowledge is only YouTube strong.  

Searching around the country on Ad Hunt'r for that specific model/year - it looks like I could comfortably expect to sell for $2200-2500.  A decent profit, and a good budget to search out my KDX.  

I hear you on that shrubitup. I think I'm more in love with the idea of scoring a cheap KTM than I am about riding a KTM.  Maybe there's a reason he's selling both for $1000.  If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.  

This whole thing is more than just riding to me too though.  I like to sit in the garage and "tinker" (as my wife likes to put it) with a cold 6 pack.  So putting in the time to flip this purchase isn't really out of the question.  Ideally, I wouldn't tear into the 300 until I sold the 250.  As mentioned, who knows how long that could take.  I don't know many people who are looking for a bike with no motor.  Say I get lucky and someone buys it for $800.  That's the engine work, and a few hundred to play with for some unknowns.  Definitely rolling the dice on that one, but he says that the bike is sound other than needing engine work.  My pre-purchase inspection knowledge is only YouTube strong.  

Searching around the country on Ad Hunt'r for that specific model/year - it looks like I could comfortably expect to sell for $2200-2500.  A decent profit, and a good budget to search out my KDX.  

Let me check, my bud may have a KDX 220. He did have one sitting in his shop a while back an in Bogalusa, Louisiana so possibly not to far for ya. the KTMs are full on race bikes so naturally are higher maintnance

• Like 1